U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 07:43 AM

3,463 posts, read 1,634,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Of course I noticed it - this was my late aunt's house. I figured the fact that I now have a garage which I didn't have in my condo would counteract the lack of storage. So far I've had to get creative. I have a shower curtain liner with pockets, have hung up a cabinet in one bathroom, a 4 shelf bookcase thing in the other bathroom and have repurposed a small antique dresser into a place to put tablecloths, placemats, etc. I have discovered you must think outside of the box in an older home with little storage.
That's very true. My bathroom has no storage, so I stack my towels and washcloths and extra personal products on some built-in bookshelves in the adjacent bedroom. I also made a teeny space between the back of the tub enclosure and the air handler chute and put in two little shelves. This is covered by 1/2 of a folding door and I use it for air filters and extra TP. Like you said, creativity is key!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 07:47 AM

5,096 posts, read 3,620,011 times
Old homes with original wood and craftsmanship are gorgeous if the builder was good in the first place.

I'd be most concerned about old wiring, old plumbing and whether the insulation was any good.

Old 10-28-2017, 07:52 AM

9,769 posts, read 7,082,229 times
We have many house that are 100- 200 years old in my area and they do sell.
Old houses have their quirks like narrow steep stairs, small rooms, half basements if any, crooked walls doors and windows.
They are not for everyone and generally take longer to sell but if you like the antique house today chances are someone will appreciate it when it comes time to sell.

Old 10-28-2017, 07:54 AM

7,108 posts, read 2,880,368 times
Older homes need upgraded electrical, plumbing, insulation has to be installed as some older homes had none. Most older homes have choppy floor plans. Not the style most of us like which is open plan. I donít like a lot of useless walls. Most of us donít need formal dining rooms either. I donít know many people who would use it more than once a year. Old homes sometimes donít have a bathroom in the master either. Another adjustment youíll have to make.

Old 10-28-2017, 01:44 PM

2,946 posts, read 3,752,447 times
Default depends on where you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by deancare View Post
Is it a good idea to buy a 92 year old house now (no problems, passed inspection) and planning to sell in 30 years or later? Thanks in advance.
the desert? dry old houses can easilly be 100 years old. In fact, our place in El Monte, CA was built in 1934; ninety years is fast approaching....which explains the recent set of 5,000 to 9,000 US dollar bills for electrical, termite, and plumbing.

But it's never had a major reno and is now overdue for one.

On the other hand, on the coast up north a house can mulch itself into the ground in just a few decades if not maintained.

Old 10-29-2017, 06:27 AM

23 posts, read 9,688 times
I guess its worth buying a old house if you’re handy then...

Old 10-29-2017, 07:42 AM

3,463 posts, read 1,634,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deancare View Post
I guess its worth buying a old house if youíre handy then...
It's not necessary to be handy if you have decent workmen and professionals to count on. I've had pipes under my house replaced (because the previous owners had installed polybutylene ) and had other plumbing work done in the 15 years I've owned it, and I trust my plumbers implicitly. I also upgraded the electrical from 160 to 200 amps because I had a whole house generator installed. That was MY choice. Most of the things I've done to my house were not needed due to the house's age (90 years), but because I wanted them for my comfort, convenience, or aesthetics. My house is sturdy, has character, and is built with quality materials that are just not available any more, like old-growth Douglas fir and heart pine.

BTW, our first house when married was brand new. My husband completely finished off the basement with a separate laundry room, den, family room, and full bath. If HE hadn't been handy, it would have cost us big bucks to have all that work done. Oh, and we had to tear up the laundry room wall once because there turned out to be a waterfall that gushed out every time it rained due to an underground stream. We also had to get the roof replaced after only 5 years due to wear-out. So much for "new" construction. Hah!

I look at the fact that my 90 year old house is one of seven that were built for the same family in the 1920s-30s, and all are still standing, occupied, and look fine. That's a good real estate investment in my book.

Old 10-29-2017, 10:38 AM

25,786 posts, read 49,623,120 times
My 1922 homes (I bought several on the same block because I liked them) have been really problem free... nothing inherently bad.

The only builder issue was dirt was used under the walk up concrete front porch steps which provided a path for termites... other than that very well built and have stood the test of time well...

The detached garages not as problem free but I became an expert in raising the perimeter foundation... one guy decided to demo his and start over and was in shock when the city said no... non-conforming under today's codes... cost him big time to have a home with no garage.

The mild climate free from frost and humidity has helped immensely too...

There are some great Do it Yourself books out there... my Bible was a Readers Digest book I picked up for a buck... and a companion Ortho book on Home Improvement.

Old 10-29-2017, 12:38 PM

245 posts, read 149,551 times
For our second home, I'll still want an older home but it either needs to have been redone (need to see evidence of new drywall and no old wallpaper or plaster at all) or cheap enough that we can gut it, pull wire, insulate, and hang drywall back up without feeling cheated. Our current home is 100 years old (not old at all for our area) and only about a third has updated electrical. The first floor isn't insulated AT ALL. Thank goodness for insulating curtains and multiple exterior rooms/entries/porches as a sort of insulating buffer. The windows are ALL new but that's not much help when the walls are freezing to the touch. (However, this is common so it's not a deal breaker in general.) It's a great house but it needs basic updating and the flow improved. A full gut and improved flow in currently-unused space will not only make the current space feel bigger but add another 500 sq.ft. of living space as well.

Old 10-29-2017, 05:54 PM

915 posts, read 399,786 times
I think I’m eating my words, OP. I prefer new houses and we keep trying to find land to build, but in this area the rent ratio is really high compared to mortgages for the same properties and we are actually now looking at a house build 89 years ago that I have just fallen in love with, in a nice location, to live in cheaply while we keep waiting on the right parcel at the right price.

It’s super charming and lovely - we are going to a showing this week and checking it out carefully, but if things like the wiring and plumbing are redone as well as the finishes we’re making an offer.

Never say never, apparently?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or