Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2017, 08:33 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,732,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I don't know who sets those generation years, but according to the commonly accepted dates, one of our kids is genX, the other two millennials. That doesn't really make much sense.
Generally, researchers come up with the date ranges by grouping based on similar characteristics and behavior, and sometimes major events. Different researchers come up with different cut off dates, but they are usually within 5 years or so of each other.

Although I did read something the other day that had Millenials starting in 1977! Um, no. Most sources start Millenials between 1982 and 1984. Some will start it 1980. I've seen some early 80s years belong to both Gen-X and Millenials within the same source, and I've also seen a year completely omitted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 09:13 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,203,885 times
This "boomer" isn't downsizing. I'm upsizing (within reason). All those years, I had to live where I didn't want to live just for my job. Now I can live anywhere. And I'm home all day, every day. So I'm buying what I've always wanted, where I want to. So sick of these realtors asking "aren't you downsizing?" My answer: No. Why would I? I got the bucks. Why leave it to my lazy relatives? After all, when I'm dead, I'm dead. Period. End of my "experience."

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 09-04-2017 at 09:36 PM..

Old 09-05-2017, 03:24 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
Ranges vary with every source, but Baby Boomers are early/mid 40s-early 60s. Some sources cut at 1960, some as late as 1964.

So, the majority of Baby Boomers were buying their first homes in the 60s and 70s.

Houses didn't start growing until the 80s, coincidentally about the same time the first of the GenXers began entering the market.
I'm fifty and born in 1967, which makes me an older Gen-Xer. I bought my first house as a newlywed just out of college in 1990. Very few of my peers were purchasing houses at that time; I was extremely early to settle down. But more to the point, no Baby Boomer is in his early forties. The youngest of Baby Boomers is 53 this year. My mother, who was born in 1944, is a just barely a BB, and she is in her seventies. As an aside, she and my father sold their big house in the suburbs in 1997. They've owned a couple of very small homes since then and now live in a 900 sq ft rental in a southern retirement village. My plan as a Gen-Xer is to downsize from our relatively modest 1800 sq ft suburban home in seven years, or about the time my youngest is finishing college. And no, I won't change my mind. Aging in place has never been my life plan.

Old 09-05-2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I'm fifty and born in 1967, which makes me an older Gen-Xer. I bought my first house as a newlywed just out of college in 1990. Very few of my peers were purchasing houses at that time; I was extremely early to settle down. But more to the point, no Baby Boomer is in his early forties. The youngest of Baby Boomers is 53 this year. My mother, who was born in 1944, is a just barely a BB, and she is in her seventies. As an aside, she and my father sold their big house in the suburbs in 1997. They've owned a couple of very small homes since then and now live in a 900 sq ft rental in a southern retirement village. My plan as a Gen-Xer is to downsize from our relatively modest 1800 sq ft suburban home in seven years, or about the time my youngest is finishing college. And no, I won't change my mind. Aging in place has never been my life plan.
This is the THIRD time I've clarified this post. I meant 1940s, not 40 years of age. The next sentence referred to the the cutoff as 1960 and 1964, where the first sentence just had '60s'. Admittedly I should have been more clear, but the meaning is inferable.

Old 09-05-2017, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
This is the THIRD time I've clarified this post. I meant 1940s, not 40 years of age. The next sentence referred to the the cutoff as 1960 and 1964, where the first sentence just had '60s'. Admittedly I should have been more clear, but the meaning is inferable.
I was typing while others were posting. Had I seen their submissions, I would have refrained from commenting. Sorry to have bothered you.

Old 09-05-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I was typing while others were posting. Had I seen their submissions, I would have refrained from commenting. Sorry to have bothered you.
Sorry. Didn't mean to get snippy. People keep trying to make me sound like an idiot; like I can't do math. (You went as far as to bold it to make sure I knew I was an idiot.) I admit- I should have been more clear. It was clear in my head, but I was thinking about decades and ages never even crossed my mind. I was quoting someone talking about decades. I guess I assumed everyone knew what I was talking about.

So, anyway, the repeated "you are an idiot that can't do math" has worn on me. Now, if you said I was an idiot who couldn't construct a clear sentence, I would have to agree that my sentence was poor, lol. You do get points as being the only person that acknowledged my clarification, so thank you for that.

Old 09-06-2017, 10:25 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,298,430 times
My parents are boomers. When they retired they did downsize into their final "age in place" home...they went from 6500 sq ft to 4200 sq ft.

Downsizing is all relative.

My current home is about 3000 sq ft and could easily lose 500 sq ft and I'd be happy. HOWEVER, I'd actually like to keep my 3000 sq ft but just change the floorplan - Ditch the formal living room and have 5 bedrooms instead of 4. Add a 3rd full bath in the attic space adjacent to the guest room so that can be an en suite. Ditch the formal dining area and have a media room. The only addition I'd do is bumping out the family room by about 6 feet to make it a 19'x20' space for entertaining purposes. That would add ~115 sq ft. A complete waste of money to do an addition that only adds 115 sq ft, which is why we haven't done it.

All of those things are on our "dream home" list should we decide to age in place. We'll slowly make those changes as we near retirement so that by the time we retire we'll have the perfect house.

Oh, and an inground pool, too.

Old 09-06-2017, 11:11 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post

My boomer parents live in 800sqft.

The McMansions were catered to GenX, but a few GenXers don't like them.
I'm a Gen Xer and I hate McMansions. My parents' house is bigger than ours is by a good 500 square feet.

Old 09-06-2017, 11:22 AM

A McMansion is not just a big house. It's a particular type of mass-produced house thrown by builders using weird combinations of architectural elements, usually on a disproportionately small lot, and aimed at upper middle class buyers. People usually associate them with exurban living. In any case, a suburban home is not necessarily a McMansion just because it's large.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:17 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,115,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
This "boomer" isn't downsizing. I'm upsizing (within reason).
LOL in the last month I've heard the same thing from a few different people. I never would have guessed, but maybe upsizing is more common than I would have guessed for retirees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate