Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 06:36 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times

Advertisements

Yes
Dont know who he thinks he is fooling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2017, 08:39 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,285,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
But hey, Chip and Joanna flipped the house for them - just think of the added "star power". Otherwise, regarding the price, as my old boss used to say, "You can want in one hand and **** in the other - and see which fills up faster".
While the new owners are sitting there alone watching re-runs of Gilligan's Island, you just know they are going to kick back and smile with joy over owning a place that was "famous".

Old 07-05-2017, 05:42 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Tou can search the county's appraisal tax base on line
Some people--like police--can have their info protected but likely not someone like Clint
Magnolia Homes might have C/J's ranch in its name vs Gaines
But word if mouth in smaller town is stronger than hurricane for good/bad results

We lived in Mount Olive, NC from 1990-1999 so I do know what you mean about word of mouth in small towns.

Old 07-05-2017, 06:17 AM

The part that is so amazing to me in some ways is that a couple like Chip and Jo, who are in some ways SO representative of what "average" Texans today are like are at the same time unique enough to capture the attention of so many Americans...

We listened to the audio book of the Magnolia Story (their autobiography) on road trip last summer and Chip is really a goofus...
Any guy who is left home with his infant (younger than 2 months) and LEAVES baby alone to go to the store is really a few eggs short of a dozen...
He also tied the baby's bouncy chair to his Gator w/bungy cords and rode him down the street...yet he is also (from the book) very compassionate and non-judgemental kind of guy--as long as you aren't gay of course...

They have been poor and now they are becoming fairly wealthy...they have the paint line and she has the furniture line and now her perfume...
She is the power behind the throne in some ways it seems because Chip alone would not have made that show a success--it was Jo's design aesthetic and their family vibe with the religious overtones that caught on with America...Remember that she talked herself into an internship with Dan Rather at CBS in NYC when she was in college---she could have done lot better than working at her dad's tire store if she had really wanted to but think religion became important part of her life when she was a teen...later converts usually fall harder...

And you have to admit that they are doing good for their town...
Waco is really a dirty town and the only thing it had going for it was Baylor which is really an acquired taste...so the idea that you have hundreds of people driving there to shop at the Silos and buy cupcakes at that bakery and spend the other half the day doing something else in Waco brings lot of money...
Before C/J phenom, the Dr. Pepper Museum and Texas Ranger Hall of Fame were the only two things considered "attractions" for tourists...
and I guarantee they weren't bringing in the money like Magnolia Enterprises...

Old 07-05-2017, 07:12 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,516,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
But hey, Chip and Joanna flipped the house for them - just think of the added "star power". Otherwise, regarding the price, as my old boss used to say, "You can want in one hand and **** in the other - and see which fills up faster".
Ummmm Reality TV is not reality, especially on this network. You need people on camera who can act normal. Most regular folks would not work. Good chance that was a set up.
They are looking for entertainment, not truth.

Just like Shark Tank, many of those deals fall through at the end of the show when out comes the paperwork off camera.

Here's one full of BS. Pawn Stars. They know what is coming in the door, and have a team of researchers giving them the info. They went to COX to start advertising and their salesman saw an opportunity.
Stupid spinoff. That game show do you know more than Rick? Is that phony show still on. He's got a team of researchers, doing his work.

Old 07-05-2017, 07:23 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,335,073 times
On Fixer Upper, it is well known that the couple had already purchased the house. The other two houses that the Gains show the couple are just there to add drama (which one will they choose).

This is the same for House Hunters.

The flipping shows, such as Flip or Flop, they state at the end: If this sale goes through, we stand to make $xx,xxx.

Most of the shows where people are buying the house but are having someone 'fix it up' for them, show the couple/family in the house enjoying it after the renovations are done.

Old 07-05-2017, 09:05 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,112,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
We lived in Mount Olive, NC from 1990-1999 so I do know what you mean about word of mouth in small towns.
Yup. In my new town a huge number of people are on the same facebook pages. It's amazing how much I already know about people there. And when the seller of our house wanted to see if we'd still be interested, that was how she contacted us. She actually asked us first before even going to her realtor.

Old 07-05-2017, 09:27 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
The part that is so amazing to me in some ways is that a couple like Chip and Jo, who are in some ways SO representative of what "average" Texans today are like are at the same time unique enough to capture the attention of so many Americans...

We listened to the audio book of the Magnolia Story (their autobiography) on road trip last summer and Chip is really a goofus...
Any guy who is left home with his infant (younger than 2 months) and LEAVES baby alone to go to the store is really a few eggs short of a dozen...
He also tied the baby's bouncy chair to his Gator w/bungy cords and rode him down the street...yet he is also (from the book) very compassionate and non-judgemental kind of guy--as long as you aren't gay of course...

They have been poor and now they are becoming fairly wealthy...they have the paint line and she has the furniture line and now her perfume...
She is the power behind the throne in some ways it seems because Chip alone would not have made that show a success--it was Jo's design aesthetic and their family vibe with the religious overtones that caught on with America...Remember that she talked herself into an internship with Dan Rather at CBS in NYC when she was in college---she could have done lot better than working at her dad's tire store if she had really wanted to but think religion became important part of her life when she was a teen...later converts usually fall harder...

And you have to admit that they are doing good for their town...
Waco is really a dirty town and the only thing it had going for it was Baylor which is really an acquired taste...so the idea that you have hundreds of people driving there to shop at the Silos and buy cupcakes at that bakery and spend the other half the day doing something else in Waco brings lot of money...
Before C/J phenom, the Dr. Pepper Museum and Texas Ranger Hall of Fame were the only two things considered "attractions" for tourists...
and I guarantee they weren't bringing in the money like Magnolia Enterprises...
Waco has the zoo, which is very nice. But even with the silos, I wouldn't have a budget of $450k to live there or its suburbs (unless it's on the brazos), not when you have the Austin MSA and Dallas MSA fairly nearby. Maybe they will revitalize the city, which sorely needs it. Just would rather not have their trendy HGTV design aesthetic paint the entire town because it's been done in so many areas.

Old 07-05-2017, 09:59 AM

The infrastructure that drives homes over 400K is not really in Waco except for the medical
And I think it is county seat so it has courthouse and court offices and more attorneys
There are probably some Baylor people who could afford that price range especially if both spouses are working...

I was really surprised especially in the first season to see people with kids buying homes inside the city with such a distain for the neighborhood
How do you recoup a 100K remodel when none of your neighbors are doing the same???

Old 07-05-2017, 12:32 PM

628 posts, read 838,102 times
Its just someone who thinks they can charge more just because it was on a TV show unless it was special in other ways i would not pay 950K for this house in the area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate