Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 06:00 PM

22,448 posts, read 11,972,828 times

Advertisements

People who live in our community have the option of paying an annual fee to use a pool and clubhouse that belongs to the community next to ours. We have the option of paying to only use the outdoor pool during the season or paying for a year round membership which involves using the work out room. Some in our community like to pay to use the pool and bring their kids with them. OTOH, many of us aren't interested in joining and paying for it. We've never joined.

Our realtor said that since this is optional and not covered by our HOA fee, it's not necessary to mention it as it is an extra cost.

In the past, some homes that have sold in our community mention this option while others didn't mention it.

I'm interested in hearing if you think mentioning the optional membership at extra cost will help sell the house or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 06:41 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Certainly would not hurt. I'd find a place to let it be know.

We have a spot for Private Remarks for the agents to read. Maybe there. Or write it on the Sellers Disclosure.

Old 08-09-2017, 06:51 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,986,772 times
I think it is a plus. There's nothing more frustrating than paying HOA fees for things one doesn't use (pool, clubhouse etc).

Consequently, should people question why there is no pool.....voila.. not a problem.. just join the pool next community over.

I look at it as a win-win for any buyer - as long as your HOA fees are not outrageous compared to like subdivisions.

Old 08-09-2017, 06:54 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Our realtor said that since this is optional and not covered by our HOA fee,
it's not necessary to mention it as it is an extra cost.
^^THAT is the point that NEEDS to be made.

Quote:
I'm interested in hearing if you think mentioning the optional membership at extra cost...
You don't have to write a 10 page monologue but a "batteries not included" statement is warranted.
I'd be really surprised that it isn't required.

Quote:
...will help sell the house or not.
Helping to sell or not.. I see it as a disclosure issue.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:11 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
It's a feature. I would probably mention it, either in the public or agent remarks.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:16 PM

22,448 posts, read 11,972,828 times
Thank you, everyone!

We are now in the process of getting the house ready to hit the market.

We will mention to our realtor that we want it to be known about the pool/clubhouse membership.

Old 08-10-2017, 04:32 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
I meet young families who would like this arrangement, particularly if the pool is in a convenient location.

Pay for the pool while the kids are of an age that they would use it, with the option not to pay when they see usage declining.

Old 08-10-2017, 04:49 AM

45,328 posts, read 60,500,026 times
If I were a buyer I would consider it important and an attraction since I don't like to swim or use a workout room. Not having the fees automatically included in the HOA fees would be a plus for me.

Many people wouldn't read the documents, or wouldn't understand them,

I'm dealing with an HOA now where several residents are complaining about their dues going to maintain common areas which they themselves don't use. Basically they're just fields mostly used by dog owners so there are a couple agendas going on.

Old 08-10-2017, 05:41 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,483,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
In the past, some homes that have sold in our community mention this option while others didn't mention it.
Have you noticed a difference in sales prices? If not then what difference does it make?

Old 08-10-2017, 05:46 AM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
If I were a buyer I would consider it important and an attraction since I don't like to swim or use a workout room. Not having the fees automatically included in the HOA fees would be a plus for me.

Many people wouldn't read the documents, or wouldn't understand them,

I'm dealing with an HOA now where several residents are complaining about their dues going to maintain common areas which they themselves don't use. Basically they're just fields mostly used by dog owners so there are a couple agendas going on.
I don't see an agenda. I see stupid people that did not read the documents before they bought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate