Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 08:57 PM

105 posts, read 200,044 times

Advertisements

You get what you pay for! My thing is if a Real Estate Company is so fast on discounting "their commission" what do you think they will do when they try to negotiate a Salesprice for you!.... just some food for thought
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 10:14 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
I'm in Raleigh, NC and I had buyers move here from Florida. My buyer was a "part time agent" with Assist 2 Sell in Florida. When I asked him who sold his Florida house, he laughed and said he got his friend to list it since his friend was a "full time Realtor with a reputable company"! Not my words.

Vicki

Old 03-16-2008, 05:03 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,290,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
If houses were widgets and all were bought and sold for the same price, but one company charged you 5 apples and one company charged you 7 apples, than you could say you made out better by paying 5 apples. But houses are not widgets and a full service firm, with experienced agents and powerful marketing to attract more prospects (the more prospects, the more offers, the more offers, the higher the price) will probably get you a higher sales price than a limited services firm with agents that might not have the same skill set and training opportunities. The limited services companies have to operate on volume to survive (like a fast food franchise). A full service company might have less volume, but can afford to spend more time on each client. For example, would you rather sell your home for 225,000 and pay a higher commission and have an experienced professional at your side every step of the way, or 210,000 and save an apple or 2 and hope for the best?
Thank you for the economics lesson, but it wasn't necessary.... I understand how it works.

Our agent did a great job by us, the experience was positive and we sold our house at a time where ten other houses on the block were up for sale and were able to get the deal we wanted.

Sorry it bothers you to hear not EVERYONE hates Assist-2-Sell.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:51 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,222,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
Thank you for the economics lesson, but it wasn't necessary.... I understand how it works.

Our agent did a great job by us, the experience was positive and we sold our house at a time where ten other houses on the block were up for sale and were able to get the deal we wanted.

Sorry it bothers you to hear not EVERYONE hates Assist-2-Sell.
It doesn't bother me and Assist2Sell has it's place in the marketplace. I was pointing out to others to always look at both full service and limited service agencies when evaluating companies. Congratulations on your successful experience.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:59 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,290,938 times
Quote:
It doesn't bother me and Assist2Sell has it's place in the marketplace. I was pointing out to others to always look at both full service and limited service agencies when evaluating companies. Congratulations on your successful experience.
Appreciate the sentiment. Again though, as I admitted in my first post, I'm unsure if in this market Assist2Sell would be the way to go. It just worked out fine when we sold, so..... Who knows??

Old 03-17-2008, 11:59 AM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
It all depends on the seller. Low service companies have their place when it comes down to it. It's a matter of seller needs and having all the information rather than picking a commission. Sometimes you lose money by trying to save it. Sometimes you save, depends on the situation. As always, the best choice is to interview multiple agents then hire the best one.

Old 03-17-2008, 02:17 PM

135 posts, read 479,091 times
We just used A2S to "try" and sell our second home. Our agent/Broker is also a friend of mine. I CAN NOT wait till April 2nd is here and our contract is up with them.

She told us our home would most likely sell in 2 months. It has been almost 4 and only 2 offers (that were very insulting @ 20% less than the asking price).) Now I know she can not predict how long it will take to sell a house, but I don't fell as if the property got as much exposure as if we would have gone with a larger company (there is only 3 agents in the A2S office). JMO

Old 03-17-2008, 03:51 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,222,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osunshine View Post
We just used A2S to "try" and sell our second home. Our agent/Broker is also a friend of mine. I CAN NOT wait till April 2nd is here and our contract is up with them.

She told us our home would most likely sell in 2 months. It has been almost 4 and only 2 offers (that were very insulting @ 20% less than the asking price).) Now I know she can not predict how long it will take to sell a house, but I don't fell as if the property got as much exposure as if we would have gone with a larger company (there is only 3 agents in the A2S office). JMO
That was her first mistake. Unless she was prepared to write an offer herself, nobody not named The Amazing Kreskin can predict when a property will sell.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:38 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Quote:
That was her first mistake. Unless she was prepared to write an offer herself, nobody not named The Amazing Kreskin can predict when a property will sell.
Well, maybe Dirk Zeller or Brian Buffini. They are kind of like magicians.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:41 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,308,096 times
Yes, I am a member of the local, state, and national Realtors association. Yes, I am a pay quite a fee (nearly $ 800.00 per year in addition to a $ 350.00 application fee) to have access to the MLS. It is not a cheap process to operate an MLS. Most MLS's, including mine, have a public site, too. My firm's website is an IDX member which means that other IDX members and my firm have agreed to place each other's listings on our search pages. Do you think that a mechanic would loan you his special tools to fix your car? Why should the public think there is any difference between a mechanic's and a Realtor's tools?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate