Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 06:36 AM

7,413 posts, read 4,635,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I just had a wealthy individual stop by yesterday because he saw my house while driving to a friend's place. I was at the gate but blocked it with myself. He got out of his car and told me he and his wife loves the house He tried to get in 3 times while I standing there. Apparently they really love the house and asked what I was planning to do with it. I should of said it's for sale but didn't feel it was proper etiquette. Nobody died/murdered in the house, it's not unique, and I am not famous. I bought the house within an hour of it being listed on Mother's Day. So the listing didn't last long. The area has top rated schools and is a highly desired area. The house definitely has an appeal from the curb and everyone that comes over and people that service the property are ga-ga when they see it, some even ask for a tour (sometimes while working inside the house, they wander around). We stop having friends over at that house because they often give themselves self-guided tours and proceed to open every door and cabinet. My realtor that helped me buy the house drops a text every now and then asking to see the house. I never had that experience before with my other houses. The strangers I encounter are a dozen or so a year but then I don't actually live in that house, I am just there every now and then. My wife and I treasure our privacy but it seems like we are drawing a lot of attention with this house.
It sounds like really having a nice curb appeal. I'm curious what it looks like. I hope you don't mind sharing a pic maybe something I can replicate on my next purchase. No pressure. Congats on the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2017, 07:22 AM

2,741 posts, read 2,995,378 times
Quote:
I have a house that apparently is very popular in the community. I had to put gates and fences because strangers would drive into the driveway to look at the house. Many drive very slowly in the roadway to peek at the house. Some even bold enough to knock on the door and asked to look around! Since then we've encountered people who keep asking our plans for the house. The vast majority would not be able to afford the house. I thought about listing but I am only interested in serious buyers. How do I keep snoopy people away?
You might have a gold mine, even though you really don't seem to want to sell it. IF you list it for sale, set the price HIGH. I would say at least 1/2 again as much as it's highest appraisal, (get it privately appraised before listing) and see what happens.

That will really judge the true interest and value of the property. Perhaps you'll get lucky, perhaps you won't sell at all. Either way I can't see how you could lose, since you don't have to sell.

Old 09-17-2017, 09:02 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,039,841 times
Quote:
Is there anything stronger than a prequal letter? Should I ask for that instead?
Yes. Ask the internet the difference between a prequalification and a preapproval. Prequalification = no skin in the game.

And asking for proof of funds is only relevant for a cash buyer. A preapproval by a lender means loan application, credit report, proof of income, assets and liabilities and proof of funds for down payment--even the bank expects one to show they can cover down and closing.........

Old 09-17-2017, 10:04 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,583,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
You might have a gold mine, even though you really don't seem to want to sell it. IF you list it for sale, set the price HIGH. I would say at least 1/2 again as much as it's highest appraisal, (get it privately appraised before listing) and see what happens.

That will really judge the true interest and value of the property. Perhaps you'll get lucky, perhaps you won't sell at all. Either way I can't see how you could lose, since you don't have to sell.
The OP's biggest problem with this house is that everyone seems to be obsessed with it. I mean, he said that he can't even invite friends to it any longer. Yesterday he had a "wealthy individual" try to charge past him 3 times to get at the house. Having it sit on the market in a casual, long, drawn out, wait and see kind of thing would only create more ongoing "unwanted" attention, more chatter among the serfs, more buzz, more curiosity, and a higher profile. Attaching a very high price to it would only feed into this - "OMG - it's on the market for $15m...I really need to get past those gates now". As in my previous post, I wonder whether this attention might be desired to some degree but on face value, your suggestion would not seem to be a well suited solution to the OP's "problem".

Old 09-17-2017, 11:30 AM

2,741 posts, read 2,995,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
The OP's biggest problem with this house is that everyone seems to be obsessed with it. I mean, he said that he can't even invite friends to it any longer. Yesterday he had a "wealthy individual" try to charge past him 3 times to get at the house. Having it sit on the market in a casual, long, drawn out, wait and see kind of thing would only create more ongoing "unwanted" attention, more chatter among the serfs, more buzz, more curiosity, and a higher profile. Attaching a very high price to it would only feed into this - "OMG - it's on the market for $15m...I really need to get past those gates now". As in my previous post, I wonder whether this attention might be desired to some degree but on face value, your suggestion would not seem to be a well suited solution to the OP's "problem".

Having people obsessed with your house can be a good situation to be in. There's no need to leave it on the market for very long at all. One of the obsessed people either buys it straight off for a cash deal, or he can take it off the market in one month. Either way, I think it's a great idea to judge TRUE interest in the house.

Put up, or shut up deal.

Houses in my area you couldn't give away last year for far less than worth due to one of the big companies being bought out 100% by one of the 50% owners and doing a large RIF. So, a lot of uncertainty. THIS year everything is mostly selling very high in less than 1 week, for CASH deals!

Old 09-17-2017, 12:20 PM

15,633 posts, read 26,197,111 times
Quote:
I just had a wealthy individual stop by yesterday because he saw my house while driving to a friend's place. I was at the gate but blocked it with myself. He got out of his car and told me he and his wife loves the house He tried to get in 3 times while I standing there. Apparently they really love the house and asked what I was planning to do with it. I should of said it's for sale but didn't feel it was proper etiquette. Nobody died/murdered in the house, it's not unique, and I am not famous. I bought the house within an hour of it being listed on Mother's Day. So the listing didn't last long. The area has top rated schools and is a highly desired area. The house definitely has an appeal from the curb and everyone that comes over and people that service the property are ga-ga when they see it, some even ask for a tour (sometimes while working inside the house, they wander around). We stop having friends over at that house because they often give themselves self-guided tours and proceed to open every door and cabinet. My realtor that helped me buy the house drops a text every now and then asking to see the house. I never had that experience before with my other houses. The strangers I encounter are a dozen or so a year but then I don't actually live in that house, I am just there every now and then. My wife and I treasure our privacy but it seems like we are drawing a lot of attention with this house.
I think selling this house will be a misery for you. You sound like you're dreading it already. Since you know it will sell fast, my suggestion is to purchase your new place and move. Then stage the bejeebers out of this place and sell for the highest dollar.

Old 09-17-2017, 02:21 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,707,909 times
You either list it or you don't! If you're picky you'll never sell or it will take FOREVER! I do agree if you limit showings to prequalified people only you might weed out people just looking!

Old 09-17-2017, 04:58 PM

7 posts, read 5,712 times
"You either list it or you don't! If you're picky you'll never sell or it will take FOREVER!"

I disagree and have sold 4 homes in a less than a strong sellers market, without any online or other MLS listings.
Why? we wanted privacy . Anyone can see what you paid and how much you will walk away with, with an easy search online. Even with non MLS I had LOTS of scammers after our hard earned funds for a long time.

All properties we sold went for full price (based on local recent comps) in a short period of time.
I had my agent there at open homes and he sold three of them himself= less commission and less back and forth.

Sell it privately to someone who will treat it like you do. Homes have a habit of getting in our souls and being tough to part with. Even though we need the funds.

Old 09-17-2017, 08:09 PM

10,870 posts, read 7,310,045 times
Quote:
I just had a wealthy individual stop by yesterday because he saw my house while driving to a friend's place. I was at the gate but blocked it with myself. He got out of his car and told me he and his wife loves the house He tried to get in 3 times while I standing there. Apparently they really love the house and asked what I was planning to do with it. I should of said it's for sale but didn't feel it was proper etiquette.

you want to sell the house, but won't tell the rich guy it's for sale?

What is wrong with you?

Old 09-18-2017, 02:28 AM

1,208 posts, read 1,419,030 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate