Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 10:40 AM

7,234 posts, read 4,542,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
If it's still active and you want to buy it , why not make an offer?
I am lazy. I am not going to get pre approved get an agent and make an offer only to find out it isn't open to investors or is actually priced more than what the listing says.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2017, 10:56 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,587,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
"this house is perfect for" or "picture-perfect" are just acceptable puffery/marketing-speak. I certainly agree "this house is in perfect condition" lays you open to interpretation ... much as "brand new" items that are more than 90 days old
It did not say "this house is in perfect condition" nor did it say something like "Perfect for those who love to entertain...". It said something like "This house is just perfect!!!" or "PERFECT is the best word to describe this house." which leaves the statement open to different interpretations, including a perfectly reasonable interpretation that it's a reference to the home's condition. Even if not taken 100% literally, it could easily be interpreted as "nothing is wrong with it" or "this home has no problems" or "this home is in excellent condition". Remember, many buyer's are young and inexperienced....and agents are always at risk for misrepresentation claims should problems be identified later.

Anyway, regardless of how common this might be or someone's view that this is acceptable puffery, my view is that it's potentially misleading for the buyer and risky for the agent...and completely unnecessary. If the writer meant something like "perfect for the entertainer" or "yard is perfect for relaxing", etc. then that should be said. I was just using this as an example of sloppy and careless writing that could come back to bite and which is easily avoided with just an ounce of care.

Old 09-17-2017, 10:58 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
I am lazy. I am not going to get pre approved get an agent and make an offer only to find out it isn't open to investors or is actually priced more than what the listing says.
The language used about investors and offer deadlines sounds like foreclosure property language. It's probably a bank owned property. If it's been on the market a long time, it's probably open to anyone, any previous preference for owner-occupants has passed.

Old 09-17-2017, 10:59 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,018,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Develop it and sell it, hellob - a listing writer tool. Problem is, most people can spot fluffy scriptbot-generated words and phrases when they see them.

Trouble is, there's a lot of sides to being a realtor, and some of us are better at some aspects than others. I like talking to people, and my hubby is the contract guy, so we make a good team with each handling our side of those tasks. We both can take and edit pictures well, so we have that covered. Both of us sometimes struggle with Property descriptions because we aren't really great at writing fluff. For good or ill, our descriptions often sound more like specs than sales promotions.
I prefer specs vs sales. I don't need to read the promo stuff, just tell me how new the systems and roof is, etc. in fact, if a listing doesn't mention the age of things, I assume that they are near death, lol.
I think software would be helpful but you'd have to tweak it to be more personal. It'd be a good outline for those who are not great writers.

Old 09-17-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
Call the listing agent and ask what the current status is.

Old 09-17-2017, 11:01 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
I prefer specs vs sales. I don't need to read the promo stuff, just tell me how new the systems and roof is, etc. in fact, if a listing doesn't mention the age of things, I assume that they are near death, lol.
I think software would be helpful but you'd have to tweak it to be more personal. It'd be a good outline for those who are not great writers.
Like me? I need an editor. I probably shouldn't have used "Trouble is" and "Problem is" in the same post. I need more coffee

Old 09-17-2017, 11:13 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
I think it's rare for an agent to list out the age of everything . Roof , HVAC etc .

Although it makes sense they would want to mention if something is relatively new like a roof etc .

Old 09-17-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I think it's rare for an agent to list out the age of everything . Roof , HVAC etc .

Although it makes sense they would want to mention if something is relatively new like a roof etc .
True, but if nothing is mentioned I assume that there's nothing worth mentioning and mentally adjust the price.

Old 09-17-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Like me? I need an editor. I probably shouldn't have used "Trouble is" and "Problem is" in the same post. I need more coffee
I'm sure you're fine!

Old 09-17-2017, 01:24 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,230,252 times
"This house is perfect"...could mean it's move-in ready, or its in a great location, or perfectly sized for a young family or a first-time buyer. "Perfect" is in the eye of the beholder.

"Ready to make your own" = needs cosmetic work.

Of course there are some agents who write terribly, but they are also marketing something. All marketing has some fluff. IMO if you can't handle that then you aren't ready to be in the marketplace.

To me, a bad listing is bad photos (not just outdated but blurry photos, photos of messiness, photos of corners...anything you might see on the Terrible Real Estate Photographs Facebook page), and underselling a property.

In buying my current place, my second choice was a place I almost didn't look at. It was described as a two-bedroom with a combo living/dining/kitchen. I preferred to have a dining room over a second bedroom, but the price and location were good so I went and looked at it. My agent and I were both astounded...in fact it had a separate dining room. I don't know what else the agent could have thought that room was. In reality it was a huge place, bigger than I actually needed. I think it could have sold for more if it had been properly marketed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate