Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 07:57 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,753,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina chick View Post
Wow I am so glad this was asked about. I thought I was the only one wary of "my stuff". Even outside the valuables aspect. I worry about the regular items too. As far as the carpets go, I hadn't even thought of it!!! Where can you buy these booties?
Here's one place that I googled for. I'm sure there are others.
http://www.atlanticmedsupply.com/sho...at=Shoe+Covers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 08:49 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,298,124 times
What Captain Billy said - it's for everybody's protection. I make sure, also,that I'm the last person out of the house, and as I follow the buyers through the house, I'm locking doors and turning off lights as we go. (They can always be opened/turned on if we want to go back by.) Then a quick sweep at the end to check lights and doors, and lock up.

And, as I said,with vacant homes I check when I'm informed there's been a showing and take care of anything that hasn't been closed/locked/turned off.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:05 PM

506 posts, read 2,144,802 times
Take everything of value (and/or possessions that cannot be replaced) and store them elsewhere while your house is for sale. You never know who will be touring your home or whether they're even serious lookers. My parents' home was burglarized while it was on the market and the burglars (caught a year or so later) posed as potential homebuyers and actually made appointments with listing agents so they could see the insides of homes they wanted to steal things from. Talk about guided tours. They'd see what was inside the homes and come back later and break in to take what they wanted - and they already knew where everything was! That's what homeowner's insurance is for, I suppose.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:43 PM

9,313 posts, read 16,622,517 times
Default Valuables

We were advised to lock up or remove all valuables. Also prescription medicines should be removed. Since we have a 2nd home, we removed everything of value to the other house. It is amazing what people will take. Also after an open house or showing you should check all locks, especially on lower windows as a precaution.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:27 PM

32 posts, read 46,416 times
Arrow Dallas real estate agent opinion

I am a Dallas real estate agent, as a buyer agents you try to prevent anything from happening... I also own multi properties. SOOOOOO....

I have seen mud tracked thru my own personal homes, had to pay the expense to having them cleaned. I have seen my home left wide open including the garage, front door unlocked and open.

Most buyers agent will deny it happend while they were on property expect the seller to make proof for their claims.

Then you don't want to hack off the agent, their broker, they can stop wanting to show your home.

OSOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSOOOOOO the bottom line pick and choose your battles.... this battle would be losing a battle.

Some professionals just don't think or give a darn! not how we manage our business

Old 03-29-2008, 07:15 AM

27,206 posts, read 46,641,661 times
I just find out that my previous realtor has a long list of criminal ativities and has been convicted more than once for things that can be related to what your thread is about.
For the future I will do a background check for every realtor that has been in my home (unless the home is empty and not much can be taken). It is the responsibility of the broker when he hires the realtor to do a background check. Who wants a criminal listing or showing your home? Not me. This realtor didn't fill out the papers for the license application out in a honest way. This realtors license has immediately changed into a inactive status, probable to find out what to do next. I guess most businesses claim they do background checks, but the reality is they don't. So we as clients have to take care off our self.
Than we have the other clients the onces we don't know anything about and are brought in by the agents. As long as the agents are with their clients in the home, it should be impossible for a client to take anything. Realtors should be responsible for not letting clients alone in other peoples property and to lock everything before leaving.

Old 03-29-2008, 07:32 AM

Here, they recently instituted a requirement that we get our fingerprints taken in order to get/renew a license so that they can do a check on us. (Never mind that one never hears anything about a real estate agent attacking a client, but frequently hears of real estate agents robbed/assaulted/murdered by supposed buyers/sellers. Just wait, your time is coming, there WILL be an excuse made to fingerprint, oh, let's say, investors.)

Your animus towards real estate professionals is well known and demonstrated at every turn, but just how are you planning on doing a background check on every agent who sets foot in one of your properties?

Old 03-29-2008, 08:05 AM

27,206 posts, read 46,641,661 times
I don't know but since the fingerprints didn't stop this agent from obtaining a license after being convicted for a more than one felony in the third degree, it seems that the Licesing board doesn't do their job neither did many of the brokers this realtor has been working for, so it seems we have to do it our self. And yes I don't mind to be fingerprinted, since I have a clean record other wise I couldn't come in the USA in a legal way, since every time you are entering you are being fingerprinted and eye scanned. So maybe a foreigner with a legal visa or other paper is know for not being a criminal. 2 people from the same country as I were not allowed entering the USA and send back on a plane on arrival. 1 a soccer star who had been involved in a car accident and the other person was killed, the other was recently denied to enter the USA because of a previous drug charge years back. This was in the newspapers.
This is not against any profession but to feel safe and not having to deal with identity theft, but maybe you don't care if it happens to you? I think many clients have another view on this and realtors as well.
I put up a thread about a realtor being killed. It should be safe for everybody involved. This has nothing to do with me liking realtors or not, it just happen to be something that recently occured in my life and I want to prevent others from dealing with the same. Thinking the Board of realtor is checking them and brokers are checking the once they hire, but I have proof it is different.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:25 AM

Does the state that this agent is in require fingerprinting? Not all do - Texas only just started requiring it for real estate agents (and teachers).

By the way, my fingerprints were taken (the old-fashioned inky way) a good 35+ years ago when I applied for a job involving security, so it's not a personal matter of not liking it. It's a civil rights matter. Little by little, our civil rights are being eaten away and we're doing nothing to stop it. As Mr. Franklin said long, long ago: "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve and will receive neither liberty nor security."

Old 03-29-2008, 08:51 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,536,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty3 View Post
Ok, but what about "worst-case scenario"....a buyers kid falls into your big-screen TV and it comes crashing down!
Double check with your homeowners insurance agent to make sure that you have proper coverage, because you are most likely liabile for BOTH your broken TV and any damage to the kid from your TV (like his stitches at the hospital).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate