U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-13-2008, 12:11 PM
Noc Noc started this thread

728 posts, read 1,141,299 times
Default corner lots

In this market will a corner lot stand out more than a comp that sits in the middle of a block with less usable yard space? Say both houses had the same sqft and were up to date and well kept.

How much of a price difference do features like this play when comparing comps or are they negligible?

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 12:44 PM

15,473 posts, read 20,272,968 times
I would never buy a corner lot and to me it has less value since there is more chances of getting buglars, since they can get away easy.

Often bus stops are at corners so that can have a negative thing to it and if there is a bus stop on a corner many time cars are parked and will drive over the easement on corner lots so to me it is something I won't even consider, but that is just me.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:49 PM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 3,082,135 times
I have more usable yard than either of my neighbors who both have a corner lot. (Of course, both their homes sit catty-cornered on their lots and reduces their usable yard.)

A corner lot doesn't really make a difference to me if I were looking to buy a house...I wouldn't pay more for a corner lot, if that's what you're asking...

Old 03-13-2008, 12:56 PM

54 posts, read 113,513 times
Default Depends

For me, it depends on the lot. Some corner lots are smaller and some are bigger. It depends if it's in a busy neighborhood or in a pretty quiet neighborhood. My home is on a corner lot and is considered the best lot. Our lot is 3.5 acres while everyone else's lots are 1-2 acres. There are no bus stops and it really wouldn't matter if there was one since I can't even see the road from my house. Like I said, it depends.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:03 PM
Noc Noc started this thread

728 posts, read 1,141,299 times
This isn't a main thoroughfare it's a secluded neighborhood with about 50 cars max down both streets per day (residents). The corner is a T shape 3 way. No mass transit in the neighborhood school bus maybe. Very quiet and private on the corner (good thing, bad thing /shrug).

I'm just trying to figure out if I base my house on comps should I take the corner lot into consideration. Thats one area that has always shined about my property was the privacy, yard space and lack of neighbors on one side. It tends to have that WOW factor on people especially in the summer when all the plants are filled in

Old 03-13-2008, 01:05 PM

1,500 posts, read 4,929,913 times
I think in most neighborhoods where the lot size is under .25, the corner lots tend to have more side yard than back yard and I wouldn't want that. Also, some HOA and/or county code have restrictions on what can be planted or what type of fencing (as far as set backs and height) that can be put on a corner lot.

Some people do prefer corner lots but I don't know if they would pay extra for it.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:39 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,417,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noc View Post
In this market will a corner lot stand out more than a comp that sits in the middle of a block with less usable yard space? Say both houses had the same sqft and were up to date and well kept.

How much of a price difference do features like this play when comparing comps or are they negligible?

Thanks
for me it depends on the overall location. if the corner lot was on 2 side (ie quiet) streets) then a corner lot would have more value to me because you typically get more land with a corner lot (at least in mass you do). BUT if one side was on a main road then it would have less value. I never want to live on a main road, period.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:23 PM

6,066 posts, read 8,170,594 times
Quote:
This isn't a main thoroughfare it's a secluded neighborhood with about 50 cars max down both streets per day (residents). The corner is a T shape 3 way. No mass transit in the neighborhood school bus maybe. Very quiet and private on the corner (good thing, bad thing /shrug).

I'm just trying to figure out if I base my house on comps should I take the corner lot into consideration. Thats one area that has always shined about my property was the privacy, yard space and lack of neighbors on one side. It tends to have that WOW factor on people especially in the summer when all the plants are filled in
I would price it based on the comps and not give any consideration to it being a corner lot. Many people do not like corner lots because of the security concerns. That will lose you some prospective buyers. If you try to price it higher than the comps, that will lose you more.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:39 PM

1,500 posts, read 4,929,913 times
Quote:

If it is private and as nice as you say I wouldn't mention it being a corner lot because you might get someone that wouldn't look at a corner lot but get the "wow" after seeing it.

Old 03-13-2008, 03:00 PM

10,853 posts, read 18,143,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
I would price it based on the comps and not give any consideration to it being a corner lot. Many people do not like corner lots because of the security concerns. That will lose you some prospective buyers. If you try to price it higher than the comps, that will lose you more.
I agree with Captain Bill. The fact that it is a corner lot really doesn't add any additional value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate