Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 08:52 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,455,057 times

Advertisements

I tend to live in places with lots of old housing "historic" stock and rarely consider new/er construction (built in the last 15 years lets say) when I buy.

It seems to be a national trend to tear down older communities/subdivide farms and replace with new developments. And many appear to prefer this. As someone who has owned many an old home, I understand the challenges with upkeep, so I get why new houses are appealing to many.

Recently I have noted a movement among my 30-something friends toward finding older houses and restoring them. I applaud this as I really enjoy doing that myself, but I wonder if this a bigger trend. What is popular in your area? Are new construction homes more popular in your area? Or older houses? Is it a mix?

Last edited by emotiioo; 10-07-2017 at 09:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 12:16 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Older homes are much more appealing to home buyers now because they are in walkable neighborhoods and they are less expensive than new construction.

Old 10-07-2017, 01:48 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,732,440 times
In our area NEW construction is what everyone wants! We are about 35 miles South East of Chicago and even though there are some older homes here, most of the area is building and there are MANY new construction subdivisions going up. The existing homes are about 50+ years old and cost more to purchase then building new, plus you would still need to gut it so most are opting for building new.

Old 10-07-2017, 01:53 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,798,899 times
From the way they are building in my area, I would say what is more popular is whatever is most available. I ran into my realtor last week and he cried about the lack of inventory for his clients. So I would think old or new makes no difference.

Old 10-07-2017, 02:45 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
I think the knee jerk reaction would be to say "new construction" and I mean truly new, as in brand new entire subdivisions. But the truth is it's all popular right now. My neighborhood is 25 years old ("New" by a lot of peoples' standards) but there is some much older stock selling like hotcakes right now. The new construction is popular because for the most part it's close or easily accessible to RTP.

Old 10-07-2017, 07:29 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,798,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Older homes are much more appealing to home buyers now because they are in walkable neighborhoods and they are less expensive than new construction.
You seeing older homes going for much in West Salem right now?

Old 10-07-2017, 08:41 PM

83 posts, read 114,153 times
There is very little new construction available in my area of New England. 100+ year old homes are common and anything built in 1970 or later feels "newer".

Old 10-07-2017, 10:51 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,893,390 times
When you say your area do you mean city, or neighborhood? Citywise I would say new construction might have an edge, though there is a huge deficit of product available for the demand, neighborhood wise I would say it depends. In core neighborhoods like mine that are over 120 years old, vintage houses is what you get and what is highly in demand.

In most beach communities it is not at all uncommon to see new builds replacing a tear down cottage or even a 20 y.o. large house that is just not in style anymore. In inland areas where there is a little land still available folks like new construction.

Old 10-08-2017, 06:46 AM

4,944 posts, read 3,049,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
They are only initially less expensive.
In the long run, old homes are time and money pits.
I've put $50K into mine, and the wood floors still squeak.
They are akin to antique autos, nice to look at but you don't want to be driving them everyday.

Old 10-08-2017, 07:47 AM

43,279 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I think the knee jerk reaction would be to say "new construction" and I mean truly new, as in brand new entire subdivisions. But the truth is it's all popular right now. My neighborhood is 25 years old ("New" by a lot of peoples' standards) but there is some much older stock selling like hotcakes right now. The new construction is popular because for the most part it's close or easily accessible to RTP.
I am in Twingles' market. Here, "new" means new construction. "Newer" means less than 10 years old, before systems need to be considered for replacement.
After 10 years, descriptions are iffy.

Markets are always segmented by price and location.

Well-tended older homes sell very well here, often because of better locations, larger lots, and mature landscaping.

New construction is absolutely necessary to help fill the void in inventory.
Without new construction, we would be in a homeownership crisis, vs. the current significant pinch on buyers.

Below $500,000 is a difficult market for buyers.
Below $300,000 is extremely difficult, as there is no quality new construction of detached single family homes below $400,000 in popular locations.

$200,000?
Too much true junk, going to cash buyer investors. Very painful for young first time buyers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate