Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 09:14 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,265,871 times

Advertisements

For me, I wasn't concerned about the moisture or lent. I've got AC return air and ducts into my closet. I also have a vent fan in my closet directly above the washer/dryer hook up (required by code b/c of the laundry hook up.)

I was concerned about leaking/broken pipes, so my closet has wood look tile and a floor drain in it just as my laundry room does. I do not however have a sink in my closet, and I do have one in my laundry room.

For me I wanted it b/c I do my own yard work, and we also have farm/ranch property that I frequent...My wife does not like when I do the dirty clothes from working in the yard or the ranch in our laundry room...the clothes frequently have grease, cow manure, etc on them, and she does not like that intermingled with hers or the kids clothes...

One day when I actually put a washer/dryer in there, she wont have to worry anymore...for the time being I just have to do small loads when I come back from doing the yard, working cattle, or hunting. Its not a big deal, but I do like the idea of having all my clothes right by the washer/dryer.

I'm the type who may or may not leave clothes in the dryer until I need them...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 09:37 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae Maes Garden View Post
Better in the closet vs the pass through between garage entry and kitchen. ........
Laundry room right at the back door makes sense if you are cleaning out the barn and come in covered in cow muck. You can strip and wash your clothes right there without traipsing through the house.

Other than that, I'd prefer to have my machines where the dirty laundry is generated. Just bought a house where the laundry room is between the garage and the kitchen, so apparently it is not a deal breaker. Separate room with a utility tub and lots of cupboards and space, so it is not quite as bad as machines in the hallway.

On the bright side, the utility tub right by the kitchen is a big plus for me because I can use it to wash roasting pans and cookie sheets that won't fit into the kitchen sink.

Old 10-05-2017, 09:39 AM

4,030 posts, read 2,714,316 times
Quote:
Better in the closet vs the pass through between garage entry and kitchen. No thank you! Why would one to be greeted with a pile of dirty laundry upon entering the house? Never understood that.

Mae
I actually have this setup in my current home, and I much prefer it. It's in a convenient location, and my sister and I are actually both the types to put dirty laundry in a clothes basket and take it down when ready to do a load, then once dry, take it back to our respective rooms and put it away.

Old 10-05-2017, 02:43 PM

9,414 posts, read 11,159,448 times
Laundry should be on ground floor. The fewer opportunities you have for water damage, the better.

Old 10-05-2017, 03:22 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,980,652 times
We had a semi-custom builder I represented that had a plan with that design. I thought it was weird but most of the buyers loved it. I like it myself now, but it was a novel idea at the time.

Old 10-05-2017, 06:03 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times
Quote:
Better in the closet vs the pass through between garage entry and kitchen. No thank you! Why would one to be greeted with a pile of dirty laundry upon entering the house? Never understood that.

Mae
We have a winter house with the entryway washer/dryer, but we don't leave dirty laundry there. It's no big deal. Our main house has its own laundry room, which I do like better.

Old 10-05-2017, 06:06 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Laundry should be on ground floor. The fewer opportunities you have for water damage, the better.
We had a second story laundry room in our last house and I installed steel braided hoses with an automatic shut-off feature. Never had a problem. You can also install a drain pan. Personally, I'd do both. But it sure was nice not having to carry laundry up and down the stairs.

Old 10-05-2017, 06:11 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
We had a second story laundry room in our last house and I installed steel braided hoses with an automatic shut-off feature. Never had a problem. You can also install a drain pan. Personally, I'd do both. But it sure was nice not having to carry laundry up and down the stairs.
that's what I have as well. The small risk of a leak is not worth carrying laundry up and down stairs on an almost daily basis. Plus I like my routine of throwing a load in at bedtime, putting it in the dryer while I shower and get dressed and then put it away before I ever come downstairs. It's nice to start the day having gotten that much accomplished!

Old 10-05-2017, 06:37 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
A laundry chute is marvelous for half of the "carrying."
Just marvelous.
More homes should have them.

Old 10-05-2017, 06:40 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
A laundry chute is marvelous for half of the "carrying."
Just marvelous.
More homes should have them.
when they come up with one that will transport my folded and hung up on hangers clothing upstairs, you can get back to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate