Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 12:07 PM

1,166 posts, read 875,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bygeorge View Post
You will mind when a realtor tells you that THAT house down the street takes many thousands off your home sale IF it can sell at all. I feel a responsibility to my neighbors for the condition of my place. I am a believer in HOAs that work. Thankfully mine does for now anyway.

I could give a rip less what anyone does inside their house unless they are making meth or abusing children.
Again, no plans of selling my home, so no worries about property values being lowered. Again, don't know why people make such a big deal about neighbors unsightly property. If you don't like it, don't look at it. As long as they're not breaking the law or hurting anyone else, who the hell really cares? I've got MUCH bigger concerns in life than worrying about what my neighbors are doing, what their property looks like, etc. I don't have the luxury of that much free time on my hands to sit around and worry about that stupid stuff. I have a life of my own.

This is also why I prefer to live outside city limits, less nosy neighbors and busybodies to stick their nose where it doesn't belong. I'm not saying I don't maintain my property or have a yard full of junk, I'm saying I want the freedom to do as I please on my own property, regardless if my neighbors like it or not. Freedom is more important to me than money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2017, 12:25 PM

1,539 posts, read 2,303,186 times
I make it a point to know all of my neighbors; always have since my kids were born. Mainly because I have young kids who are out riding their bikes, playing ect so my neighborhood has an unofficial "neighborhood watch". Many of them are very good friends, some I just wave to, and others are like the OP by just minding their own business. Whatever, to each his own. But most of my neighbors are fantastic people; we help each other, have cookouts, ect. Do I care if someone has a junky yard? Nope. But we DO look out for the safety and well-being of eachother. That's what good neighbors do.

Old 09-17-2017, 01:55 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,638,166 times
I'm a very much live and let live person... as long as the property doesn't pose firetrap status or breeding ground for vermin or magnet for illegal activity... it really is not something I get worked up about.

We did have some foreclosed property in the neighborhood and I and others would voluntarily mow the lawns and rake leaves... in the spirit of being neighborly...

Old 09-17-2017, 06:13 PM

757 posts, read 837,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
Again, no plans of selling my home, so no worries about property values being lowered. Again, don't know why people make such a big deal about neighbors unsightly property. If you don't like it, don't look at it. As long as they're not breaking the law or hurting anyone else, who the hell really cares? I've got MUCH bigger concerns in life than worrying about what my neighbors are doing, what their property looks like, etc. I don't have the luxury of that much free time on my hands to sit around and worry about that stupid stuff. I have a life of my own.

This is also why I prefer to live outside city limits, less nosy neighbors and busybodies to stick their nose where it doesn't belong. I'm not saying I don't maintain my property or have a yard full of junk, I'm saying I want the freedom to do as I please on my own property, regardless if my neighbors like it or not. Freedom is more important to me than money.
Then we can both be glad that we are not neighbors.

Old 09-17-2017, 10:38 PM

1,235 posts, read 731,503 times
The kind of neighbor that expects you to respect my boundaries. Don't infringe on me, cause I don't do it to you.

The kind of neighbor who comes and goes and chit chats with other neighbors if I see them.

The kind of neighbor that won't be pushed around regarding "dog droppings on my property" and cars in my driveway w/o my permission.

The kind of neighbor that expects you to keep your out door activities (music) at a minimum to considerate of other neighbors (me).

The kind of neighbor who will lend a hand where I can.

Old 09-17-2017, 11:20 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,182,547 times
I've lived in my neighborhood a long time, but know relatively few people. I get along fine with the next door neighbors on each side of me. There are some others that I occasionaly chat with when I see them. Some people I don't know or want to know, like the trashy neighbors a few houses down who have loud cursing arguments outside several times a week, or the crackhead-looking woman and her sketchy boyfriend who live further up the street.

Old 09-17-2017, 11:59 PM

7,020 posts, read 4,885,827 times
When I move, I'm going to be the kind of neighbor that puts a 10ft fence up around the entire property. No one is going to see me and I won't be seeing them.

I had problem neighbors on both sides last time, one whose dogs ran into my yard and ruined my swimming pool, one who drove across my yard because he had a "right to do it", and one who fought with me over the land behind my house (I knew it wasn't mine and it also wasn't his, even though he thought it was both). Then the neighbor to the right began to fight with the neighbor to the left over the barking dogs and the neighbor to his left also got involved with the neighbor to the right and somehow they all managed to blame me for something. Next time they aren't even gonna know my name and I'm not answering the doorbell.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:11 AM

6,553 posts, read 8,380,268 times
Quote:
Again, no plans of selling my home, so no worries about property values being lowered. Again, don't know why people make such a big deal about neighbors unsightly property.
And some of us do plan to sell our homes at some point, so property value is important to us. And frankly, if homes start selling for significantly less, riffraff moves in and I don't want to live among riffraff. This is not a difficult concept to grasp.

Quote:
I've got MUCH bigger concerns in life than worrying about what my neighbors are doing, what their property looks like, etc. I don't have the luxury of that much free time on my hands to sit around and worry about that stupid stuff. I have a life of my own.
You asked a forum of people what type of neighbors we are. Some are like you, and some are the opposite. You are overly defensive toward those with opposing views. It's interesting how you attempt to insult us by stating that we don't have a life or we don't have bigger concerns simply because we care about the quality of our neighborhoods. You're over exaggerating to the extreme.

Quote:
This is also why I prefer to live outside city limits, less nosy neighbors and busybodies to stick their nose where it doesn't belong.
It sounds as if you live in a rural area that doesn't really have designated neighborhoods. I have family that live in rural areas. They just plant trees along the property line to hide the trashy neighbors from view, and that works for them.

But even some designated neighborhoods outside of town/city limits have standards.

Quote:
Freedom is more important to me than money.
Oftentimes, it takes money to truly be free.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:23 AM

21,880 posts, read 12,930,704 times
CouldN'T agree with you more -- on ALL counts -- HokieFan!

Old 09-18-2017, 09:30 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,044,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
And some of us do plan to sell our homes at some point, so property value is important to us. And frankly, if homes start selling for significantly less, riffraff moves in and I don't want to live among riffraff. This is not a difficult concept to grasp.

You asked a forum of people what type of neighbors we are. Some are like you, and some are the opposite. You are overly defensive toward those with opposing views. It's interesting how you attempt to insult us by stating that we don't have a life or we don't have bigger concerns simply because we care about the quality of our neighborhoods. You're over exaggerating to the extreme.

It sounds as if you live in a rural area that doesn't really have designated neighborhoods. I have family that live in rural areas. They just plant trees along the property line to hide the trashy neighbors from view, and that works for them.

But even some designated neighborhoods outside of town/city limits have standards.

Oftentimes, it takes money to truly be free.
This...
Some people take pride in their home and take pride in the "look" of their neighborhood. Seems as though people who aren't on that level get really defensive and claim they have "better things to worry about" or "I don't care because I don't plan on selling" or the best one yet, "If you don't like it, you don't have to look at it"...lol Yeah...right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate