Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 06:37 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times

Advertisements

Wire transfer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 08:24 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
Wire transfers for almost every transaction I've been in in the last three years. Granted, wire transfer fraud is becoming an issue, but with common-sense precautions, it's pretty much the norm.

Certainly don't have to wait for the deed to be recorded around here. Otherwise, that would eliminate a lot of the back-to-back closings we have -- i.e., client sells house at 11 am, closes on new house at 1 pm. We sometimes have to wait a bit at the end of a closing for the bank to fund, but it's almost always pretty smooth. The closing attorney's office wires the funds to the seller immediately after closing. Some banks close their wire departments at 4 pm, so if the closing is late in the afternoon, the money is wired the next day. It's usually the seller's choice, between receiving a check or a wire, but almost all opt for a wire -- safer, and access to funds faster.
This is pretty amazing, and obviously I stand corrected. I do wonder what safeguards there are in place in GA for funding.

We record quickly here - electronically in most cases now. We've rarely had issues with back-back closings, unless they were late in the day for recording and the wires, as you mentioned.

Today they wire the money around. In the "good old days", Attorney 1 would just leave the check for Attorney 2 at the courthouse.

Old 09-20-2017, 02:42 PM

4,578 posts, read 5,661,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
We record quickly here - electronically in most cases now. We've rarely had issues with back-back closings, unless they were late in the day for recording and the wires, as you mentioned.
You're right, the money is getting wired every-which-way. :-) Thus, the opportunity for wire fraud, which is a big issue for this area right now.

When we check our county deed records electronically, we can often see "property settlement date", followed by "recording date" -- the two can sometimes be as much as 10 days apart. Not sure about the electronic filing -- I should ask my favorite closing attorney about that.

It's been my experience that most lenders DO transfer the funds electronically. Again, not exactly sure how that mechanism works, but in most cases, the papers are signed, notarized, and sent electronically back to the bank's funding department, who reviews it, makes sure that everything has been executed correctly, and then releases the funds. We usually end up waiting 10 minutes or so to get the ok that the funds have been released, the seller ends up with the funds in their bank same day, or next morning, depending on the time of the closing. If it's a back-to-back closing, the closing attorney will sometimes wire the funds to the closing attorney handling the next transaction (if it's not them.)

Haven't seen a cashier's check in years . . . :-)

Old 09-29-2017, 04:12 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,795,742 times
Can I request a suitcase of cash instead of check or wire? I'd like it to rain money and roll around in my Benjamins. Stacking paper, yo!

Old 10-03-2017, 05:54 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Wire transfer. We were out of state, so needed the funds to be available.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:41 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,134,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
How long do banks hold massive deposits of several hundred thousands before they're cleared for withdrawal?
wired funds are immediately available. deposit a cashier's check from the title company and you bank may put a hold on it for up to a week.

Old 10-03-2017, 08:23 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Proceeds were held in escrow until the sale was recorded at the registry of deeds. I think we closed at 11AM, and this was done around 2PM. Realtor brought me a certified check, and I was off to the bank after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate