Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 11:55 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,005,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenane View Post
Wow. That sounds like an awful business practice. They sell someone a house without even knowing if the city will let them build. I think if I were in a business I'd want to see if I could get permits before I start selling to people.
Oh you'd be surprised at some of the things the people in charge of permitting pull. I know someone who spent almost a year trying to get the town to approve the design of their new home. the town did not like the fact that the exterior material was going to be "different" than what is typically found in the town so they (the permitting people) forced the homeowner to change the outside material or else they wouldn't approve the permit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 12:37 PM

17,429 posts, read 65,649,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenane View Post
Wow. That sounds like an awful business practice. They sell someone a house without even knowing if the city will let them build. I think if I were in a business I'd want to see if I could get permits before I start selling to people.
Your conception is...
Well, wrong.
KHov builds subdivisions; the planning, guidelines and covenents have already been approved.
There are any number of possibilities for their fiddle-farting around. Someone may have dropped the ball. They could have been waiting on mortgage approval. They may have been negotiating a construction loan. Whatever entity that issues the permits may have dropped the ball.
And the list goes on and on.

b.911us-
I do know the dilemmia about contracts. Here in Atlanta, I used the contract that is from the local home builder's association, and used by most builders. But the big builders insist on using their own (they like to put the hammer down on a buyer). I had a buyer who's agent insisted on using a G.A.R. (Georgia Association of Realtors) contract- she didn't like the HBA contract. I immediately stated, "No". I then offered the buyer a copy of the contract so they could compare the two anyway they so choosed.
They came back two days later and signed. In their own words, they stated that the differences were so small that they couldn't see it becoming a potential problem.
Over the years the only sticking point that comes up time after time is- Binding Arbitration. My answer has allows been the same- it's standard practice today.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:58 PM

5 posts, read 21,648 times
Shenane,

They had obtained their permits, but had to go and re-apply due to some changes in the code.. which means they start from point 0 again, new blue prints, etc....

As I stated earlier, read all clauses before you give your money!

Old 04-24-2008, 10:34 AM

260 posts, read 1,328,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisous911us View Post
Thank you all for the reply.
I was able to get some professional help, and finally the work has started on our new home. Just as a reference, there was no way out of contract just because of the permit issues ;(
Advice: Before you sign, seek a professional attorney's help and make sure to fully understand the clauses.

Thank you all.
These little contract items are the reason why I take out my trusty black pen and start marking through lines in the contract like it's going out of style when I have a buyer purchasing from a builder.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:22 AM

522 posts, read 1,674,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek ATX View Post
These little contract items are the reason why I take out my trusty black pen and start marking through lines in the contract like it's going out of style when I have a buyer purchasing from a builder.
And if you do so, you probably would not be buying a home from KHov. Generally, the buyer has to take their contract pretty much as is or go buy from someone else. KHov is very experienced and sucessful. Oh sure, there are purchasers that have had negative experiences. But, KHov has built all sorts of housing all over NJ for decades. If their methods didn't work, they wouldn't still be in business.

K'ledgeBldr is right on in his analysis of the potential delay.

For the record, no I don't work of KHov. But I do own a KHov-sponsored condo in NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate