U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 09:18 AM

352 posts, read 268,724 times

Advertisements

Thereís a small 55+ development in the vicinity that caught my eye. No current listings or recent sales that I can find, so presuming that turnover there is slow at best.

Between information from maps and online property tax records, I can easily locate desirable properties and owner info.

Considering snail-mailing letters expressing my interest in purchasing to half a dozen or so home owners in that development, but donít want to freakout any little 80 year old ladies there.

Good idea or creepy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 09:59 AM

1,505 posts, read 577,369 times
I'd do a mass email to all, addressed to "Dear (name of condo assn) homeowner," and explain that you are interested in buying a property in (name of condo assn). And then say "if you are considering selling your property in the future, and would like a competitive market price, please contact me."

Don't address it to owners' names. That might be creepy to an elderly person.

Old 07-30-2017, 10:01 AM

6,450 posts, read 6,466,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90077 View Post
Thereís a small 55+ development in the vicinity that caught my eye. No current listings or recent sales that I can find, so presuming that turnover there is slow at best.

Between information from maps and online property tax records, I can easily locate desirable properties and owner info.

Considering snail-mailing letters expressing my interest in purchasing to half a dozen or so home owners in that development, but donít want to freakout any little 80 year old ladies there.

Good idea or creepy?
There was a home in my then current neighborhood I thought would be a perfect step up home for us...I mailed a post card explaining who I was where I lived along with my cell#. I just asked if in the future the were going to sell would they give me an opportunity before listing. The home owner actually called me a few days later saying they were staying put for at least 5 more years but if something changed they would let me know. Sadly we never got the house we decided to move on the water...

Old 07-30-2017, 10:03 AM
Status: "I can learn to admire w/o having to aquire." (set 9 days ago)

Location: Where the last of the "Big 3" has retired. Spurs country.
3,044 posts, read 3,620,528 times
I like your thoughts, who knows who may be in the market to sell but haven't done anything about it yet. I think I would send the letters, though, addressed to "Current Resident" or "Current Occupant" at the address, that way nobody knows you have researched them to get their names (creepy) and they don't feel like they have had their privacy invaded.

I live in a desirable 55+ and have gotten notices asking me to or encouraging me to sell my home, usually official postcards, from realtors who have sold a home in my community. They do have my name on them, but under the circumstances it does not creep me out.

Old 07-30-2017, 10:23 AM

39,117 posts, read 37,766,222 times
It happens all the time in our neighborhood. We get two or three letters every couple months.

Old 07-30-2017, 10:28 PM

8,238 posts, read 7,171,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90077 View Post

Good idea or creepy?
Will you even be allowed to buy in the development if you aren't 55+ & have zero plans to live in the community?

Old 07-31-2017, 08:27 AM

4,230 posts, read 3,528,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
It happens all the time in our neighborhood. We get two or three letters every couple months.
We get about 1 a month at our townhomes.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:16 AM

10,274 posts, read 6,519,194 times
It's fine, just let them know you are a potential buyer and not a real estate broker. It may spur someone who is only thinking about it to go forward and sell.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:37 AM

1,695 posts, read 775,044 times
We get these all the time. Mailings are better than phone calls. I agree with addressing it to homeowners in general instead of to individuals. I'm not sure it will help you, but I don't think it is particularly creepy. Good luck!

Old 08-02-2017, 03:09 PM

150 posts, read 75,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
Will you even be allowed to buy in the development if you aren't 55+ & have zero plans to live in the community?

Did I miss something, or how have you come to these assumptions? I didn't read any of that into the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or