Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Crawl space or slab
Crawl space 42 56.00%
Slab 33 44.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 11:37 AM

628 posts, read 818,122 times

Advertisements

While in theory, the crawl space sounds better, it's really not. You have your HVAC, ducts, and plumbing in a humid moist environment which attracts pests, bugs and is not really suitable for storage. So basically there is extra maintenance for little benefit. I've heard crawls are better for doing remodels, but if you can get newer or new home, and have a choice, choose the Slab. Some homebuilders have even done away with crawl spaces altogether and will only do Slab or Basement foundations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 12:46 PM

4,211 posts, read 6,898,754 times
ignoring ground condition and location (soil type, etc.) and only choosing from the options here, I'd go crawl space every day. I do not like slab construction and find many benefits in a crawl space with a pier and beam foundation. More specifically, a ranch on a pier and beam foundation.

Access to inspection for plumbing and electrical modifications or repairs as needed, a better feeling floor bounce, a more comfortable floor from a temperature standpoint. I also just think it looks better unless you have an uber modern home. The benefits of a slab are limited, outside of the fact it is often faster and cheaper for the foundation guy.

Old 02-08-2019, 12:53 PM

199 posts, read 158,342 times
Is this what we have or what we prefer? I voted what I have. What I would *prefer* is a basement, which wasn't in the poll.

Old 02-08-2019, 12:56 PM

199 posts, read 158,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrishawke View Post
While in theory, the crawl space sounds better, it's really not. You have your HVAC, ducts, and plumbing in a humid moist environment which attracts pests, bugs and is not really suitable for storage. So basically there is extra maintenance for little benefit. I've heard crawls are better for doing remodels, but if you can get newer or new home, and have a choice, choose the Slab. Some homebuilders have even done away with crawl spaces altogether and will only do Slab or Basement foundations.
Interestingly enough, what I've found with slabs is that if the insects don't have room to live *under* your house, they come inside. Houses where I've had a crawlspace, I see way fewer bugs in the house. On a slab, we had to use perimeter spray several times a year to keep the spiders out.

I would never use a crawlspace for storage - or anything, for that matter. That's what contractors are for!

Old 02-08-2019, 01:08 PM

4,211 posts, read 6,898,754 times
Yes, other than keeping an eye out for wood-destroying insects and minimizing conditions for attracting them, I really don't care if spiders and bugs live in the crawl space. As long as they are outside the conditioned envelope of the space, it doesn't bother me. Especially when buying existing homes, I wouldn't even consider a home on a slab unless it met all of my other requirements. You have the ability to truly inspect the plumbing and electrical and the ability to make changes or upgrade as needed without expensive trenching etc.

Old 02-08-2019, 01:36 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,129,954 times
I am sure someone has said this but I didn't read the entire thread yet, but NO there is not a foundation under the basement the basement is the foundation in cases with a basement and that is what I would have voted for.
If basement is not possible then crawl space, though vastly inferior, and never a slab.

Old 02-08-2019, 01:48 PM

213 posts, read 157,217 times
Basement, all day. I feel sorry for those that live in areas where basements aren't possible. A dry basement with nice 7ft+ clearance is awesome. Easy to run wires/plumbing, can inspect important structural elements for damage, nice semi-conditioned area for water heater, furnace and duct work, and an awesome place for storage and/or things like gym equipment and workbenches.

Crawlspaces give you some of these features, but the major downside is that in most cases, it's not easy/fun to perform inspections. That's how people end up with rotten joists, insect damage, and mold due to conditions that should've been caught before they became a big issue.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:40 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,579,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrishawke View Post

I've used my crawl space for storage and never had a problem. I have no problems with insects or rodents down there either. I'll take a crawl space over a slab any day.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:27 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,792,575 times
Basements do have footings in most cases, pretty much resembling the footing which crawl space foundations sit on. If the water table is low enough, theoretically you would not need a slab floor in the basement, an earthen floor would suffice.

Old 02-14-2019, 12:26 PM

6,373 posts, read 5,482,840 times
Personally...I prefer crawl-space...for a variety of reasons; most of which have already been discussed here.

That being said.....if a home has everything else you want but is on a slab.....would it be a dealbreaker? For me....probably not (but it would have to have EVERYTHING else I wanted and after looking for a long time)

In some parts of the country....slab is all they have!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate