Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 09:19 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,733,435 times

Advertisements

We had had some feedback when we sold that to me just made no sense. Someone said that they loved the home, but the office was too small and so therefore would not be making an offer. OK....well the room size is on the listing, DUH so why even look at the house then? Or we had another person say they would only buy a house with granite counters. Again... listing clearly said we had corian counters. I almost felt like some people were just wasting my time. When we went to look for our new home I looked at every home online ahead of time to make sure the finishing's were to my taste so I wouldn't waste my time or someone else's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 09:44 PM

14,472 posts, read 12,101,318 times
Lots of times buyers have 10 things they think they need in a house and they learn to compromise on three of them. It's not wrong to take a look at a place that doesn't meet every desire to see if maybe they can accept life without this thing, or perhaps some other factor will make up for it!

I guess I'd say if the reasons aren't helping you, ask your agent NOT to send you feedback. The only positive use for feedback is to maybe change things you can change. If they reject the house for something you can't change, then at least you know there's nothing more you can do for that buyer. It's not personal.

Old 07-14-2017, 01:31 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
you as an investor shows up for a showing....the owners are still their with the broker but will leave shortly

you get out of your truck with your dog on a leash...

the owners immediately say that dog wont be coming in the house, and also say they dont like pit bulls,,,,,

as an impartial investor,,do you take offense.... or just say ok,,, the dog wont come in,,,im here to see your house..

ive seen this happen many times and the dog owners get so offended and leave.. quickly

we put sentimental value on many things in our lives,,

a 60 yr old friend just bought for an outragious cost the same car he had in high school
the same make

houses are but wood and concrete,,,,but its people that make it homes.
its where kids grow dreams are made ..

i would pay 10k to go back into my grandmothers old house..the centerpiece/place of my family for over 150 yrs.... many of my relatives were born in that house and has my earliest memories...

as an investor,,,you chase and worship the dollar bill,,,and thats fine. but dont be so quick to judge others,

Old 07-14-2017, 06:23 AM

628 posts, read 286,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmooky View Post
I've noticed this on multiple posts of yours - your ability to empathize isn't the greatest. But when it's your feelings or resources all the sudden it's a massive affront. When it's someone else? They just need to get over it. In the kindest way possible - work on that. You'll be happier and kinder for it.
All this^^

To you a home might just be brick and mortar, but to others it is part of them. It may be where they raised their children, where they moved in as newlyweds - you get my drift, or you would if you were able to walk in someone else's shoes. Plus, just because someone is selling their home it doesn't mean they don't have mixed feelings and some trepidation about moving on to the next phase of their lives. It's just not that black and white.

Old 07-14-2017, 06:47 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,455,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather72754 View Post
All this^^

To you a home might just be brick and mortar, but to others it is part of them. It may be where they raised their children, where they moved in as newlyweds - you get my drift, or you would if you were able to walk in someone else's shoes. Plus, just because someone is selling their home it doesn't mean they don't have mixed feelings and some trepidation about moving on to the next phase of their lives. It's just not that black and white.
I get it. But the house is not the reason those things happened. You take the memories of those things with you. A house is only a home when you live there. As soon as you decide not to live there anymore, it becomes something different.

There is a lot of anger toward me even suggesting that people look at this in a more detached way. As I said in my first post, I knew this would not be a popular opinion. But pause for a minute. What will be more helpful to you-- getting upset that people who may want to buy your place are different than you or to taking a deep breath, tolerating the intrusion, processing the feedback and using what's useful, and getting a good price for your house so that (wait for it..) you can get a NEW house to make your HOME. Doesn't anyone focus on the goal of owning a new house and pour their excitement, emotion and energy into the plans for that? All of this seems very gloom and doom and forgetting that there is a new place on the horizon.

Old 07-14-2017, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
We had had some feedback when we sold that to me just made no sense. Someone said that they loved the home, but the office was too small and so therefore would not be making an offer. OK....well the room size is on the listing, DUH so why even look at the house then? Or we had another person say they would only buy a house with granite counters. Again... listing clearly said we had corian counters. I almost felt like some people were just wasting my time. When we went to look for our new home I looked at every home online ahead of time to make sure the finishing's were to my taste so I wouldn't waste my time or someone else's.
Yeah, sometimes I think the feedback is just an excuse for "I didn't like this overall, and I don't want to say that." But often people will come in with a long list of "must-haves" and figure out that a place which doesn't have all of them is appealing. If its not, they just stick to their long list.

I sold an apartment in a major artery in DC. One room faced the street, the other rooms faced a park. I had a lady come and look and complain that the room that faced the street had some traffic noise when she opened the window and the other rooms were quieter. My agent shared this with me and I got a chuckle out of it because it was just re-stating a fact-- yes, that is how it was. She was looking at an apartment in a major city which by the address you could tell was on a major road, and yet it surprised her that whatever faced that road had a bit of traffic noise if the windows were open. So yes, not all feedback is useful as I could not rotate the building or change the level of traffic. But it does give you insight into how people think and what may be important to them.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:02 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,114,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
If only it was this easy to take the emotion out of buying or selling a home. It's not. People are emotional about it. Lots of our memories are tied to a place.

As realtors, we try to get people to distance themselves a little from the house, sometimes packing up some of their more emotional personal belongings helps them get ready to let it go.
Nicely said.

People get emotional about all sorts of things. I knew a baker who got hurt if a buyer didn't like the way she decorated a cake. And when I think about it, I've also known dress designers, writers, and even a plumber who got hurt when someone didn't like something they were selling that they had personally created--makes sense it could happen occasionally to home sellers, too.

To be honest, most home sellers I know just shrug it off and figure the next buyer will have different taste. But that's easier to do when you live in a hot market, plus the world is full of all sorts of people.

Personally, I'd avoid asking for feedback in the first place. Too many conflicting opinions can drive you nuts, plus people usually don't give the complete reason they didn't choose a place, anyway.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
you as an investor shows up for a showing....the owners are still their with the broker but will leave shortly

you get out of your truck with your dog on a leash...

the owners immediately say that dog wont be coming in the house, and also say they dont like pit bulls,,,,,

as an impartial investor,,do you take offense.... or just say ok,,, the dog wont come in,,,im here to see your house..

ive seen this happen many times and the dog owners get so offended and leave.. quickly

we put sentimental value on many things in our lives,,

a 60 yr old friend just bought for an outragious cost the same car he had in high school
the same make

houses are but wood and concrete,,,,but its people that make it homes.
its where kids grow dreams are made ..

i would pay 10k to go back into my grandmothers old house..the centerpiece/place of my family for over 150 yrs.... many of my relatives were born in that house and has my earliest memories...

as an investor,,,you chase and worship the dollar bill,,,and thats fine. but dont be so quick to judge others,
In the first scenario, I would not take offense, but that is me.

Sentimental value is not something that is traded like currency. The beauty of it is that it exists in memory. I had a daughter that passed away a few days before her 8th birthday due to a rare form of leukemia. Anyone who has lost a child can attest that the pain is almost unbearable, almost beyond endurance. But I learned that my memories of my time with her would never leave me. And they were portable. And priceless. And they were not attached to a spot in the world or a bunch of brick and mortar.

When she passed, we sold our house because we wanted to start fresh. I had to endure strangers coming and touring her room saying things about it that could have angered me. But I remembered one thing-- the space was not her. Their comments had nothing to do with knowing her. They were just looking at a house to buy. They did not understand my pain or sadness, nor should they. It had nothing to do with the transaction and my pain and sadness was not going to help it go through. My realtor was wise and kept me focused so that we could move on.

Have you walked in my shoes? I speak from experience. Business transactions are business transactions. Sticks and stones, as they say.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:09 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,114,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Oh please.

This whole thread seems like a reason to criticize
Yup. Everyday it's a new drama.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Yup. Everyday it's a new drama.
Pot, meet kettle. I am sorry to have moved the spotlight from your threads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate