Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 09:03 PM

56 posts, read 117,535 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Are the trees in the pic too close to the house?

I am worried about trees falling on the house during a storm. Is there any risk about that?

House near trees-20170917_165625.jpg
House near trees-tempfileforshare_20170917-205353.jpg

Last edited by Seattler123; 09-17-2017 at 09:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2017, 09:12 PM

6,478 posts, read 10,350,022 times
Of course with the right storm, those trees could possible hit the home. Then again, nobody can realistically predict what "might" happen for certain. I would be more concerned if the trees were leaning toward the home which they do not appear to be doing so from the photo that was posted.

Do you own the home or is it a property you are considering purchasing ? Is the adjacent property currently occupied by another home ?

Old 09-17-2017, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Of course with the right storm, those trees could possible hit the home. Then again, nobody can realistically predict what "might" happen for certain. I would be more concerned if the trees were leaning toward the home which they do not appear to be doing so from the photo that was posted.

Do you own the home or is it a property you are considering purchasing ? Is the adjacent property currently occupied by another home ?
Considering purchasing. It is a new construction and the areas with the trees occupied by existing home.

Old 09-17-2017, 09:28 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
I answered in your other thread too, copying here just to be part of both conversations.

They're definitely close enough to hit it. Trees fall over in every winter wind storm.

Are they your trees? I'm thinking from the fence that they are not. That may be a problem.

What makes a great deal of difference is what kind they are.... cedars break less often than many others!

How healthy and well rooted they are.... is the soil saturated in winter or relatively well draining?

Is the root ball compromised by that wall that cut off the roots on your side? What's beyond? More trees that will provide protection to yours or are those trees the only tall thing around?

Finally, which direction are the prevailing winds in your area during storms.... South and west often, but that can vary in Seattle, depending on local terrain and that convergence zone.

The most dangerous places are new developments with trees that are exposed to wind for the first time.

Speaking as a WA native, you've hit on a fear I also have. I lived for years in a place surrounded by big firs that would take my house to the ground if they fell. We rode out the Hanukkah Eve storm in '06 in our truck, watching from a safe distance with my husband and our dogs because I was afraid of those trees. I admit to being a little touchy about them. I love our big trees, but that winter scared me good. When we bought our current home, the first thing I did was take out all the trees that could reach the house. I miss having shade in summer, but I do sleep better in winter. And I have a better view now.

Old 09-17-2017, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
The most dangerous places are new developments with trees that are exposed to wind for the first time.
Thats pretty much true in this case. Before the new construction, the entire subdivision of 50+ houses was trees earlier (just a few months back).
Being a first time buyer and someone who's only lived in apartments surrounded by more concrete before (moved to US only as an adult), not sure what to expect from trees.

Old 09-17-2017, 09:54 PM

You can always have an arborist out to look at them. Particularly the way the roots were cut to regrade your lot and make that wall. Get a judgment about the their health from a pro.

What is off screen left, beyond the trees? Is it a tight clump of trees or just this line there?

Big trees are stronger in numbers. You don't usually see just one go down out of a group. They break the wind for each other, and the root balls are intertwined.

FWIW, with those trees there, you're going to want to clean the gutters on that side a few times a year, and those gutters are going to be WAY up there. You're going to need a tall ladder.

Old 09-17-2017, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
What is off screen left, beyond the trees? Is it a tight clump of trees or just this line there?
There's a patch of trees. Attached another photo.

Old 09-17-2017, 10:05 PM

Wow... that wall is even higher in the back yard! Huh... Not sure how I'd feel about that.

The thing I wouldn't like is you don't control the trees. If they were yours, fine... you can control your own risk. But these belong to the neighbor, who I bet wants to keep them, now that those houses are right there.

Old 09-17-2017, 10:12 PM

91 posts, read 71,738 times
I wouldn't buy that house. Those trees are concerning to me and I don't like the grade difference btw them and the house.

Old 09-18-2017, 03:08 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,588,488 times
Wow. That's a massive retaining wall between you and the white house - and very close to both. On the other side, the smaller retaining wall appears to have a very steep soil area between the wall and the fence. It doesn't look very stable to me and I guess there would need to be grass or some other planting up there to control erosion?

It's hard to tell but it looks like the area was 'terraced' to build the homes? Perhaps previously a steep hill?

I'm no expert on drainage, soil etc and I generally have confidence in modern building techniques and regulations but it looks a bit too 'wild' for my tastes. Particularly as it's all brand new. Kind of looks like a place where houses don't really belong.

Oh yes and also the trees which is what you were asking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate