Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 03:21 PM

22,615 posts, read 36,526,486 times

Advertisements

Fences are expensive.

We have one around our yard which is good because we have a dog. Growing up we didn't have a fence, no one did (unless there was a pool in the yard) but those were the days where we were sent out in the morning and didn't come home till lunch and then again for dinner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 03:55 PM

3,978 posts, read 1,968,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Yeah. We wave, say hello, and ask them over for a glass of wine. That NEVER happened when we lived behind those cement block walls.
When we lived behind those big walls we would have had what we called "progressive cocktails", where we had a drink and finger foods at each others homes, each house had a time block for hosting. Other places we had seasonal block parties.Worked great, and we still saw each other while out dog walking. My years in Sicily, we stayed behind our walls, made local friends elsewhere. Our neighbors there were far too nosy and demanding, the walls made it tolerable.

I always figured you buy your house and lot, you dont buy your neighbors. Tall walls allow one to be as private as you want, but nothing about those walls stops you from doing things with your neighborhood. It just takes a tad more effort sometimes.

Old 07-16-2017, 03:58 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,851,305 times
There are different kinds of fencing- in our neighborhood, the fences (about 3/4 are fenced or have a back yard fence) range from 6 ft privacy fences - but typically only a portion of the yard, and others, where the fronts have a fence - are chain link or a combo of nice looking wood and metal grating, that acts as a framework for plants to grow on, and also allows for visibility-
I personally find it more inviting this way...

Old 07-16-2017, 04:07 PM

227 posts, read 256,225 times
If we didn't need a fence I'd never put one in. Pricey and upkeep. But we've had dogs and have always needed them. I totally get why some people don't bother though.

Old 07-16-2017, 04:10 PM

15,952 posts, read 20,916,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
For those of you that have children, how do you keep tabs on your kids when they are playing out in the "yard?" They could wander off anywhere.
LOL
If your kids are little they shouldn't be outside without someone, fenced yard or not. If they are older they can understand "stay in our yard", but even if they do wander off to play with the other kids there are no fences so you can see all the kids no matter which yard they happen to be in. It's actually kind of nice to send your kid off to play with little dinkems down the street and stick your head out the back door and see where they both are.

Old 07-16-2017, 04:16 PM

34,091 posts, read 82,473,972 times
Quote:
So what's the problem with putting in a fence?
NOT having a fence = avoid tenants with dogs
Same as only 2 bedrooms avoids tenants with a lot of kids

Old 07-16-2017, 04:20 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,509,795 times
I personally don't see the need. My neighbors on either side did put up a fence, so there really is no need for me to, not that there ever was.

Old 07-16-2017, 04:24 PM

15,631 posts, read 26,115,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
That seems to be true in SoCal. Everyone had a privacy fence since my childhood. When we'd go visit our relatives in MN, I was amazed to see the unfenced huge, rolling lawns extending from one house to another, and so on down the block. I'd never seen that before. It looked terrific, but what about the kids playing, the pets, the nude sun-bathing?
I grew up in no fence land...and as kids we respected the property line. It took our parents a few times to let us know the boundary and it stuck. Our dog also stayed in our yard, too. Neighbors whose dogs didn't stay in the yards were let out in a dog run or on a tether.

Moved here, and we have fences.

I never really thought about it. No real preference. I don't sunbathe, nude or otherwise.

Old 07-16-2017, 04:24 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,268,760 times
I don't really care about privacy, but since I have dogs and moved a few years ago to a suburban-to-urban area, I've come to appreciate tall backyard fences. My dogs have always been safe, and I wouldn't trade that for anything.

However, with all the expenses associated with owning a rental as a landlord, you can't really expect a landlord to want to have a fence - the maintenance is a PITA. I have very specific things I want in a house, so after a couple of years of renting, I bought a house with everything I wanted.

Old 07-16-2017, 04:46 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,304,919 times
Quote:
<snip>

For those of you that have children, how do you keep tabs on your kids when they are playing out in the "yard?" They could wander off anywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
LOL
If your kids are little they shouldn't be outside without someone, fenced yard or not. If they are older they can understand "stay in our yard", but even if they do wander off to play with the other kids there are no fences so you can see all the kids no matter which yard they happen to be in. It's actually kind of nice to send your kid off to play with little dinkems down the street and stick your head out the back door and see where they both are.
What she said.

When the kids were small, I would be outside with them teaching them boundaries. When they got older and were able to be outside on their own, they had already learned that they were not allowed to go in other peoples yard.

Most kids that have parents that are hands on teach their kids what the rules are. I think fences really don't lend to teaching kids boundaries. They don't even have to think about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate