Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 03:44 AM

1 posts, read 1,283 times

Advertisements

I closed escrow on my mobile home 1 year ago. I have never lived in a mobile home before and was totally blindsided when I got my first monthly bill, and every bill since. My lot rent is $675. But i have been charged as much as $500 twice, for electricity and water for 1 month! This sub-metering is unreal. I have an electric meter but it is not SMUDS. I moved here for economic living. I dont know where to turn or how to start. I really need some advice, please help me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 05:47 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRight1955 View Post
I really need some advice, please help me.
Who did you discuss all this with before going into the deal?
Wise old friend? Your attorney? Anyone who had owned inside a park?
Or just the sales people?

How much will it cost to move your rig?
Where could you move it that would cost less per month?

Old 08-27-2017, 06:41 AM

6 posts, read 28,672 times
That stinks. Not all mobile home parks are that expensive per month. There are a couple in my area that are only 100 or so per month and there are some that are 800 for the land lease per month ...depends on what the community has to offer. Try contacting your electric company and see if they will do an in-home check on why your electricity is so high.

Old 08-27-2017, 07:09 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,017,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRight1955 View Post
I closed escrow on my mobile home 1 year ago. I have never lived in a mobile home before and was totally blindsided when I got my first monthly bill, and every bill since. My lot rent is $675. But i have been charged as much as $500 twice, for electricity and water for 1 month! This sub-metering is unreal. I have an electric meter but it is not SMUDS. I moved here for economic living. I dont know where to turn or how to start. I really need some advice, please help me.
1: Talk to the park people, and try to negotiate better rent, etc.
2: Move your trailer to a cheaper park.
3: Sell it and rent an apartment. Parks will sometimes buy them and resell.
4: Abandon your trailer (simply walk away) and rent an apartment.
5: Hope for a lightning strike and it burning down (if it's insured).
6: Get married to a guy with lots of money, and let him pay for it all.

Old 08-27-2017, 08:44 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLORIDATAM View Post
That stinks. Not all mobile home parks are that expensive per month. There are a couple in my area that are only 100 or so per month and there are some that are 800 for the land lease per month ...depends on what the community has to offer. Try contacting your electric company and see if they will do an in-home check on why your electricity is so high.
I've never seen any for $100 per month in SW Florida. We even have a few nasty trailer parks with $350 lot rent a month. The only way you will pay $100 is maybe in HOA fees if you pay $30K for the lot first and usually HOA fees are more than that.

There's no reason the OP bills should be so high, they need to find out why, maybe you are being charged for someone else's usage or extra monthly for having the home connected which should not be if you rent the lot. Electric and water should be under $150 a month unless it's a huge house with a lot of people living in it. Ask your neighbors how much they pay and see if there is a community rep like an HOA type president that can find out what's going on.

Old 08-29-2017, 03:47 AM

66 posts, read 61,874 times
Sounds like he lives in Sacramento California. Lot rent is high there. Not the highest in California, but it looks like the average is $500 to $800 a month. Guess its cheaper than buying an acre of land and improving it for a mobile home though. The electricity may be high if there is an inefficient cooling/heating system. It might be time to replace it with a 14 seer unit and a 95% gas furnace. That is the best you can do in a mobile home. Should be less than $300 a month even in the worst month unless you have like a 7 seer unit from 1965. Take the amps of your ac unit and use this formula. Power=amps x 240 and that gets you the kilowatts your unit uses. Mine uses 4KW in my mobile home and runs maybe 10 minutes per hour. Multiply that 10 minutes by 24 hours and you get 240minutes or 4 hours. 4 hours x 4KW is 16 KW per day x 30 days=480 KW a month. If your electric rate is 30 cents a kilowatt that would be $144 a month. Mine is about 10 cents a kilowatt so I pay around $48 a month in this scenario.

Old 08-29-2017, 05:30 AM

3,829 posts, read 6,732,618 times
^
I wouldn't assume that. Lot rent can run that high here, in the middle of Michigan where the cost of living is low. Water is generally included and each house has their own meter for gas and electricity, but the lot rent itself can be in the $600-700 range. And that was as of a few years ago. That kind of money will be a newer (25 years or newer) park with all double wides and strict rules- often the siding has to go to the ground instead of vertical skirting, trailers have to be built after a certain year, etc....
You can get cheap lot rent in the old parks full of old single wides with tin roofs.

Old 08-31-2017, 01:03 PM

14,474 posts, read 20,652,743 times
Is your address xxx any road lot #x and inside the city limits?
How many other mobile homes in the park?
Have you gone door to door and asked others living there about their bills? If you decide to do this do not tell them your high bills. Just say you are wondering what their average is. Get several samples from a few in there and compare all of those to yours.

Go to City Hall to the utility office and explain it to them. They can look up the utility usage for the entire park and individual lots.
--------------------------------------
If you decide to sell yours then you may encounter buyers who want to know how high the electric bills run on average and may ask to see your bill.
Same if you move out and rent your mobile home. The rent may be so high that no one is interested.
I hope you find a solution soon.

Old 08-31-2017, 06:51 PM

7,453 posts, read 4,686,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msright1955 View Post
i closed escrow on my mobile home 1 year ago. I have never lived in a mobile home before and was totally blindsided when i got my first monthly bill, and every bill since. My lot rent is $675. But i have been charged as much as $500 twice, for electricity and water for 1 month! This sub-metering is unreal. I have an electric meter but it is not smuds. I moved here for economic living. I dont know where to turn or how to start. I really need some advice, please help me.
smuds?

Old 09-01-2017, 03:48 AM

66 posts, read 61,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
smuds?
Sacramento Municipal Utility District(SMUD) I am assuming?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate