Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 06:31 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,306,322 times

Advertisements

You could hang a banner on trees high enough to cause him trouble. Maybe you could ask him to help you hang it. Then ask him to keep an eye out.
Spray paint your trees with lot numbers.
Offer him a commission if he finds you a seller.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 07:09 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,453,751 times
OP, this is not uncommon.

I inherited a parcel of land years ago that I had to sell. The neighbor did not want anyone on it. Nor did he want to pay a fair price. He did everything he could to sabotage the sale. I was not local which made it even more difficult. I had a good realtor but the police were called a few times.

It backfired on him in the end. Another neighbor bought it mostly out of spite, and erected a building blocking his view

Old 10-24-2017, 07:29 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,573,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
dig a deep wide pit, fill it with concrete, stick the sign post in. Let's see them haul that without a truck or dozer.

You might need to invest in bigger, less portable sign. a mini billboard.
He could just cut the sign off at the ground level. Unless it's metal...but I suppose even then he could. That would be more extreme, though. He might not go to that level.

Old 10-24-2017, 07:34 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,573,266 times
Since you're not willing to even mention the signs to him, there's nothing you can do about it. You are at a disadvantage, since you live an hour away, and he's right there. Unless you can talk him out of his mindset, there's nothing you can do.

You have to rely on advertising and meeting prospective purchasers out there. And have a supply of signs so that you can place them out there every time you go.

When people buy rural acreage, I would think that one of the traits of such people is that they are anti-social, to begin with. So I don't see much luck, since he's anti-social and not honorable. Don't mention that to prospective buyers, of course, since they won't want to live near such a person.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:49 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,689,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
OP, this is not uncommon.

I inherited a parcel of land years ago that I had to sell. The neighbor did not want anyone on it. Nor did he want to pay a fair price. He did everything he could to sabotage the sale. I was not local which made it even more difficult. I had a good realtor but the police were called a few times.

It backfired on him in the end. Another neighbor bought it mostly out of spite, and erected a building blocking his view
That sounds like the neighbor next to the lot we bought in WA. He had done all kinds of things to sabotage the sale of it. The owner was local but his wife had a terminal illness, so he was preoccupied with other things. He continued the nasty behavior after we built, too. Fortunately for the entire block, he later moved away.

The things I found out he had done, not only to us but to others...wow. Town turns a blind eye to acts that would not be allowed to slide in other places.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:31 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,773,425 times
Useless to deal with someone who believes that they own other people's property.

If you are serious about selling, list it with a local realtor. If you'd like to sell, but don't want to pay a realtor, list the land on a website like Zillow or the like, for sale by owner.

There's no way you're gonna keep a sign up there, since you don't live there to guard it.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:43 AM

47 posts, read 65,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
You could hang a banner on trees high enough to cause him trouble. Maybe you could ask him to help you hang it. Then ask him to keep an eye out.
Spray paint your trees with lot numbers.
Offer him a commission if he finds you a seller.
No trees that tall. This is desert mountain foothills land.

Love your commission idea... seriously considering that one!

Old 10-24-2017, 09:50 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,150,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxphun View Post
No trees that tall. This is desert mountain foothills land.

Love your commission idea... seriously considering that one!
In many states it's illegal to pay a commission to anyone who is not Licensed.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:55 AM

47 posts, read 65,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Since you're not willing to even mention the signs to him, there's nothing you can do about it. You are at a disadvantage, since you live an hour away, and he's right there. Unless you can talk him out of his mindset, there's nothing you can do.
Thanks bpollen. It's not that I'm not willing to mention the signs, it was just that I was being cautious with my actions during that first and only time we met. I was still learning of the situation as I was meeting him.

Ultimately, if it happens again, I will mention the missing signs. It's how to mention them that I'm struggling with. I would feel much better about putting this in front of him if I had proof, of course.

I may let him know that I intend to make the other families that live in the area aware of the missing signs (although I'm sure they've noticed on their own). With the others knowing each other very well, and he being the new guy on the block, if he has any interest in being known as a good person, that may steer his behavior in a more caring and considerate direction.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:03 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,195,970 times
"It is a beautiful spot, and glad you've been able to build your dream home. I need to sell, and hopefully you'll get great neighbors - if you don't already know someone who'd like to build their dream home in this awesome spot! I did notice that all the real estate signs were stolen, so I'd appreciate it if you could keep your eye out for any hijinks. Would you please do that?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate