Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 06:14 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,587,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
When you have a high net worth, you have access to financing that the “less wealthy” do not have. Since their net worth usually eclipses the loan amount, they are considered very low risk, so this is reflected in the interest rate they pay.

I don’t claim to have anywhere near the wealth of the people we are talking about in this thread, but I am financing a large life insurance policy at 2% because it makes a lot more sense than paying the large premium with money that would be earning a historical average of 6%.

In other words, I can have my product, while still earning an extra 4% on the money that would have been used to pay for the product.

Zuckerberg is the perfect example. Why would he tie up $100M in a property when he can take out a loan at 1% while that $100M could be earning a lot more money, minus the 1%?
Yes, of course.

If you're worth $150m it doesn't means that you have $30m in cash or even liquid assets laying around. And even if you did, you might not want to tie it up in a house. Most wealthy people got their wealth by leveraging capital so they are more naturally oriented toward financing large purchases. And this is one of the reasons that wealthy people often quickly lose everything when their luck turns - they have a large amount of debt that is not unhealthy in good times but quickly can become unmanageable when fortunes waver. It's nonsense to think that people pay cash for homes just because their total worth exceeds the cost of the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2017, 06:23 AM

18,464 posts, read 15,242,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
Yes, of course.

If you're worth $150m it doesn't means that you have $30m in cash or even liquid assets laying around. And even if you did, you might not want to tie it up in a house. Most wealthy people got their wealth by leveraging capital so they are more naturally oriented toward financing large purchases. And this is one of the reasons that wealthy people often quickly lose everything when their luck turns - they have a large amount of debt that is not unhealthy in good times but quickly can become unmanageable when fortunes waver. It's nonsense to think that people pay cash for homes just because their total worth exceeds the cost of the house.
True. But these people you are talking about, are over leveraged. You will not get these very low interest rates if you are over leveraged.

My very low interest rate is based on a letter of credit that is under 10% of my net worth, so the creditors (in this case, bond holders), know their investment is safe under even the worst conditions.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:28 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,449,955 times
How can Zuckerberg qualify for a loan when he only makes $1 a year at his job ?

Why Zuck only makes $1 a year - Business Insider

Old 10-14-2017, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
How can Zuckerberg qualify for a loan when he only makes $1 a year at his job ?

Why Zuck only makes $1 a year - Business Insider
Umm, because his net worth is somewhere around $70B?

I can’t read the article because I don’t turn off my ad blockers. But income is not the only way to qualify for a loan.

Old 10-14-2017, 07:41 AM

5,298 posts, read 6,176,126 times
Quote:

I can’t read the article because I don’t turn off my ad blockers. But income is not the only way to qualify for a loan.

That $70 billion is theoretical wealth. If the Zuck tried to cash out of his entire Facebook stock holding, the price would collapse to zero.

Banks are eager to write mortgages for trophy properties. With so few manufacturing industries left (which banks traditionally lent to), M&A and real estate (property development) are banks' real bread and butter.

Old 10-14-2017, 07:42 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,449,955 times
Quote:

Yeah I know was just joking

Old 10-14-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
That $70 billion is theoretical wealth. If the Zuck tried to cash out of his entire Facebook stock holding, the price would collapse to zero.

Understood. But he could liquidate 50 or 100 Mil without anyone even noticing.

Old 10-14-2017, 08:19 AM

577 posts, read 663,009 times
Someone once told me, wealth isn't about how much you own, but about how much you can borrow.

Old 10-14-2017, 10:47 AM

11,049 posts, read 6,637,979 times
So do the real estate agents still get 6% on these kind of properties?

Old 10-14-2017, 11:14 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,898,571 times
If you have $20 million, $30 million or $40 million, you wouldn't have to ask.

Since you don't have $20 million, $30 million or $40 million, the answer wouldn't help you.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate