Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 12:37 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times

Advertisements

What's up with you and your crusade against Zillow, OP?

As for that blog, I've forgotten all about it. I found it lame and not very funny. Let's see how much content she gets now that she can't rip photos from the MLS to critique.

My thoughts are this - Don't like a "McMansion" in the burbs? Don't buy one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 01:48 PM

204 posts, read 181,380 times
If you use an image that you don't own you should usually ask permission

Old 06-29-2017, 02:38 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notrhj View Post
If you use an image that you don't own you should usually ask permission
You should RECEIVE permission prior to use....

Old 06-29-2017, 05:35 PM

173 posts, read 2,145,710 times
Default Zillow backs down and withdraws threat of Legal Action against McMansion Hell

So Zillow accepts the inevitable as it loses the PR war over the aggressive way it threatened McMansion Hell with legal action with its bungled Cease & Desist Letter on Monday. The EFF sent a strongly worded response to Zillow today and Zillow later issued a statement dropping the threat of legal action against Kate Wagner the 23 year old graduate student who publishes the McMansion Hell Blog. I am sure she has learned many 'life lessons' this week too!! Wagner has agreed to stop using Zillow photos going forward. Old posts using Zillow photos would remain online.

Here is link to EFF Letter to Zilow
https://www.eff.org/files/2017/06/29...2017.06.29.pdf

Here is Zillow response issued in response to EFF Letter

We have decided not to pursue any legal action against Kate Wagner and McMansion Hell. We’ve had a lot of conversations about this, including with attorneys from the EFF, whose advocacy and work we respect. EFF has stated that McMansion Hell won’t use photos from Zillow moving forward.
It was never our intent for McMansion Hell to shut down, or for this to appear as an attack on Kate’s freedom of expression. We acted out of an abundance of caution to protect our partners – the agents and brokers who entrust us to display photos of their clients’ homes.

It seems Zillow didn't have the stomach to risk losing any legal action with the strong rebuttal by EFF on behalf of Kate Wagner as well as the massive public outcry against it social media which was seriously damaging Zillows reputation. To some of us it case as no surprise and was business as usual for Zillow the way it bullied a 23 year old student without making no attempt to reach out to discuss any concerns Zillow had about her blog.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/29/1...sion-hell-blog

Old 06-29-2017, 05:52 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,913,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTony View Post
In Houston particularly the market for Mc mansions and larger houses is not that great due to the oil bust. Owners have hard time selling 500k+ properties. On top of that if you have someone making fun of their property and their interior design and in general other things related to TX, people are not going to take it easy. Esp the sellers of these Mcmansions are influential people with deep pockets.
Wow, maybe I should move to Houston. Where I live, McMansions start at $2 million, and $500K will get you a moderately nice condo.

Old 06-29-2017, 05:55 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,913,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Ferris View Post
It's up to the EFF-ing lawyers now, but my opinion is that Zillow does not put any restrictions upon viewing or copying the photos on their site, so they cannot enforce any terms of use. If they put up a terms of use page and required clicking on "I Accept" before showing any listings they would have a case, or they could prevent copying the photos off the page -- I've encountered the latter, although I don't know how it works.
The blog in question is sometimes amusing but the "serious architecture" part is ill-informed. Apparently there's still little taught about modern domestic architecture; they're still oohing and aahing over large public buildings, mostly built three centuries or more ago.
They're not even Zillow's pictures. They're taken from MLS listings.

From what I've studied (I am not an architect), her comments are spot on and if her advice were followed, we'd have much prettier McMansions and neighborhoods.

>they're still oohing and aahing over large public buildings, mostly built three centuries or more ago

As well they should be. Study the past; you might learn something.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:37 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,296,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Wow, maybe I should move to Houston. Where I live, McMansions start at $2 million, and $500K will get you a moderately nice condo.
yep.. everything is cheaper and affordable in TX.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:41 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,233,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surbiton View Post
So Zillow accepts the inevitable as it loses the PR war over the aggressive way it threatened McMansion Hell with legal action with its bungled Cease & Desist Letter on Monday. The EFF sent a strongly worded response to Zillow today and Zillow later issued a statement dropping the threat of legal action against Kate Wagner the 23 year old graduate student who publishes the McMansion Hell Blog. I am sure she has learned many 'life lessons' this week too!! Wagner has agreed to stop using Zillow photos going forward. Old posts using Zillow photos would remain online.

Here is link to EFF Letter to Zilow
https://www.eff.org/files/2017/06/29...2017.06.29.pdf

Here is Zillow response issued in response to EFF Letter

We have decided not to pursue any legal action against Kate Wagner and McMansion Hell. We’ve had a lot of conversations about this, including with attorneys from the EFF, whose advocacy and work we respect. EFF has stated that McMansion Hell won’t use photos from Zillow moving forward.
It was never our intent for McMansion Hell to shut down, or for this to appear as an attack on Kate’s freedom of expression. We acted out of an abundance of caution to protect our partners – the agents and brokers who entrust us to display photos of their clients’ homes.

It seems Zillow didn't have the stomach to risk losing any legal action with the strong rebuttal by EFF on behalf of Kate Wagner as well as the massive public outcry against it social media which was seriously damaging Zillows reputation. To some of us it case as no surprise and was business as usual for Zillow the way it bullied a 23 year old student without making no attempt to reach out to discuss any concerns Zillow had about her blog.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/29/1...sion-hell-blog
I think you have it backwards. They didnt pursue legal action because there was no reason to. The owner of the website will not use photos from Zillow from here on in. That was all that Zillow wanted.

What lawsuit would they pursue now? There isnt one. They won. As they should.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:51 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
I think you have it backwards. They didnt pursue legal action because there was no reason to. The owner of the website will not use photos from Zillow from here on in. That was all that Zillow wanted.

What lawsuit would they pursue now? There isnt one. They won. As they should.

Exactly.

So many people have no clue about data licensing and rights...
Hopefully this episode will provide some insight and alert folks who think they are entitled to use anything they "find on the internet" for their own commercial purposes.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:04 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,494,440 times
Yeah, I'm going to agree there. Zillow won.

So has this blogger said what she is going to do now? Is she going to keep the blog going with her own pictures?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate