Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 12:49 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,588,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
All sales are cooperative because without 2 willing parties their isn't a sale. The agent serves as a middle man to mediate the sale. They are hired by the buyer or seller for assistance with a complicated transaction. You say it lacks clarity? So you want to clarify the cooperative MLS model. Tell me, and you've dodged this question on countless posts, what clarification is lacking in the real estate model?

BTW, kudos on managing to hi-jack another thread into a commission debate even if you didn't explicitly use the "c" word.

My post on this thread was not about commission nor did I comment about the clarity of the model on this thread (I said I was clarifying a point - big difference) so i have no idea what you are talking about. Maybe you're trying to lure me into a hijack of this thread to discuss my comments made on other threads. I have no idea.

It's the second totally unprompted baiting post to me today so it seems like you're trying to become the master of baiting rather than focusing on representing your business and your industry with professionalism on a public forum.

Frankly I think you and a couple of others here do a big disservice to those like Bill, Diana, Marksmu, etc who represent the industry professionally and competently on this forum. Believe me, it feels like you guys are in completely different leagues in terms of communication skills and clear use and understanding of language, professionalism, attention to detail, ability to engage with the public, and overall competence. That's at least my perception as a consumer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 01:03 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,983,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
My post on this thread was not about commission nor did I comment about the clarity of the model on this thread (I said I was clarifying a point - big difference) so i have no idea what you are talking about. Maybe you're trying to lure me into a hijack of this thread to discuss my comments made on other threads. I have no idea.

It's the second totally unprompted baiting post to me today so it seems like you're trying to become the master of baiting rather than focusing on representing your business and your industry with professionalism on a public forum.

Frankly I think you and a couple of others here do a big disservice to those like Bill, Diana, Marksmu, etc who represent the industry professionally and competently on this forum. Believe me, it feels like you guys are in completely different leagues in terms of communication skills and clear use and understanding of language, professionalism, attention to detail, ability to engage with the public, and overall competence. That's at least my perception as a consumer.
You're sort of right. I regret not just letting your backhanded dig at agents on this thread and the other one just pass as it was a rather small dig compared to most of your copy and paste information. I respect your change of strategy to try and win people over by attempting to garner sympathy by playing the victim. You're even trying to win over some of the other posters and agents by complimenting them now. Very sly and probably will work on some. However, I don't really care about your feelings and when you post incorrect information I'll probably continue to point it out.

You also again avoided providing an answer to my question - "What clarity is lacking in your opinion?"

Old 09-12-2017, 01:12 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,818,373 times
In the last year and a half, we have sold 3 properties using 4 agents. Out of those agents, one was absolutely stellar! She contacted my dad after the listing on his vacation home had expired. The agent who HAD been the listing agent was pretty useless overall. At one point she forwarded feedback saying that the house smelled "stale" so she said she'd go in and put baking soda in dishes throughout the house. This was in August in North Carolina. I got in the car and drove the 4 hours to the house to check on it because it had NEVER smelled stale before. Turns out the A/C wasn't on. She had been in the house to put out the baking soda, but she couldn't call and tell us the A/C wasn't on and to ask if we wanted her to turn it on. We also asked her to contact the agents who had shown the house to find out what might be keeping it from selling. No feedback from her. Those were just a couple of issues we had with her.

So this new agent contacted my dad. My dad has dementia, so I am the one who handles all of his transactions involving the sale of his homes. This agent had shown the house several times and really liked the house (a plus right there!). She and I sat down and went over what her suggestions were and we followed them to a T. She met with all of the contractors for us and forwarded their estimates. She had us send the checks for the contractors to her and she held them until the work was completed to her satisfaction. When the first buyer walked during due diligence, she immediately contacted everyone else who had shown interest and had us another (reasonable) offer within 3 days. Yes, she ended up being the listing and selling agent. But I never felt like she was underhanded at all and I am glad she got both sides of commission. She worked very, very hard for us and deserved every penny.

Last edited by goldenlove; 09-12-2017 at 01:39 PM..

Old 09-12-2017, 04:16 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,233,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
No, I didn't... but I'll explain below.

Most often around here, Open houses are hosted by other, newer agents in the office, NOT the listing agent. Since you called them "junior" agents, I will also. The listing agent will help coordinate with the sellers and help advertise it, because it helps sell the house, but the junior agent hosts it. That's how it's (most often) done in these parts. Advertised open houses are usually hosted by a new agent who is seeking buyer clients, not the listing agent.

This is not just to pawn off work. There's a reason. If I, as listing agent tour the buyer around the property and they actually want to buy it, which we always hope (!) I would be a dual agent if I wrote it up. I represent the seller. The junior agent does not. The junior agent will represent any buyers that come from the open house.

The ONLY reason I have attended such open houses of my own listings is we usually list farms, which can be more complex in terms of outbuildings, property, and systems, and we are there, sometimes the owners are there too, just to answer specific questions about the property, while the other agent tours it with the buyers.

Hoping this makes it clearer as to my experience here in WA. Customs very in different parts of the country... I can't speak for other places.
Does the seller know that this is your intent, when you ask them to clean their house and clear out for the day?

It certainly isn't my intention when I'm listing my house.

Old 09-12-2017, 04:31 PM

14,476 posts, read 12,107,650 times
I would assume that you would be cleaning because potential buyers will be coming through in an open house that we will be advertising as widely as we can.

The open house will be hosted by other agents from our office so that I am not (because I am your agent) put in the position of representing any buyers who may come!

Which part of that do you object to?

Old 09-12-2017, 06:16 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,737,232 times
A story. A friend of mine had his house listed with and agent that said 6% commission if she listed it but was not the selling agent. 4% if she was both. She had an open house scheduled but she could not make it so she called my friend and said we can reschedule so I can be there or I can have "an other person" from my office cover it. He said someone from your office would be fine.

Bottom line is the eventual buyer came to the open house and signed in. My friend assumed the 4%. Wrongo. It was 3% for the listing agent and 3% for the agent at the open house.

Opinions?

Old 09-12-2017, 06:20 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
A story. A friend of mine had his house listed with and agent that said 6% commission if she listed it but was not the selling agent. 4% if she was both. She had an open house scheduled but she could not make it so she called my friend and said we can reschedule so I can be there or I can have "an other person" from my office cover it. He said someone from your office would be fine.

Bottom line is the eventual buyer came to the open house and signed in. My friend assumed the 4%. Wrongo. It was 3% for the listing agent and 3% for the agent at the open house.

Opinions?
Mistake:
Allowing dual agency.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:52 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
Quote:

Opinions?
hopefully he was satisfied that his house sold.

Unless she spelled out that if ANY agent from her company sold the home it would be 4%, then it's so cut and dried - isn't it?

Old 09-13-2017, 12:23 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,983,290 times
Quote:

Opinions?
She was not the selling agent. 6%. BTW, your friend was the 1 out of 1000 that sells at an open house. Crazy bad odds of it even selling at that open house that was filled by another agent, but it sold!

Old 09-13-2017, 07:50 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,737,232 times
So the bottom line of several agents posting it sold so no big deal. Well it meant $10K to my friend and he is still pi$$ed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate