Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2017, 11:39 AM

186 posts, read 175,568 times

Advertisements

When I look at Real Estate listings in different states which I can afford I check a couple of things right off. 1 - How many times has the house sold in the last 10 years,if many Why? 2- How long has the Current owner been living there. If less than 3 years Why? Get info on the neighborhood. 3 - Buy AS IS that could mean major problems due to no upkeep. 4- Upgrades(Additions) that are brand new and might not be included in the property tax yet. 5 What kind of Utilities Public Water Sewer and Natural Gas . Schools for me are not important as my children are way past that . Young couples with young kids it would be one of the most important things. Curious to know what people think of when looking at Real Estate listings and what is a no-no to them. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 01:09 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,863,586 times
Also look to see if there are lots of current/previous rental listings within the subdivision or neighborhood.

An area that is, or is becoming rental heavy vs owner occupied is considered a negative in some parts of the country.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:16 PM

186 posts, read 175,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
Also look to see if there are lots of current/previous rental listings within the subdivision or neighborhood.

An area that is, or is becoming rental heavy vs owner occupied is considered a negative in some parts of the country.
Yes as I am also looking at listings in Delaware where rentals are common near the beach areas where I would be a owner. With rentals you never know who they are and they and will not take care of the House and property as much.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:35 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retired58 View Post
When I look at Real Estate listings in different states which I can afford I check a couple of things right off.
1 - How many times has the house sold in the last 10 years,if many Why?
2- How long has the Current owner been living there. If less than 3 years Why?
3 - Buy AS IS that could mean major problems due to no upkeep.
4- Upgrades (Additions) that are brand new and might not be included in the property tax yet.
5 What kind of Utilities Public Water Sewer and Natural Gas .
Schools for me are not important as my children are way past that
Whether YOU need/want to use the local schools or not ...having good ones nearby counts for a lot.

It's the single largest common denominator in making a healthy vs weak market ...affecting value.
Immeasurably more important than whether the house has natural gas
or how long ago the bathroom was remodeled and similar concerns.

Old 08-17-2017, 02:51 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,540,499 times
I agree schools are important even if you don't have kids. You don't have to be in the uber-best district, but you don't want to be in a district that people avoid.

Old 08-17-2017, 06:10 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,829,894 times
With condos, we look at funded reserves versus overall condition; rental policies and percentage of units rented; age of the building and related A/C units and condition of facilities. Amount of personal storage, parking and access to both. Type and condition of automobiles parked in the lot; overall location and neighborhood trends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate