Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2017, 09:18 AM

229 posts, read 240,777 times

Advertisements

I suspect its just one more listing scam but I have gotten calls this week telling me they have a remote buyer who wants them to preview my home.

I have made it a rule to not show unless they have a prospective buyer with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 09:34 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,743,344 times
I would think it is synonymous with an out-of-town buyer. I've done that a few times for buyers in other states. Sometimes I'll use FaceTime or Skype. I've had buyers buy sight-unseen (having not physically been there) believe it or not.

You might be right, though.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:36 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
In Florida, a 'remote buyer' is not just someone who buys on Amazon, but, quite often a potential home buyer looking for a retirement or second home --- who doesn't have the time or interest to travel all over Florida to look a houses. Instead, they contact a realtor who clearly understands what they are looking for and has them narrow-down the possibilities to just a few, specifically applicable homes.

Also, when house-hunting, a really annoying thing I've seen in some realtors is laziness and a lack of knowledge of what's available. This is often accompanied by a willingness to show a potential buyer any house -- rather than only those that meet the buyer's specified criteria.

IMO, rules about not showing realtors one's home are designed only for the seller's convenience and contradict the whole home sale process. As a seller, I would rather have realtors who bring truly qualified and interested buyers to see my house, instead of one to wanders through with any warm body in tow. (Frankly, I think some realtors show buyers a few homes that are overpriced or do NOT meet their needs ... in order to 'set them up' for 1-2 homes that meet their needs and which they might actually buy.)

Old 06-17-2017, 09:54 AM

My inclination was to show this guy but I wasn't sure if remote buyer was what I thought it was. I have known several co-workers who were getting transferred have an agent look at the house and approve it for them to buy. Risky but they didn't have time to do the travel, taking kids out of school and such, and let someone do it for them.

Old 06-17-2017, 10:06 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki Siam View Post
My inclination was to show this guy but I wasn't sure if remote buyer was what I thought it was. I have known several co-workers who were getting transferred have an agent look at the house and approve it for them to buy. Risky but they didn't have time to do the travel, taking kids out of school and such, and let someone do it for them.
Going to see a property you are buying and going to live in seems like something worth making time for , but I guess to each their own .

I have heard of people doing this with investment properties though .
Especially if they have a local partner or person on the ground they can trust .

Are you selling your house FSBO ?

Old 06-17-2017, 10:32 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,622,618 times
If you're still in the zip code you posted, you are in a great area for out-of-state buyers. Long popular, near major city, surrounded by major routes but not too close, surrounded by Forests, etc. I can see realtors having a list of good homes to show, including by owners, and to call their eager buyers about. I would think your area would be one where good realtors would go out and check on anything new that came up. Because, realistically, your area seems to be a valid popular place.

Hey, I might even have a 'realtor's only' open house.

The realtors are calling you, you say....so you are selling by owner then? You've thought up your commission plan then?

Old 06-17-2017, 10:59 AM

Yes, since we got rid of the bad agent we do have it for sale by owner. I am offering more commission than the broker did. Which is another reason I don't think we got "out there".

Old 06-17-2017, 01:31 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
Why didn't you just ask the agent that called you?

Old 06-18-2017, 10:33 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
I would think it is synonymous with an out-of-town buyer. I've done that a few times for buyers in other states. Sometimes I'll use FaceTime or Skype. I've had buyers buy sight-unseen (having not physically been there) believe it or not.

You might be right, though.
We sold our last home in Mesa, AZ to out of town buyers. Their realtor knew what they were looking for, and when she got our agent's email/fax blast, she called her clients. The agent made an appointment, took some photos that confirmed that our listing photos were accurate, and we had a full priced offer in about 4 hours. The buyer's sent their college aged son and his fiancée to the inspection. They never saw the house until after closing. BTW, they surprised us by buying 70% of our furniture, including some of the artwork.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate