Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 08:38 AM

384 posts, read 376,372 times

Advertisements

You might be able to go online and find out about the roof , a permit from the city needs to be pulled before any work can be done. I can get online and see all the permits pulled the last 17 years on this home. I had a sewer scope done at walkthrough , they gave me a video of the scope. Its really important to find out about the sewer line because the homeowner is responsible for the lines from the home to the road if something should happen and that can run thousands. Your realtor should have provided this info to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 08:51 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,733,435 times
I guess I'm just not understanding why this wasn't resolved before closing???? At any rate, I wouldn't wait weeks to discuss with your realtor. I'd want s meeting ASAP! Otherwise meet with the managing broker. If and when you ever buy a home again, don't close until all issues are resolved!

Old 08-20-2017, 11:21 AM

340 posts, read 223,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
Riggy, I thought we had basically agreed to just disagree on who was at fault for certain things not happening during the course of the transaction but you have again gone way beyond the pale by suggesting that I am "scheming" (yet again) and am "sick" and "twisted" and looking to sure the agent and financially benefit from the things that have gone wrong. I recognize this is a public forum and that people have different opinions and thoughts on how something should have been handled but you've really sunk pretty low with making personal attacks on my character, as if I am some terrible person who concocted some elaborate scheme to sue a realtor.

You don't know me in the least and haven't met me, so you don't know what my intentions were, my character or really much of anything. You will cease with these personal attacks on my character, as I will not stand for it any longer.

Edit: also the OP (me) is a "he", not a "she"; my realtor would be a "she", though.
You need to stop playing the victim, and own up to just how foul your intentions were from the beginning. Whether you realized it at the time or not.

You need to admit that you are the one who crossed lines.

You need to face the reality that you are the one who had sunk to lows.

And if anyone should be offended it's your agent.

Then you need to explain to your agent one of the primary reasons you had her set up the inspections, was because you were hoping you could use her as the fall guy in case the inspections turned out to be foul.

Explain to her, just as you did to us, that you had already done research enough to understand that by letting her choose the inspector, there would be many risks involved, and that you knew many nightmare situations that could arise from doing that.

Tell her that the reason you had her set up the inspections anyway, was not only because you were afraid you couldn't find a trustworthy professional in time, but because you also wanted to use her as the scapegoat in case the inspections were foul. And yes, you need to use the word "scapegoat", because that's exactly what your intentions were for her.

Let her know that your ill-thought plan was to hopefully put some of those burdens un-rightfully onto her, and that you now realize how wrong that was on your part.

Apologize to her for putting her in that position, and let her know that you now realize that setting up an inspection should have been entirely on you.

You start out by coming clean on just how much of a mistake all of that was on your part, then you might have a chance at mending/continuing a working relationship. Anything other than that, and you're just in denial, or playing head games.

If you can't come clean on these things, and at least be able admit these things to yourself, than both of you would be better off breaking ties right now, and dealing with your own problems.

It's that simple.

Last edited by riggy_house; 08-20-2017 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: grammer and misspellling

Old 08-20-2017, 11:45 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,690,334 times
Absolute bull**** riggy. You have crossed the line again in assuming that you know me or what my intentions were/are. I think it is safe to say that, yes, I made mistakes during the process and will own up to those mistakes when I get the chance to talk to my agent. However, words like "scapegoat", "plot" and "scheme" will not be uttered by me or part of our discussion because that simply isn't true.

I know my intentions and they were honest. Did I make mistakes? Almost certainly so and, if so, they were done because I was foolish and an inexperienced buyer and didn't fully know the process. It certainly wasn't because I was plotting or scheming or intending to cheat anyone or sue anyone. You can continue down the path of trying to paint me as a conartist and cheat on this thread if you wish but I will defend myself whenever you do because I had no ulterior motives whatsoever and resent you stating such.

Old 08-20-2017, 12:21 PM

13,717 posts, read 7,992,868 times
Live and learn. A roof and sewer lines can be costly.

In the future get your own people. Unless I knew the RE agent very well I wouldn't rely on their recommendations during an inspection period. The RE agent wants the deal to close. That's their chief concern. No close, no commission.

You on the other hand want to be sure your not stuck with costly repairs after moving in. Get people that work for you.

Old 08-20-2017, 12:34 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,690,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Live and learn. A roof and sewer lines can be costly.

In the future get your own people. Unless I knew the RE agent very well I wouldn't rely on their recommendations during an inspection period. The RE agent wants the deal to close. That's their chief concern. No close, no commission.

You on the other hand want to be sure your not stuck with costly repairs after moving in. Get people that work for you.

That pretty much is my takeaway lesson:

1. Pick my own inspectors, schedule them, make sure the inspections truly happen and that I receive a copy of the inspection report and the invoice in a timely fashion.

2. If communication with my realtor breaks down, I should go ahead and schedule a face-to-face meeting to discuss the issue rather than allowing the issue to continue and assuming that the realtor will fix the problem. The realtor won't know that there is a problem unless I tell him/her that there is a problem that needs to addressed.

Those are the big two, IMO. I had intended to allow this thread to just die a natural death once I posted that I was able to get ahold of my realtor and she agreed to meet and discuss the issues during the transaction (I think that was way back on page 4) but I just couldn't accept a couple of posters questioning my integrity and honesty and, as a result, this thread continued and ended up taking a severe turn for the worse and went way beyond constructive feedback and into personal attacks.

Old 08-20-2017, 12:40 PM

340 posts, read 223,006 times
Quote:
Absolute bull**** riggy. You have crossed the line again in assuming that you know me or what my intentions were/are. I think it is safe to say that, yes, I made mistakes during the process and will own up to those mistakes when I get the chance to talk to my agent. However, words like "scapegoat", "plot" and "scheme" will not be uttered by me or part of our discussion because that simply isn't true.
Scheme: a systematic plan or arrangement for attaining some particular object or putting a particular idea into effect.

Scapegoat: a person who is blamed for the wrongdoings, mistakes, or faults of others. Whipping boy.

Quote:
I know my intentions and they were honest. Did I make mistakes? Almost certainly so and, if so, they were done because I was foolish and an inexperienced buyer and didn't fully know the process. It certainly wasn't because I was plotting or scheming or intending to cheat anyone or sue anyone. You can continue down the path of trying to paint me as a conartist and cheat on this thread if you wish but I will defend myself whenever you do because I had no ulterior motives whatsoever and resent you stating such.
If your intentions weren't to try and make her and/or her office financially and legally liable for faulty inspections, then what were they?

Because so far this is what we have you saying:

Quote:
I did my research beforehand and am aware that realtors have their favorites and that there was/is a risk that the inspector cuts corners/overlooks things/rushes the inspection with a wink and a smile to his friend the realtor.
You knew the risks, but went ahead with your plan, a.k.a. scheme, to have your realtor take responsibility for setting up the inspections because:

Quote:
The other reason I allowed the realtor to select and schedule the inspectors is because if I picked them and they ended up being terrible and missing numerous issues, then my realtor could just absolve herself of responsibility by saying "you hired them, not me" and viewing it as my problem completely.
You wanted to place your own burdens onto someone else, should any major problems show up after the deal has closed. Now you can go back to your scapegoat and complain that their in pocket inspector and their service regarding the inspection was foul. This is what you have been planning, and this is what you have been threatening from the beginning.

So, now that you have yourself and others convinced that it was your agent's responsibility to see through to a smooth and thorough inspection, you are getting advice from experienced board members on how to go about suing your realtor.

You also have yourself and others convinced that since the responsibility was hers, then it's also her fault you didn't get that crucial information in time before you signed off on the property.

You made a horrible decision from the beginning, and now you are looking for some sort of reconciliation from your agent and/or realtor for what you've gone through.

If that reconciliation doesn't involve legal and financial redemption, that is fine and dandy, however you still have already admitted to trying to place the burden of a foul inspection onto your agent. If it wasn't for financial motives, then perhaps it was because you were just looking to have a whipping boy in case the inspection went awry. Either way, it's still makes her definition scapegoat.

Old 08-20-2017, 12:41 PM

13,717 posts, read 7,992,868 times
Why didn't you back out during the inspection period of you had concerns?

Old 08-20-2017, 01:17 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamanderSmile View Post
We were first time sellers and had similar communication problems with the realtor we chose to SELL our house. So I would imagine a buyer may face similar issues.

If you go through this again you should not close on the house until you have everything that you need. What if there are sewer problems? You have no recourse. What makes you think the inspection even happened? I would get one asap and hold your agent's broker's feet to the fire if anything turns up.

Call the listing agent and ask if your sellers have any details on the roof replacement. We insisted on warranty info and contractor details and proof of a permit when our sellers handed us a "new" roof.

Here in Florida I can go to a website for the county, punch in the address and it will tell me every permit that was pulled for any repairs and who did the work. Is it possible the sellers replaced the roof themselves?

Old 08-20-2017, 01:23 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
I have found that the realtors give you the information if its 'good news' but will not if its 'bad news'. And yes, communication problems, especially with the bad news part is common, I think.

So for the roof, likely it required a permit if the house is in city limits. You may be able to check and see if a permit was issued for you property. It may have been issued to the roofing company. Then you know who it is.

But, I would think that the real issue is that the news is 'bad news', that is, the roof was done by an unlicensed person, either the owners themselves, a handyman, or friend. And thus there is no warranty...and it may have been done correctly...or not. Likely it was done cheaply to sell the house.

For the sewer, if I were you, since I do not trust realtors much, I would have the sewer inspection done ASAP. If it is clear as you were told, all is good. You did not pay for the other inspection anyway, so nothing is lost on your part, paying for one now. BUT if it shows a problem, you can require (either through their volunteering or through the courts) to have it fixed at their ---the Broker's ---cost. They have insurance for this. You bought the house, and released the contingency on their word.

My concern would be that they finally got the report AFTER you already told the seller you would remove the inspection contingency (based on the broker's oral report) and the report showed a problem. Since you could no longer ask the seller to fix the problem, and it was the realtor's fault, it may have been simpler for the realtor to pay for the inspection and loose the report. Am I paranoid, maybe, but the cost to verify and know your system is ok is not much, and if you do it soon, you can make the broker pay for the repair, if one is needed, which can be a lot of money for sewer systems.

^^^This, definitely.^^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate