Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How important are updates when buying a house?
Functional is all I care about 12 9.68%
Non-updated is fine, as long as I'm planning my own renovations 31 25.00%
Dated is ok as long as it's liveable 19 15.32%
Updated is a bonus but I'm not paying more for it 13 10.48%
Kitchen and baths have to be from this decade 10 8.06%
Doesn't have to be brand new but somewhat updated, please 31 25.00%
New or like-new only! 8 6.45%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 05:30 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,893,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
I don't want an old home because too many surprises. Don't want to pay for major updating either. No pink bathrooms please. Old homes usually have chopped up floor plans and outdated plumbing and electrical.
But, oh God, some of those old staircases are treasures!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 05:45 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
Love, love love, historic homes! So please do not update it unless its to update the original woodwork, uncover some of the Nooks and hidden walls.... or the Light fixtures and Old Door with skeleton keys!

Ahh the adventures of restoring!

Its only important to update for the lifestyle you wish to attain. I loved keeping it simple, eloquent and cozy.

Old 06-27-2017, 05:07 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
I only buy new cars and new homes.

Old 06-27-2017, 05:16 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,485,821 times
When we bought our house in 2015, it had:
~new{er} roof {30 years left on 40 yr Architectural roof}
~replaced with double pane windows
~new electrical {95%}
~new paved blacktop driveway
~updated {10 years old} bath
~updated kitchen
~new wall to wall carpeting {sorry folks except kit and bath, we like wall to wall, and the berber carpet should last the rest of our lifetimes}

That is what sold us on the house!

So, Unless I'm buying a fixer upper that I'm going to tear into and redo to my specifications, I'll take strongly updated and or remodeled.

We are now looking for a house in our targeted retirement area, and are looking two ways: one for already updated, OR for a fixer that we plan to redo anyway. Either way is fine.

But, sorry folks a house with mid century modern dated 1950's or 60's kitchen and bath is NOT in our plans. THAT, to us, is a fixer...even if all appliances work and the bath is "usable" just the way they are.

Best of luck

Old 06-27-2017, 08:12 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
I don't want an old home because too many surprises. Don't want to pay for major updating either. No pink bathrooms please. Old homes usually have chopped up floor plans and outdated plumbing and electrical.
New is not without issue either... Chinese Drywall made a friends dream home a nightmare... even the electric wires were corroding.

Another bought in an area that had been a WWI military base and ordinance was found.

I could go on but there is a lot to be said about a well built older home that has stood the test of time in my book.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:28 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,114,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
New is not without issue either... Chinese Drywall made a friends dream home a nightmare... even the electric wires were corroding.

Another bought in an area that had been a WWI military base and ordinance was found.

I could go on but there is a lot to be said about a well built older home that has stood the test of time in my book.
Hear hear!

Old 06-27-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
All good points. I think the updating many people are referring to these days isn't so much the pink bathroom from the 1950s. It's those houses that are 20 years old now that seem to make people say "it needs updating." At least, if you are to believe the decorating shows.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:37 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,622,430 times
Quote:
They are called "rooms". And pretty much were the standard for everything except tents, cabins, and studio apartments for the last 1,000 years.

Unless you are referring to single family homes that have been split up into rental units. Now that's chopped up.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:38 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,496,198 times
People saying they only buy new are making me chuckle. Sure, that is great, sign me up, but it just isn't possible in some areas of the country. There is literally no new housing in many parts of the country (I'm in NJ)

I love looking through the real estate listings and finding the original kitchens and bathrooms from the 60s and stuff. It's pretty neat to think someone maintained them that long.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
People saying they only buy new are making me chuckle. Sure, that is great, sign me up, but it just isn't possible in some areas of the country. There is literally no new housing in many parts of the country (I'm in NJ)
Ha ha, and very true. Bought my first place in a town like that. Pretty much everything was at least 30-50 years old, if not older. Even the ones that had been updated had updates that were starting to get old. The "new" places for sale were 15-20 years old. Occasionally someone bought a tear down and built something new, but they were building them for themselves, not for resale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post

I love looking through the real estate listings and finding the original kitchens and bathrooms from the 60s and stuff. It's pretty neat to think someone maintained them that long.
Absolutely agree. You know, sometimes updates look good in a house, but not always. I've see a few homes from the 1960s where the original details looked better (or at least they looked like they belonged with the house). And those who held onto the 60s look can now get a kick that they're starting to come back into style!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate