Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 10:54 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,796,607 times

Advertisements

My house is still officially for sale, even though an offer was accepted. I'm waiting for my contract to be completed and signed.

Prospective buyers obviously enjoy cruising the nabe looking at homes for sale. They regularly pass by my house, take pictures and often walk around my property without an agent — with me at home while they trespass.

My agent changed the r.e. site descriptions, telling buyers not to walk on the property without an agent, but they do it anyway. I had a couple of lookie-loos moments ago and chased them off. A couple of times agents and their clients came around and walked around the property without an appointment for a showing.

There's a sign on my front door: "Offer Accepted, No More Showings" and I gave the name and number of my agent.

What can be done about this? It's going on for weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2017, 11:24 AM

3,829 posts, read 6,731,744 times
Suck it up and deal with it. Ignore them. Keep the blinds closed if it bothers you that much. Most of these people probably didn't even look online, therefore they likely have no idea it is under contract.

If your sale falls through, one of these people very well may step in and buy it.

Old 08-19-2017, 11:40 AM

We had a very popular open house, but some people paid no attention to the time (11:30 - 1:30). People were coming around until almost 8 pm.

Buyers have been coming to my door by themselves hoping for a tour. One woman was so insistent I struggled to get her to leave.

Most of the worst offenders belong to two ethic groups I won't name. I have no bias against them, only to note they seem to have a different understanding of public versus private property.

Old 08-19-2017, 12:20 PM

480 posts, read 1,183,561 times
Did your agent update the status in the MLS once you accepted an offer? Should be Active Option, Pending, or something similar. Also, have your agent put a similar update on your yard sign, assuming you have one.

Now that won't stop people from coming by to look but that's about all you can do at this point.

Old 08-19-2017, 12:38 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
We had a very popular open house, but some people paid no attention to the time (11:30 - 1:30). People were coming around until almost 8 pm.
That really is weird. Normal people have common sense, and even if they hadn't checked the listing in the paper (or wherever), would know that anytime after 4 or 5, max, on a weekend would be an imposition.

I guess the silver lining is that you have a popular place, or a good location!

Old 08-19-2017, 12:43 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
I find it odd too, have never heard of this happening. Frankly I would not answer the door, and usually don't when someone I'm not expecting comes to the door. If you are visible inside the house, simply shake your head and walk away, if you can't be seen ask people thru the door what they want. Then tell them "not interested".

As far as people walking around the property keep a sprinkler out in your yard and turn it on when they come.

This is one thing I liked about selling my house in NY - our village didn't allow real estate signs so people just driving by were none the wiser that the house was for sale.

Old 08-19-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That really is weird. Normal people have common sense, and even if they hadn't checked the listing in the paper (or wherever), would know that anytime after 4 or 5, max, on a weekend would be an imposition.
I haven't seen much of that common sense stuff going around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I guess the silver lining is that you have a popular place, or a good location!
Yes and yes. It's an attractive house in a good location, priced right and there's low inventories. The response has been amazing, and I understand this is the downside to my good fortune.

My agent tells me this problem should improve once we're under contract. Hoping this happens in the next few days.

I have no for sale sign out, and they're obviously finding the house via the r.e. sites (ignoring the "do not walk on property" part).

Old 08-19-2017, 02:01 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,049,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
My house is still officially for sale, even though an offer was accepted. I'm waiting for my contract to be completed and signed.

Prospective buyers obviously enjoy cruising the nabe looking at homes for sale. They regularly pass by my house, take pictures and often walk around my property without an agent — with me at home while they trespass.

My agent changed the r.e. site descriptions, telling buyers not to walk on the property without an agent, but they do it anyway. I had a couple of lookie-loos moments ago and chased them off. A couple of times agents and their clients came around and walked around the property without an appointment for a showing.

There's a sign on my front door: "Offer Accepted, No More Showings" and I gave the name and number of my agent.

What can be done about this? It's going on for weeks.
Take it off the market. Sounds like u can sell no matter what happens. Unlist it

Old 08-19-2017, 02:04 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
Post a large "Beware of Dog" sign

Old 08-19-2017, 02:15 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
No pending on the street sign?

Removing the sign would seem the most expeditious...

Next to me was a foreclosure and attractively priced to get offers for overbid...

It was 10 days of Hell... day and night people at MY door asking about the neighborhood... who had lived next door, did I know of any problems, etc...

I am not exaggerating one bit!

Since the home was vacant people would force or try entry late into the night... I complained to the listing broker who at the time was Board of Realtor president...

Did not like what she said one bit... she told me she has many of these and had never been to this one... she also said not to call her but 911 is something was amiss... I said it is OK to have the garage door open all night and every light on in the house 24 hours a day?

She actually got annoyed... her caviler attitude put me and my neighbors in jeopardy on our normally quiet street...

Imagine listing a property and getting a commission and never setting foot ever on the property...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate