Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 11:40 AM

229 posts, read 239,355 times

Advertisements

I have known of that rental advertising something that is not theirs to advertise as long ago as 1966.

Recently a friend had that happen. Showed a house to a prospective buyer only to find it advertised at a ridiculously low price on that persons website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 12:29 PM

5,290 posts, read 5,199,703 times
Find out where the agent lives, and go post the sign on her property.

Old 06-23-2017, 12:40 PM

32,503 posts, read 47,500,455 times
If it is a rental agency, then it is not what we traditionally think of as rental fraud. They need listings to get customers. They get someone to call on your house and then it is "Oh sorry, rented that one 15 minutes ago, but let me show you what else we have."

Bait and switch. It is fraud, but not the more common rental kind where they are taking a deposit on a house they don't have. It's too easy to find them for them to be renting houses and taking money on houses they don't have. Although they might be taking application fees.

Car dealers used to do that until the law cracked down on them: advertise a great special that didn't actually exist in order to get customers to come in.

It is highly unethical and I would be reporting them for it.

Old 06-23-2017, 12:40 PM

122 posts, read 369,523 times
This was a large, very well known rental agency recently bought by an even larger nationwide apartment rental agency. It was no mistake.

Old 06-23-2017, 12:42 PM

32,503 posts, read 47,500,455 times
Veering off topic a little bit: I once lived in an area where it was impossible to rent a place that allowed dogs. So, a couple of unethical rental agencies would advertise these nice low rent places that allowed dogs, but didn't actually exist. They would charge customers a fee to find them a place to live, but didn't have any more dog rentals than anyone else had.

Old 06-23-2017, 12:53 PM

10,907 posts, read 21,863,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
I'd file with the department of real estate.
Yes, take a screen shot online and pic of the sign and report to the RE commission. That's treated as a pretty serious transgression in my state.

Old 06-23-2017, 01:49 PM

19,396 posts, read 12,039,904 times
Bait and switch doesn't tend to involve other people's personal property. If they are so huge they should be held accountable, maybe there are other authorities to report to besides the real estate commission.

Old 06-23-2017, 02:23 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,516,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Two wrongs........ Stealing and destroying someone's sign might get you into trouble, especially in this day and age of video and security cameras everywhere.
Put a sign on my property without my permission and see how far you get when I yank it down and throw it away. That is not stealing and this is not an example of two wrongs.

Old 06-23-2017, 02:51 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,520,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by czarinalex View Post
I own a property in southern California which I rent as a furnished rental during the summer months. The house is currently empty. I had my house listed with a reputable realtor and it was listed on the MLS. We have a signed lease starting in July and the house currently listed as not active.

Today our HOA contacts me to remind me that any real estate signs have to be the 'approved' version and can we please tell our realtor to contact them for the correct signage. Our realtor did not put a sign in front. Low and behold, he swings by our house and there is a sign in front from a major rental agency in the area with a text code for our house. Our realtor called the agent and the agent in turn called me to apologize for the 'mistake by a new agent'. It was no mistake... when I go their website and put in the text code, my house is listed... no pictures, but the full description written by my agent with totally incorrect lease info.. ie says it's unfurnished, lease for 1 year, etc.

My agent recommends I file a police report for trespassing. I'm so mad.. what gives them the right to advertise on my property without my consent?
That's CRAZY! I'd file a complaint with your state's board of realtors. Call and email them telling them they have 24 hours - include date and time - to remove the sign or it will be disposed of. And weekends count in my 24 hours! I'd write a letter of complaint to the broker in addition to your realtor's suggestion of a police report.

I don't give a care if you're a new realtor or been doing this for 80 years, this was NOT cool! This agent tried to steal a listing! They don't even have access or correct info. Keep a record of this and NEVER use that agent or their firm!

Old 06-23-2017, 03:05 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,841,330 times
I wonder if you could file a complaint with the FTC? https://www.ftc.gov/about-ftc

And, for sure you can with the Better Business Bureau. if they are a member of a local Chamber of Commerce, go there too.

People keep saying to contact the Real Estate governing body. But they only regulate licensed real estate agents. The agency may not have licensed agents. Unless it's different in your state?

I'll bet there are posts about this company on the web on one of those sites for things like this. I find them and post about your experience.

You could always pay an attorney a small fee to send them a cease and desist letter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate