U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-26-2017, 01:36 PM
 
25,077 posts, read 48,088,104 times
Reputation: 18204

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
OP, your buyer can buy themselves a home warranty if they want to. I think they are a waste of money but a lot of buyers like them. The buyers can pay for a home inspection is they want one.

When you negotiate the price, put into the contract that the property is being sold as-is.
A lot of agents love them too and many include them when they broker property in my market.

I asked one of the top agents why and she said it is inevitable for something to happen after sale... furnace stops or water heater leaks... etc... the warranty is a means to take herself out of the loop... and move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-26-2017, 04:15 PM
 
Location: AZ
485 posts, read 246,851 times
Reputation: 1909
If these folks are not native born Americans it is not unusual for "foreigners" from second and third world countries to transact all business in cash. Recall the Asian man who had thousands of dollars confiscated by law enforcement I think in Louisiana. He was going there to purchase a restaurant. Government hates cash transactions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2017, 05:57 PM
 
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
3,683 posts, read 1,888,760 times
Reputation: 6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
Plenty of people pay for homes with cash. Most sellers prefer cash buyers. It is usually a quicker process. You don't have to worry about an appraisal. Many cash buyers will waive the inspection.

It is quite common. You are suspicious for no reason.
I disagree.

Google this phrase "money laundering usa real estate".

Here's a story to read about how money laundering is shaping U.S. cities.:

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/mo...rticle/2618135
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2017, 07:14 PM
 
Location: Cary, NC
30,535 posts, read 53,485,812 times
Reputation: 28824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
A lot of agents love them too and many include them when they broker property in my market.

I asked one of the top agents why and she said it is inevitable for something to happen after sale... furnace stops or water heater leaks... etc... the warranty is a means to take herself out of the loop... and move on.
Well, we used to have to have clients sign off that they declined warranties.
There are too many stories of agents paying for a new water heater (for example) because they didn't offer to help select a home warranty, and the buyer blames them for a lapse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2017, 08:00 PM
 
1,259 posts, read 496,878 times
Reputation: 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
They said they would pay cash. But cash offers do not impress me because if they got a mortgage, I'd get the cash any.
Until I know more I won't know how they will pay cash. I think the couple means they have enough in the bank to pay for it depending on agreement on price. Or their parent in another country has the cash and will buy it for them by sending them the cash via an official bank check, etc.

The only thing I wonder is why doesn't the couple with good jobs get a mortgage. Maybe low credit rating or maybe they are not even legal residents of the USA. (?)
When we talked he did not indicate that he wanted to avoid a lawyer or an inspection, just the real estate commission of 6%.
Mortgages are very expensive. I paid cash for my last property - because I had it and it saved me tens of thousands of dollars poured down the wastehole that is a mortgage.

Also - paying cash means not having to wait to see if financing goes through and not having to meet any special requirements a bank may have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2017, 10:19 AM
 
9,650 posts, read 13,246,697 times
Reputation: 4264
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
something that happened 3 years after the fact was the inspector's fault? You don't think something could have happened to the gas line in that 3 years?

And who uses wood for interior walls? They're sheetrock. Or are you attempting to say they used the exterior sheathing OSB also for the roof decking?
The inspector should have caught the two serious problems.
1. The plywood used for the roof was not the proper thickness.
2. The natural gas water heater was hooked up using propane fittings and was leaking gas.

I assume they should have had some device that senses a gas leak.
He spent a good bit of time in the attic and the type boards used are marked on most of the ones seen in the attic. He did not notice or check to see the type boards used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2017, 10:45 AM
 
1,631 posts, read 661,913 times
Reputation: 6287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
Mortgages are very expensive. I paid cash for my last property - because I had it and it saved me tens of thousands of dollars poured down the wastehole that is a mortgage.

Also - paying cash means not having to wait to see if financing goes through and not having to meet any special requirements a bank may have.

We will be paying cash also for the same reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2017, 10:47 AM
 
25,077 posts, read 48,088,104 times
Reputation: 18204
^^^ I take it the work did not require a permit/inspection?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2018, 06:37 PM
 
9,650 posts, read 13,246,697 times
Reputation: 4264
Would only a seller's agent (no buyer's agent) get the entire 6% commission or just half of it? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2018, 08:07 PM
 
6,319 posts, read 6,932,937 times
Reputation: 10694
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Would only a seller's agent (no buyer's agent) get the entire 6% commission or just half of it? Thanks.
The commission would be determined by the terms of the listing agreement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top