Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 03:04 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,326,692 times

Advertisements

I know someone that sued their agent for using their house for their own purposes. Not a party, but even worse. It was a relocation situation, so the owner and their family had moved out and the house was vacant. The realtor took pictures of the empty house and listed it for sale. The realtor moved their stuff into the house and began living in it while waiting for it to sell. The realtor was caught red handed when the owner came through town on business and decided to take a look at their house. He found it packed full of stuff inside and it was very clear someone was living there. He called the cops and they all assumed that it was squatters that had broken in, they were all very surprised when they figured out that the listing agent and her boyfriend had been living there for a few months. The brokerage ended up buying the house and their malpractice insurance wrote a fairly sizable check to settle the case. The agent lost their license and went to jail for a couple of months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 11:06 AM

1,046 posts, read 750,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
The agent lost their license and went to jail for a couple of months.
Wow. Fortunately things like that happening are rare.

It's interesting that this topic is being bantered about... we are looking at properties in NE Florida and there just aren't many available in the area we are looking currently. The buying agent we are using said it is slow because many people are snowbirds gone up north and don't want their properties listed while they are out of town, where they cannot keep an eye on things. At first I thought it would be easier to be gone because one wouldn't have to keep a house immaculate for showings. Now I am thinking I wouldn't want to have a vacant house for selling either.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:19 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,889,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowilldo View Post
Wow. Fortunately things like that happening are rare.

It's interesting that this topic is being bantered about... we are looking at properties in NE Florida and there just aren't many available in the area we are looking currently. The buying agent we are using said it is slow because many people are snowbirds gone up north and don't want their properties listed while they are out of town, where they cannot keep an eye on things. At first I thought it would be easier to be gone because one wouldn't have to keep a house immaculate for showings. Now I am thinking I wouldn't want to have a vacant house for selling either.
While I obviously ca't say that this sort of thing doesn't happen, I am pretty confident in saying that it's rare. Most people (and therefore most real estate agents) are reasonably honest. It's a rare agent who is stupid and rude enough to pull something like this. Don't let a fear of this change your plans too much. For a couple of hundred dollars, you can easily install a motion activated video camera so you can monitor your house 24/7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate