Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 04:49 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,588,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I haven't heard of any attorneys that visit construction site to "monitor" progress. maybe some do.
What is meant by "monitor progress" in relation to the agent's role in the construction process?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 04:56 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
What is meant by "monitor progress" in relation to the agent's role in the construction process?
You look and see where the home is with respect to finishing. You then compare it with the schedule. If an apparent discrepancy you alert your client or query the builder and inform your client of the status.

There...that was not hard was it?

IS the Realtor qualified to do so? Most can successfully determine when framing is up or the roof on or the home is stuccoed. Not exactly rocket science.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:17 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
shoot me your email address, and I'll send you a photo of what I'm talking about.

Old 08-06-2017, 08:52 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
With with with. The builder's sales agent is NOT your friend, no matter how sweet they seem. And he/she has a priority: Make their employer happy - just like any other employee. I've always wondered why nobody trusts car salesman, but when it comes to big bucks like a house, they trust the builders agent? WTH is up with that?

Our agent saved us about 12k by documenting what the sales agent told us was included in the base pricing, but month's later at the pre-construction meeting, they had disappeared. The house wasn't even placed on the lot the way she said it would be (which was a HUGE issue for us.)

We were relocating from Phoenix to Raleigh, and she saved me from making some really bad choices at the design Center (my selections would have been perfect for the SW but totally out of place in Raleigh. Like I wanted all wood floors except for the kitchen where I wanted travertine. Ever seen that in Raleigh? Nope. But it's pervasive in phoenix.)

Hell, without the agent, we never even would have heard or seen the community and this house. We love both.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:27 PM

516 posts, read 1,076,183 times
This "Buyers Agent" was slow to catch on on Long Island. 17 years ago (my last home purchase) I was not even aware they existed. 10 years later when my son was in the market for a home he looked at several using an agent. The sellers agent would have paid the buyers agents commission but I sensed they were not happy about it. Today everyone has a buyers agent.

I just do not see how an adult needs someone to negotiate a deal for them, either you like the price you negotiated (I can find my own comps,We have the internet LOL) or you don't . You hire your own inspector, search the town records (the title co is going to do it anyway) and work from there.

You and a good Real Estate Attorney can do it, To the OP, Get your self a good Attorney who knows construction and Get it done.

Old 08-07-2017, 07:15 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
I'm in SC and I pretty much agree with Mike. You typically pay the same price with or without an agent. There are many threads about this, just search the forum and you'll find dozens of threads you can read though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate