Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 09:44 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
And why, pray tell, would a company insure an item that is well past its useful life? I swear there was just a thread on this a couple of weeks ago where someone else wanted to get a home warranty to replace a 20+ year old HVAC system when it crapped out. It is one thing to replace an HVAC that dies unexpectedly after 6 years, but after 20 years, it's time to replace. I'm sorry you don't want to replace it, but 25 years is not just "not new" but absolutely due for replacement. It sounds like goldenlove had a home warranty for some time, not just a warranty when something is expected to be fixed immediately and someone wants to pay 1/10 the cost to fix it.
Well said! No one will replace anything that old for just the cost of the contract. I agree with others here and on other threads that those contracts are not for the benefit of the customer. Being a landlord comes with its own set of challenges but a house with that many problems will have a negative cash flow for some time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 03:28 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Well said! No one will replace anything that old for just the cost of the contract. I agree with others here and on other threads that those contracts are not for the benefit of the customer. Being a landlord comes with its own set of challenges but a house with that many problems will have a negative cash flow for some time.
Yes they will. There are exclusions but as long as the proper coverage is in place and the unit has been properly maintained over the years it will be repaired. HW companies do lose money on some of the contracts. It's a numbers thing, there are enough warranties they don't lose money on to make up for the ones they do lose on.

Old 07-14-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I'm sure they are all equally bad. People don't show up to praise, they show up to complain when they are ticked. This is true for all warranty companies. Some of their contractors suck, some don't. Some repairs are prompt, some are not. Some claims are covered, some are not. We've had the best combination of coverage and customer service from 2-10 with AHS also being decent. Old Republic coverage was alright but their customer service was the worst, so bad I had no choice but to drop them. I know how to "work the system" if you will and if I'm having problems I know my customers would have it even worse. I can't refer someone to a service if I know the service is bad. No need to elaborate much more.

Old 07-14-2017, 04:42 PM

359 posts, read 361,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Yes they will. There are exclusions but as long as the proper coverage is in place and the unit has been properly maintained over the years it will be repaired. HW companies do lose money on some of the contracts. It's a numbers thing, there are enough warranties they don't lose money on to make up for the ones they do lose on.
the key BEING PROPERLY MAINTAINED they will ask for documentation have it and in most cases you will have no problems

Old 07-14-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas taco View Post
the key BEING PROPERLY MAINTAINED they will ask for documentation have it and in most cases you will have no problems
I've never been asked for documentation. We keep them on our 30 or so rental properties.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:33 PM

68 posts, read 90,086 times
Hi,
In my opinion, warranty companies are scams. Put your money in a repair account is a great idea for you.
Thanks!!

Old 07-15-2017, 03:58 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,819,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
And why, pray tell, would a company insure an item that is well past its useful life? I swear there was just a thread on this a couple of weeks ago where someone else wanted to get a home warranty to replace a 20+ year old HVAC system when it crapped out. It is one thing to replace an HVAC that dies unexpectedly after 6 years, but after 20 years, it's time to replace. I'm sorry you don't want to replace it, but 25 years is not just "not new" but absolutely due for replacement. It sounds like goldenlove had a home warranty for some time, not just a warranty when something is expected to be fixed immediately and someone wants to pay 1/10 the cost to fix it.
Just to clarify, we had the home warranty on this house for a year when the compressor needed to be replaced. The A/C was 20 years old when we purchased the home and they still covered it. They actually don't ask how old anything is when we enroll. We DID have on on our past house for 8 years. First American requires that you have the warranty in place for 30 days before making your first claim, probably because people were starting to buy the warranty and then claiming something the next day. There was no questionnaire to fill out, no questions about the age of anything in the house that was covered. I am sure they make their money off from those who buy it and never use it, but they've never made money off from us and never turned down a repair. I highly recommend them!

Old 08-10-2022, 03:24 PM

7 posts, read 14,142 times
Thumbs down NOT Home Warranty of America

Do not waste your money on these folks. They give you the run around on repairs and then won't pay claims.

Old 08-11-2022, 07:13 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Put money into a "repairs" account.
This is by far the best option. If you do a risk/cost analysis, home warranties come out looking terrible. People have already done these analysis, just google it and skip the sponsored responses.

In practice, the warranties are even worse than they appear on paper. On many warranty calls, you end up paying more than you woudl if you just hired someone to fix the problem.

Old 08-11-2022, 12:08 PM

768 posts, read 859,614 times
No warranty company will cover a pre existing condition. If you think they will, it won't happen. They want you to have an inspection of all your appliances, roof, etc before they will issue a policy. No obfuscation allowed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate