Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 09:55 AM

130,290 posts, read 12,105,905 times

Advertisements

It might take a long time to sell, but if you have no payments on it, why worry? How much is the property tax?

Do you really want to move back there & live in it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 09:56 AM

74 posts, read 82,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Rent a floor sander for a day and do one section of the wood flooring. Sand it down, put some cheap finish on it, and see what happens. Smell still there? You're in for big work. Smell gone? Refinishing is fairly cheap.

The roof and lack of water supply are IMHO bigger issues to deal with. Is there really no water source on the property at all?

But perhaps an even bigger question: is it an area you want to live in? I see your handle says Moses Lake, WA. Believe it or not I once drove through that area. I can't imagine a place more different than upstate NY.

I could try the sanding test, but previous owners said the urine and spray had soaked into the wood. Some areas are carpeted.

Roof: may not need a whole new one, haven't had anyone look yet, but they did have some leaks in one area with rain.

Water: there is public water available, but once the well wasn't theirs to use anymore, they never started an account. So yes, I can have it hooked up.

Diana

Old 09-04-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Sell it. Whatever anyone tells you it will cost to fix all the problems you can double it. Take the money and run.
Hmmmm ... I'm sure that could very well be. NOT good if it is.

Diana

Old 09-04-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Sell.

You do not have the money to get the house turned. Having a well drilled can run into tens of thousands depending how deep they need to drill. Not to mention fixing the interior from the cats can run thousands.

Sell and move on.

You're right, I don't have the money to turn it.

Water CAN come from the public water supply.

The inside I agree with, I can't stand walking into the house, I can hardly breath. That's how strong he smell is.

Diana

Old 09-04-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Take a deep breath and relax...............then invest a few hundred dollars and find a very competent and licensed home inspector to go through the house and give you a punch list of what he feels the true condition of the house is.

There could be lots of scenarios for you if you do not want a up to date home with all the bells and whistles if the house is salvageable.

This is also a great information to have before you approach a realtor. Good luck

Haaaa!!! If I take a deep breath when I'm IN the house, I'll pass out! LOL!!

Good idea on the home inspection, poor guy will have to wear a gas mask! 😉

I don't care if it has bells and whistles, but I DO need a clean house without odor. I'm highly affected by many things that I inhale.

I'll keep this in mind, thank you.

Diana

-----------

Old 09-04-2017, 10:11 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times
There are people who will buy old wood structures. Search them out where the house is located. Get what you can. Sell the land thru a major national realty company.
Try to get it done before the next tax payment is due.

Old 09-04-2017, 10:13 AM

-----

Forgot to add: Im in Washington State, but Upstate NY is where I moved from 3 years ago.

I'm considering either moving back to NY State or flying there to do whatever it is I've decided to do.

Diana

Old 09-04-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
There are people who will buy old wood structures. Search them out where the house is located. Get what you can. Sell the land thru a major national realty company.
Try to get it done before the next tax payment is due.
Never thought of that ... are you saying sell the house separately for the wood, and then the land separately after the buyer of the house comes and takes it down?

Taxes: $1200

Old 09-04-2017, 10:22 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,190,478 times
Just hooking up to municipal water will probably be a minimum of 15,000, that's low balled. My sister home 20 years ago was about that, home had well for 15 years before they bought it. Sewer, if it has its own septic system it's probably bad that's at least 20,000.

Old 09-04-2017, 10:25 AM

Default Photos

Here's a few photos ....
Attached Thumbnails
Inherited OLD house ... what would you do?-img_0460.jpg   Inherited OLD house ... what would you do?-img_0461.jpg   Inherited OLD house ... what would you do?-img_0459.jpg   Inherited OLD house ... what would you do?-img_0458.jpg   Inherited OLD house ... what would you do?-resized_20170904_121443.jpg  

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate