Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 11:22 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
So do the real estate agents still get 6% on these kind of properties?
Compensation details are not widely disclosed in the “celebrity price” category but negotiations commonly involve all kinds of “non-monetary” exchanges — folks on sides of such deals really hate paying higher taxes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2017, 11:27 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigW View Post
Someone once told me, wealth isn't about how much you own, but about how much you can borrow.
I haven't heard that but I feel like a good definition is having enough money or assets to live off the income without having to work .

Amount needed will be different based on where they live and lifestyle .
Some are fine living relatively frugally in exchange for the freedom of not having to work .

Of course plenty of wealthy people still work even though they could of quit decades ago .

Zuckerberg is a good example but there are many examples even of people that aren't famous.

Old 10-14-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
I have heard it's usually less than 6 percent but the agents are often spending quite a bit to market these properties too.

Old 10-14-2017, 12:00 PM

33,321 posts, read 12,511,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Understood. But he could liquidate 50 or 100 Mil without anyone even noticing.
Beat me to it.

And, IIRC, Zuckerberg has sold at least a couple of billion in stock since the IPO, to diversify his portfolio.

Also, IIRC, more than 50% of Bill Gates' net worth is held in investments other than Microsoft (through Cascade, various trusts, etc).

Old 10-14-2017, 12:13 PM

Zuck recently announced he'll be selling shares. Going to fund philanthropic initiatives but kind of makes you wonder if it's all going to that.

I could definitely seem him wanting to diversify a bit even though he is founder and CEO.

He's only 33 and his net worth isn't too far off (relatively of course)..from Gates and Buffet who are much older than him of course.
Kind of crazy to think what he might be worth when he is their age.

These are the top 5 richest people in the world , Zuckerberg is the youngest by far, twenty years younger than Bezos even.
  • #1 Bill Gates. more.
  • #2 Warren Buffett. more.
  • #3 Jeff Bezos. more.
  • #4 Amancio Ortega. more.
  • #5 Mark Zuckerberg. more.

--
  • Mark Zuckerberg will sell a large number of Facebook shares over the next 18 months in sales that would be worth between $6 billion and $12.8 billion based on the stock's current price.
  • The intention to sell between 35 million and 75 million shares was disclosed in a securities filing late Friday.
  • Proceeds of the sale will go "to fund the philanthropic initiatives of Mr. Zuckerberg and his wife, Priscilla Chan," the filing said.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/22/mark...ok-shares.html

Old 10-14-2017, 12:31 PM

33,321 posts, read 12,511,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Zuck recently announced he'll be selling shares. Going to fund philanthropic initiatives but kind of makes you wonder if it's all going to that.

I could definitely seem him wanting to diversify a bit even though he is founder and CEO.

He's only 33 and his net worth isn't too far off (relatively of course)..from Gates and Buffet who are much older than him of course.
Kind of crazy to think what he might be worth when he is their age.

These are the top 5 richest people in the world , Zuckerberg is the youngest by far, twenty years younger than Bezos even.
  • #1 Bill Gates. more.
  • #2 Warren Buffett. more.
  • #3 Jeff Bezos. more.
  • #4 Amancio Ortega. more.
  • #5 Mark Zuckerberg. more.

--
  • Mark Zuckerberg will sell a large number of Facebook shares over the next 18 months in sales that would be worth between $6 billion and $12.8 billion based on the stock's current price.
  • The intention to sell between 35 million and 75 million shares was disclosed in a securities filing late Friday.
  • Proceeds of the sale will go "to fund the philanthropic initiatives of Mr. Zuckerberg and his wife, Priscilla Chan," the filing said.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/22/mark...ok-shares.html
Re Gates, I probably should have mentioned his foundation. In my previous post, I was referring to Gates' personal holdings, which don't include the 28 billion plus he's given to his foundation, nor the assets of the foundation. IIRC, when Warren Buffett dies, almost all of his holdings will go to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.

Old 10-14-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Re Gates, I probably should have mentioned his foundation. In my previous post, I was referring to Gates' personal holdings, which don't include the 28 billion plus he's given to his foundation, nor the assets of the foundation. IIRC, when Warren Buffett dies, almost all of his holdings will go to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
Yeah I have heard of the pledge some billionaires have taken to donate like 99% of their wealth to charity rather than to their heirs.

Sam Walton definitely didn't do that his heirs are worth over $30 billion each, which is his choice of course and of course his heirs donate on their own too.

The Waltons are worth $140 billion combined , the richest family in America. Pretty amazing.

Walmart Family Fortune: Waltons Net Worth Rises $5 Billion | Money

Old 10-14-2017, 01:51 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California_Aspirer View Post
We see the mega wealthy buy up property which are worth multi-millions, sometimes $40+ million dollars. How does it work? Do those people pay for the property outright? I would find it odd if they got a mortgage if their net worth is well over $100 million for e.g.
They buy it the same way that we do. Sometimes cash, sometimes credit

No magical formula

Old 10-14-2017, 01:54 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times
Quote:

That's their business, not ours

Old 10-14-2017, 02:03 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Often they will take out a mortgage for it, because the cash is more valuable placed in investments. They often will use a third party for the purchase and ownership of the property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate