Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 04:59 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times

Advertisements

6ft PVC fence, plus a few evergreen trees along the back of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 05:49 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
concrete brick wall, eight feet around patio

Old 08-21-2017, 06:22 PM

7,429 posts, read 4,672,937 times
It's just that houses being built now are 2 stories -- it's just more money for the builders since less footprint means volume. But with that, the people on 2F now can see you below.

What if you want to get a Jacuzzi at the back or enjoy frolicking in the sun on your own backyard. Americans have right to privacy no?

Old 08-21-2017, 06:39 PM

7,429 posts, read 4,672,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
20 acres with house in the middle
This does solve privacy but places that have these usually have, sorry to say, middling to poor school zones. I really struggle on house vs school decision. At this point though, with eldest kid only 12, I am leaning on school zone. But that means being in either townhouses or McMansions. There are times though I wake up and think "my kids are smart and driven, they don't need to be in the best school" and then I start looking farther away from the greater metro area that have all the privacy I so desire.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:16 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
No--this poster expected landlords to install fences.
No, I expected to find a house that already had a fence. There's a difference. I wasn't expecting a fence to be installed upon my request. I explained this numerous times.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:58 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Bought a house that backs to small strip of park land with native foliage...brushy trees and a run-off creek ...
So no building behind us for 25-30 ft is possible
And the city installed an 8-10 ft high wooden fence
And backyard privacy was high on list of must haves
Saw many many homes w/normal sz lots in neighborhoods w2 story homes all around...

Funny we also have home in FL bought 4 yrs after this one that has a 4ft chain link fence and a small 1/4 acre or smaller lot...like other houses...
We have big youpon hedge part way on back fence and sea grapes along one side yard...
And overgrown hedge on other side yard so have decent privacy there
That house is nxt door to,our daughter and her family --so location trumped privacy...

Last edited by loves2read; 08-21-2017 at 08:19 PM..

Old 08-21-2017, 08:53 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times
I just had a neighbor build a brand new house next to mine. He built it as close to mine as code would allow, and he graded his yard so he can see right over my privacy fence. Both are retired and outside all the time, and when they are inside they are in their sunroom that sits right next to my home. They can see everything I do in my backyard and it really pi**es me off. I guess I should be a nice neighbor to them but I refuse to talk to them over my fence. I never look into their yard or make eye contact, because I'm pi**ed I no longer have any privacy. I don't give a damn if they like it.

What I've done is planted this next to my fence.

Thuja Green Giant

Willow Hybrid

Old 08-21-2017, 09:26 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
A while back I started a thread about putting in fences. Some people were confused or appalled at my desire for privacy in a backyard.

I believe in good fences.
So do I.

I grew up in a safe neighborhood in a corner house without fences and often felt uncomfortable at night if I was home alone. I didn't like it.

As an adult I chose a home that was not a corner house and added fences all around and a very beautiful and secure, tall, locked redwood gate.

I'm not crazy about my small house, but I LOVE my fully-fenced, private backyard.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:13 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I just had a neighbor build a brand new house next to mine. He built it as close to mine as code would allow, and he graded his yard so he can see right over my privacy fence. Both are retired and outside all the time, and when they are inside they are in their sunroom that sits right next to my home. They can see everything I do in my backyard and it really pi**es me off. I guess I should be a nice neighbor to them but I refuse to talk to them over my fence. I never look into their yard or make eye contact, because I'm pi**ed I no longer have any privacy. I don't give a damn if they like it.

What I've done is planted this next to my fence.

Thuja Green Giant

Willow Hybrid
I hope you didn't plant that willow close to any water lines
Willows love water and their roots will go for a sewer line like crazy

Old 08-21-2017, 11:23 PM

277 posts, read 364,813 times
I live on several acres on top of a plateau about 700' above the valley floor. Pretty private.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate