Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2017, 03:22 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,476,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Do you think the ABA makes laws? Hardly.
I think they are more qualified to speak on the topic than anyone on this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 03:42 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,114,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
I think they are more qualified to speak on the topic than anyone on this forum.
Did you read their conclusion?

Quote:
Conclusion
No bright-line rule defines fixtures. Most states generally consider fixtures to be things capable of existing sepa-rate and apart from the realty but that are annexed to the realty for a specific use related to the realty and that are intended to be a part of the realty. The facts of each case make a big difference. For that reason, a good understanding of the basic rules is imperative when drafting documents dealing with both real and personal property. Recognizing the facts that will make the difference in each situation aids the practitioner immensely when trying to protect the client’s interests.

Old 09-08-2017, 03:57 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,476,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Did you read their conclusion?
My point to emm74 is that I didn't throw together some haphazard list of guidelines from bloggers. These are from some pretty legit sources that are well-referenced.

And I've already admitted in previous posts that there seems to be a lot of gray area with this. But there are certain "rules" as the ABA put it that are generally followed.

Generally, I could sum up this entire thread like this.

Other posters: "You don't have a case, you don't have a case, you don't have a case! For sure, you don't have a case".

Me: "Well, how are you so sure. This is what these numerous legal and professional RE sources say about this topic."

Other posters: "Oh, well, I'm not a lawyer. But you may or may not, but probably, don't have a case. Too much gray area to tell."

Umm, so which is it?

Old 09-08-2017, 04:06 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
My point to emm74 is that I didn't throw together some haphazard list of guidelines from bloggers. These are from some pretty legit sources that are well-referenced.

And I've already admitted in previous posts that there seems to be a lot of gray area with this. But there are certain "rules" as the ABA put it that are generally followed.
I never said you did. But they are still guidelines with varying interpretations, not a statement of law. And in any case, as I already said before, it's not even a question of law, it's a question of fact. From what you said before, it sounds like you may have gone to law school, in which case you should know that that meant. You might feel it's clear that the dresser is a fixture, but a finder of fact could disagree with you because the fact that screws or whatever were used is not dispositive of that.

But of course this is a general discussion and I'm not giving legal advice. But I am a lawyer.

Old 09-08-2017, 04:39 PM

1,078 posts, read 938,265 times
Can't rep your stuff enough either, yet again, Emm

Not to mention that one need not be an attorney to understand and participate in the drafting or signing of legal documents. In fact there are very few areas of the law where one cannot represent themselves and advocate on their own behalf regarding statutes and regs. Being a lawyer doesn't actually impart magical levels of understanding that a well educated adult couldn't garner on their own.

It does give experience in conveying an argument to a judicial body or to withstand legal scrutiny. But again, that isn't an exclusive domain of lawyers where no one else may tread, at least in my states. The ad hominem credential silliness is quite worthless given that legal understanding and personal experience does not require a law license, only practicing on behalf of someone else and selling that service, or use of the legal title on letterhead and advertising.

As an aside, of course I have a lot of respect for lawyers and they have their uses, but I don't know a single one who would claim some sort of special knowledge that an intelligent, careful layperson couldn't gain from study of the pertinent documents and cases, too.

Old 09-08-2017, 04:58 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,994,146 times
People like the OP crack me up. They come here asking for advice and when they don't like the advice, they get argumentative because it is obvious they don't like the answers they are receiving.

Considering the OP themselves said, "On the other hand, we also didn't feel like these were expensive items to become worried about.", why would they even bother lawyering up to get these things. Patch the screw holes and move on.

Old 09-08-2017, 04:59 PM

902 posts, read 863,208 times
Quote:
Sorry, I didn't want to post something that would give too much away where I live with a simple Google image back search.

For context, you're looking at the entry way into the living room, which is to the right. There is no coat closet or storage nearby, as there typically is at an entry way, so that was the only available storage there. Therefore, I thought it was purposed for that.
Lefty,

If you took a picture right now that doesn't exist on the internets, how in the world are we going to find you?

Contrary to your stated belief(we are "converging" on you), we aren't ALL Illuminati.

Just some of us.

https://www.illuminatiofficial.org/i...ols-and-marks/

Old 09-08-2017, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfires View Post
Lefty,

If you took a picture right now that doesn't exist on the internets, how in the world are we going to find you?

Contrary to your stated belief(we are "converging" on you), we aren't ALL Illuminati.

Just some of us.

https://www.illuminatiofficial.org/i...ols-and-marks/

I obviously have a difference of opinion with the OP but I still can understand how he or she cannot take a photo of an item that was removed from their home prior to them moving in.

Old 09-08-2017, 05:20 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,687,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I obviously have a difference of opinion with the OP but I still can understand how he or she cannot take a photo of an item that was removed from their home prior to them moving in.
And.. just to clarify- a listing picture would likely pop up on google image search as a "match" to a trulia/zillow, etc picture- thus leading to a self-doxing & probably complaints about someone spending $xxx on a home & grumbling about a cat tree & a dresser.

Old 09-08-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
And.. just to clarify- a listing picture would likely pop up on google image search as a "match" to a trulia/zillow, etc picture- thus leading to a self-doxing & probably complaints about someone spending $xxx on a home & grumbling about a cat tree & a dresser.
yes, I think we all understand how google image search works and why the OP didn't want to just post the full listing photos which would easily be traced back to their actual home and identity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate