Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 05:09 PM

175 posts, read 1,481,783 times

Advertisements

I am planning on selling For Sale By Owner, and am thinking of putting "by appointment only" on my Craigslists ad and sign in front yard, as well as other advertising. The main reason is, I have three (indoor-only) cats and am VERY afraid they would get out if an agent showed my house. Let's face it...an agent can't watch everything! All it would take is one small child seeing the house with mommy and daddy to 'accidentally' open a door and the cats could get out. There are coyotes, woods, many dangers which is why they are indoor only! So, I figure I gotta sell the house myself, by appointment only. Will this turn off a lot of potential buyers?
Please don't say "put the cats in cages" for an agent to show. I work 10 hour shifts and wouldn't subject them to that, nor would locking them in one room work...how could a buyer see that room then?
And no, I won't put them in a boarding kennel either. (No friends nearby to take them either.)
I figure at least if it's by appointment, I can put the cats in carriers just for an hour or so while showing the house. But does "by appointment only" turn off potential buyers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 06:06 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,674,599 times
IF you do list "By Appointment Only" and your at work and can't come show the house? What if that buyer can't stay till after your 10 hour shift to see the house? They may be on a VERY limited time schedule and if they are out and looking at houses w/ their agent and see yours and you happen to be at work......... you may have lost the sale. What if it was that one buyer that also had cats and would not mind buying a house w/ cats in it? With your work schedule I'd recommend you list your home w/ an agent that is willing to come over just before any and all showings and crate the kitty's for that time period. They usually have a 1-2 hour window that they will give to show so they won't be locked up in a crate all day. That way they are safe in their crates and no one can accidently let them out of an open door. You won't lose potential buyers because of your work schedule. The cats will also be safe. just my two cents

Old 03-10-2008, 06:14 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,387,090 times
Yes. You'll severely limit your showings. Buyers have a very short attention span and will move on incredibly quickly.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:24 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,170,990 times
Yes, you will hurt your chances. When a house that is listed is on the market for a long time for no obvious reason (good shape, priced right, etc.), one of the things that I often see is that the seller has made it difficult to view the house - 24 hours notice, only show between 2 and 4 on alternative Thursdays, that kind of thing. This would be the same thing.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:15 PM

10,889 posts, read 21,844,719 times
Agreed. You hurt your chances. How are going have an agent there without being present anyway? Are you going to put a lockbox on and give the code out to anyone calling saying they are an agent. You're already limiting exposure as a private seller, why limit potential showings too?

Old 03-10-2008, 07:19 PM

160 posts, read 798,873 times
There's too many houses on the market to limit your showings to "appointment only" if your definition of having an appointment means all showings have to be scheduled around your schedule. Even 24 hr notice listings are a hinderence for the avg home on the market. Normally you'll get the most showings the first week or two the house is on the market, for those first couple weeks you should try to make arrangments for the cats or plan to take a lot of time off work if you really have to be at all showings. The last thing you want to do is decline a showing because you can't make it there.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:22 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,257,798 times
This isn't in keeping with the OP, but then again it really is. Have you ever paid too much for value? A professional, (key word here: "professional") Realtor is seldom fully paid for the value they deliver whereas, many less than professional agents are too often overpaid. It is those overpaid agents who make people think they will be better off FSBO. I recommend that part of your day be spent looking for a truly professional Realtor. You will never regret having a pro. A part time doctor? ha... Why a part-time agent?

Old 03-10-2008, 07:29 PM

27,204 posts, read 46,522,862 times
You might hurt your chances but a real interested buyer want mind it because if you know what you want you want to see it. It is not a pants that you can buy in another shop. You will lose the less interested buyer.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:32 PM

10,889 posts, read 21,844,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
You might hurt your chances but a real interested buyer want mind it because if you know what you want you want to see it. It is not a pants that you can buy in another shop. You will lose the less interested buyer.
Any buyer is valuable and you will lose potential buyers. I know people who assume that seller will be difficult to deal with and there are plenty of other homes they can see today they might like. They'll go see those homes and write an offer today rather than wait for one they might like tomorrow.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:45 PM

739 posts, read 824,209 times
Sorry to say, but the 3 cats will do more to turn off potential buyers than restricting the showings. I know, I know. They don't stink. Yes - they do. I can tell a house with a cat as soon as I walk in. And for people who don't like the smell, the first impression is negative - not what you want. And sprays and candles only make it worse.

Almost all of my listings are appointment only, primarily due to the price range and complexity of the features and finishes. I always work with agents to accomodate tight schedules, but I've had agents show my listings who had no idea all of the features the home offered and therefore could not do justice in helping their client recognize the value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate