Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 06:08 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,342,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Who the hell would want to live in WACO?

Not me.

And if you own your home? You can do whatever you want with it.

Chip and Joanna can go pound sand.
Do Chip and Joanna provide free labor for the people on the show? If so, they have a right to be ticked off IMO at people taking advantage of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 08:31 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
Do u not watch Fixer Upper???

Old 07-03-2017, 09:26 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,342,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Do u not watch Fixer Upper???
Is that directed at me? I know the buyers contribute to the renovations, but IIRC they don't really say if any of that is going to the labor.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:29 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,596,420 times
I used to live in Waco. There is no way I'd pay that much to live there!

Old 07-03-2017, 09:54 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,169,560 times
Oh you can bet they don't do that work for free. I watched one probably yesterday, and you know how Chip says how much their budget was and how much they spent and how much the reno was... and then how much it's NOW worth and what they already made in equity? On this particular one it was a pricey one something like $450,000, and all Chip could say was that someday when the area picked up they'd be glad they did this and they'd have something really worth something.

I got the message that they'd way overspent on that one! I take his figures with a grain of sand.

That said, I like these houses a lot more than some of the tv flippers. Isn't she a RE agent too? I'm sure she gets those RE fees too, just like the Flip or Flop couple does.

I did read that they don't flip houses any more except for the ones that are on the show.

In the drs. office reading magazines, I picked up one of those trendy high-end style magazines (can't remember which one) and there was JoAnne on the back cover advertising her company, selling rugs, carpets, other fabric goods. They've managed to be quite diverse. Good for them! Doing just that construction is hard work and health-wise (for Chip) not a good idea to rely on that their whole lives.

Old 07-04-2017, 03:38 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,751,778 times
It looks more like a decorated out-house. Not worth more than $50,000.

Old 07-04-2017, 05:55 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
The only house I sympathize with is Clint's home. I read it was next to his shop, which is obviously easily found because it is his business. They were hounded by fans so much that they had to move. Last I knew, they were renting it out on AirBNB. I can totally understand his family's decision to move. They deserve to have a life without harassment, and they have young children so that is an additional concern.
The rest of the renters seem to be taking advantage of the show.

I do realize that by being on the show, you are setting yourself up for a more public life- people will drive by, take pictures, and some will likely be bold enough to knock on the door or peak through windows. I sympathize with Clint's family more because he is on the show fairly regularly, which puts him in a different category that the couple you forget about after the episode.
But how do people get the exact address (except in Clint's case)?

I watch this show and wonder if their building codes are a lot less strict than where I live in Florida. I just watched an episode from season 1 where they moved the windows and made them higher instead of almost all the way to the floor in a home office. There were two or three windows. The cost was $2800. There's no way in the world I could do that in the house I am buying. Just replacing the windows would cost more than $2800 and they are about the same size.

Last edited by chiluvr1228; 07-04-2017 at 06:38 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-04-2017, 07:13 AM

I have houses in TX and FL
The building codes/practices are much different
In FL a contractor does have to be licensed w/the state and pass test for knowledge in various fields to be licensed--much carry insurance as well...

In TX a contractor does not--much more lax licensing requirements for some trades--
In Fl even someone like a painter has to have license and insurance to do business==
There are people who aren't but they are flying under code
We are having our FL house painted on exterior and the guy we chose has license and insurance like worker's comp for his painters...has to have to work legitimately...

In Sarasota County where we live the building regs were recently changed so that if someone is doing a remodel and needs to have permits pulled by two different trades like electrician and plumber the homeowner is required to hire a general contractor to pull the permits and have the two trades work under his license...
Much more costly--not necessarily any safer/better--but bring more money into the county...

In TX it varies by the building authority--
Counties have (normally) more lax building/remodel code requirements than cities
Some cities are known to be more demanding than others and for different reasons--
Like tree cutting/replacement when doing development of new land
Or having inspectors that pay more attention to what they are inspecting/have higher personal standards....

I have only seen one show I can remember in all the seasons of F/U (and I have seen them all and many more than once) where a permit caused a real problem with a remodel...and that was because of the lot survey not meeting the seller's description...
Once or twice you might see Chip mention they are waiting for an inspector...
In real life remodels inspectors are the bane of trades because time is money for a trade

My understanding is that labor is included in the remodel cost they mention added to the sales price of the house...
Chip has RE license and often acts as buyer's agent--so I assume he get the standard 3% fee for that...
Then the pricing for the demo/rebuild/parts are included...
What is not mentioned is that the staging furniture and other pieces are negotiated separately. That sometimes the buyers are involved choosing those items--although that isn't really shown since they act like they never go by to see what is taking place on the remodel before they have the big reveal moment...but having Clint make a dining room table is something that likely is staying, that the people asked for, and that they paid for separately...
Some of that stuff is just for staging and it leaves after the show is filmed...
THAT is a big marketing push for Magnolia shopping since you can see everything Jo puts into a house if you visit the Silos or go online...

Jo and Chip apparently do not own a television in their house---a decision they made before they were married after conversation with marriage counselor/minister...
So their shows feature a television in main living area only two times--
One was for the professional football player's family in this last season's show and one time was where the man specifically asked for spot for a large flatscreen...

The problem is that sometimes there are areas of the house that are not addressed in the show that you KNOW are also being taken care of--smaller bedrooms, utility room, new water heater or other aspect--
Those area if they are not filmed are priced out separately I think--
So the total cost of the entire redo is likely more --- just not specified...

HGTV of course pays Jo and Chip for their show and I am sure they have good attorney that designed a contract where they get their cut for any replays, etc...
How much that impacts the price Chip and Jo charge anyone for doing their house is never specified...but labor would be cheaper in town like Waco...
You see many Hispanics working on their houses but you also see Anglos--
You can't assume the Hispanics are illegals---plenty of TX born Hispanics in Waco area
If anyone was thinking that was a cheap labor possibility...

My understanding is that Chip and Jo through their various entities like the Silos and the remodeling and running the B/B and getting the new restaurant up and running will be one of the biggest employers in Waco and bring lot of outside money to town via the Silo shops...
We went there earlier this year from our home in DFW area...
Went during the week--not too crowded--one of the food trucks advertised was not open that day...parking was not too bad although there were quite a few people there shopping.
We could find place to sit in the outside patio area...
We're not that impressed w/the Silo offerings but we aren't big into "design"--
Had plenty of retail people asking if they could help you...
what you see on the show is on offer but prices are high...lot of people were buying less expensive items like glass jars or caps/shirts...
We got cupcakes at the bakery--there was a line but not too bad--cake part was good--way too much icing for my preference

The friend who went with us came back later in June or late May on Sat with her sister/several relatives from Chicago who had seen Fixer Upper.
Place was mobbed...the line for bakery went AROUND the building...there was no place to sit in the outside patio area after they got their food truck lunch because so many people were just sitting/waiting...
And it was HOT--which is normal for TX--but there is almost no shade around the Silos which takes up most of a city block w/buildings, Bakery, and parking area behind shops...lot of that is roped off for retail workers vs customers...they had much harder time finding place to park in area around Silos...
Friend said she definitely had no need to return for rest of her life...

Last edited by loves2read; 07-04-2017 at 07:29 AM..

Old 07-04-2017, 08:01 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
Thanks! I enjoyed reading your post. I like most of what Joanna does but it seems she gives everybody the same white kitchen cabinets & farm sink which I do happen to like; but I have found with many of these HGTV shows that the hosts decorate every house the same. I'm almost done with season 1 (I'm watching on HULU since I don't have cable) So far my favorite is the Country French house that the doctor and his wife bought for over $400K.

Old 07-04-2017, 08:12 AM

Yes
That house had great lot backing to Brazos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate