Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Granite Countertops losing favor in your market. If "Yes," what do you see replacing
Yes, I see them losing favor. 44 23.16%
No, granite is still hugely popular. 103 54.21%
Quartz 64 33.68%
Cultured Marble 11 5.79%
Tile 0 0%
Wood 2 1.05%
Concrete 6 3.16%
Stainless Steel 7 3.68%
Recycled materials 8 4.21%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 09:56 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times

Advertisements

I didn't answer the poll, I have no idea what's in favor or not around here (I'm in the OP's market). I have granite in my house here and had quartz in NY. I honestly see no difference between the two. I don't care for the granite color here in this house all that much. It's not terrible but not what I would pick (It's browns). We had Silestone in our NY house and I see the pattern we had there all over the place. Quartz patterns can be very limiting....some of them do look very fake. But quartz doesn't need to be sealed (although I haven't had issues with my granite here in this house).
Other materials all seems to have various issues (soapstone, marble, etc) so while I like the look of some of them I wouldn't actually use them. Tile is an absolute no go, I would never be able to keep on top of cleaning the grout.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2017, 09:57 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
LOLOL. Mike you've got a coach!
Yeah.
So do the Philadelphia Phillies. See how that is working out for them?

LOL

Old 09-02-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
I agree that this is just an informal poll. That's why it should be simple and clear rather than convoluted with conflicting instructions and yes/no questions with bizarre logic leaving people unable to proceed properly. Sometimes people can take the simplest things and make a complicated mess out of it. I wonder sometimes what the more complicated tasks look like!
This is more fun than pay toilets in the diarrhea ward!

Old 09-02-2017, 10:38 AM

6,356 posts, read 7,764,876 times
This has been an interesting read. Thank you all for contributing.

I recently retired and purchased a spec house in a retirement community that has granite countertops throughout the house. It's the first home I've ever owned with granite and from reading this thread, it appears to require some degree of maintenance. If someone would be so kind, could you point me to a resource on granite maintenance? Since it is 'off topic', a reply via DM is fine. Thank you.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Last edited by volosong; 09-02-2017 at 11:40 AM.. Reason: grammer

Old 09-02-2017, 11:05 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,129,053 times
If you don't want fake, then go back to wood countertops.

Old 09-02-2017, 11:20 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,983,290 times
Quartz is nice but until the cost comes down I don't see it cutting into granite significantly.

Old 09-02-2017, 11:24 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
How are granite, marble, and soapstone fake? They are stone.

Old 09-02-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
How are granite, marble, and soapstone fake? They are stone.
There is a lot of fake wood out there.
And, not all wood is recommended for countertops.

But, I am seeing some wood re-emerging here and there.
It seems that every generation needs to embrace the mistake of doing a full kitchen up in wood countertops.
Meh. I dodged that bullet.

Old 09-02-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
This has been an interesting read. Thank you all for contributing.

I recently retired and purchased a spec house in a retirement community that has granite countertops throughout the house. It's the first home I've ever owned a home with granite and from reading this thread, it appears to require some degree of maintenance. If someone would be so kind, could you point me to a resource on granite maintenance? Since it is 'off topic', a reply via DM is fine. Thank you.
Easy-Peasy. And, pretty much on topic, IMO.
Go to Lowe's or Home Depot, etc, and in the tile flooring section, or the kitchen department, ask about granite sealer. You can get enough sealant to do the average kitchen multiple times for about $15.
Once a year, clear the counters, wash thoroughly and wipe dry.
Follow the instructions on the sealer, which may be a spray bottle, or just a pour bottle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug3-VpyVla8

I can seal my countertops in about 15 minutes, once I have them cleared and clean.

You want to let the stuff cure. I.e., it has a volatile solvent that needs to release from the sealant.
Ideally, 36--48 hours.
And, it smells.

I generally do it as soon as I drop Mrs. at the airport for a couple of days business travel.

Old 09-02-2017, 12:04 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
When we did our first step of the kitchen remodel, the countertop was the hardest choice for me to make. My contractor was on a timeline and needed me to choose, and threatened to hog tie me to the top of his truck and haul me down to his laminate fabricator.

So hubby and I went. And I literally....and I mean literally....walked into the showroom and found my countertop. Zoned right in on it and was done.

Now, we have eclectic kitschy taste...and our countertop is a gorgeous medium cool gray, with pale yellow, pale turquoise and pale pink boomerangs. Very fifties. A few steps back and it reads gray. I love my countertop. We spent a few hours looking at all the laminate choices. If I still had a basement and a bar in my basement, there was a nifty Italian cream laminate with olives and martinis all over it.

And, if you have a design in mind, it can be recreated in laminates. Saw some great tabletops emblazoned with cool logos for boardroom in some books.

We grew up with Formica, and we're used to hot pan issues, the cutting issues...all the "downsides"... so it's not an issue.

That being said...I know we are weird. We're very happy with laminate...others aren't.

My issue with granite is the ubiquitousness of it...and that's created a proliferation of cheap installers. Granite badly done looks terrible, just like anything. You shouldn't be able to see seams. I've seen people use thin granite tiles...with large grout lines. And crooked tile edging. What's up with that? No, not a DIY job, either.

Because I am an odd duck stylistically, I can't make judgements on others. I find tasteful decor quite ordinary. And for me, dull. Put a surprise somewhere! But people stay safe. To me, that's the biggest thing that HGTV has wrought upon us...safety in neutrals....bleh.

Which sounds judgey, but seriously, if you like it, it's fine with me. But don't ask my opinion...'cause I'll give it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate