U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 10:00 AM

2,070 posts, read 3,135,187 times

Advertisements

I have a feeling that whatever house my wife and I get into, it would be the tub. It's not a must, but she would prefer to have a shower/tub combo. Only thing is she's been using a stand in shower for awhile now, I already know it's not going to be used much but I guess it would help if we had a kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 10:26 AM

700 posts, read 276,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Depends on this one. with a regular water heater we pay to keep water hot while it is being stored. With tank less water heating you only heat on demand. The way to save money with it is to have the entire home on tank less water heating. Cost to set up a system on a new built home is more economical then retrofitting I have heard.
I don't really understand your point. I have a hot water on demand system in my home - no storage tank. As far as I am aware, kitchen sink hot water dispensers store hot water like a miniature version of a house hot water tank system. I have neither. If I had a kitchen sink hot water dispenser, it would be used for about 2 cups per day so I don't care to store boiling water all day. Don't want and don't need.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:49 AM

164 posts, read 67,237 times
For us it was the wood-burning fireplace. We live in central Texas, and the last few years we've had mild winters. We used it maybe 3 times in the 5 years we lived here, and the roof was leaking around the vent. Last year we removed the fireplace so we could expand the kitchen. We kept the brick, though (it was the centerpiece of our living room with a vaulted ceiling, so removing the brick wasn't really feasible), so we bought an LED fireplace that blows heat to put back in the opening. It looks cool and it's functional and honestly, our friends didn't even realize it wasn't real. We used it lots last winter and are eager to use it again this winter - it's so much more functional for us than the fireplace ever was.

Old 10-27-2017, 11:01 AM

7,006 posts, read 4,343,095 times
I don't use my dishwasher much but it's nice to have for that one time where you don't want to do the dishes once a month or so.

Old 10-27-2017, 11:05 AM

14,824 posts, read 23,606,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
I don't really understand your point. I have a hot water on demand system in my home - no storage tank. As far as I am aware, kitchen sink hot water dispensers store hot water like a miniature version of a house hot water tank system. I have neither. If I had a kitchen sink hot water dispenser, it would be used for about 2 cups per day so I don't care to store boiling water all day. Don't want and don't need.
They make hot water on demand. No storage needed. Same for the shower. On demand systems make it on demand.

You mentioned that it cost more to run a tank less system. That is not the case. You only heat it as you need it. Your not paying to heat it when your not using it.

https://energy.gov/energysaver/tankl...-water-heaters

"For homes that use 41 gallons or less of hot water daily, demand water heaters can be 24%–34% more energy efficient than conventional storage tank water heaters. They can be 8%–14% more energy efficient for homes that use a lot of hot water -- around 86 gallons per day. You can achieve even greater energy savings of 27%–50% if you install a demand water heater at each hot water outlet. ENERGY STAR® estimates that a typical family can save $100 or more per year with an ENERGY STAR qualified tankless water heater."

Old 10-27-2017, 11:10 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,490,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayela View Post
I thought we'd use the fireplace a lot more, but we almost never do. Too sooty, too stinky, and I don't like leaving fires to burn down after I go to bed (which can take forever), so we rarely ever start one. I think we might use a gas one more, but no gas lines to the property, so I guess we'll never know. As it is - it just takes up wall space where I wish I could put furniture instead.
We have had houses with up to 3 wood burning fireplaces and of course full chimneys. Lovely to look at. Expensive to build. They each were only used a few times in 12-15 years of ownership.

Our current house has 1 gas vented fireplace...not even a 'real' chimney. We have used it more. It is especially handy with power failure in winter. It's hooked to our in ground propane tank which is used to heat house and cook.

We like this setup...

Old 10-27-2017, 11:17 AM

13,614 posts, read 9,464,532 times
A huge yard. My dog hates it and it is nothing but a lot of work.

Old 10-27-2017, 11:32 AM

700 posts, read 276,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
They make hot water on demand. No storage needed. Same for the shower. On demand systems make it on demand.

You mentioned that it cost more to run a tank less system. That is not the case. You only heat it as you need it. Your not paying to heat it when your not using it.

https://energy.gov/energysaver/tankl...-water-heaters

"For homes that use 41 gallons or less of hot water daily, demand water heaters can be 24%–34% more energy efficient than conventional storage tank water heaters. They can be 8%–14% more energy efficient for homes that use a lot of hot water -- around 86 gallons per day. You can achieve even greater energy savings of 27%–50% if you install a demand water heater at each hot water outlet. ENERGY STAR® estimates that a typical family can save $100 or more per year with an ENERGY STAR qualified tankless water heater."
You are confusing everything. I have no idea why you're talking about whole house systems. I never said that a tankless system costs more to run. Please point out where I've said this. I have a tankless / on demand system for my house.

I was talking about built-in kitchen sink hot water dispensers that dispense near boiling water for coffee, tea, etc. I believe most are tanked (every one i've seen is) but I'm not going to argue.

Old 10-27-2017, 12:11 PM

8,334 posts, read 7,806,909 times
Hm, well when it came to this house there were only a few "must haves". As in if the house didn't have these things, we weren't interested -

Must have
character/not cookie cutter/not new(er) construction
Large lot (at least a half acre) with mature trees
Pool

We don't use the following frequently, but we want our home to have them:

Fireplace
Dining Room
Formal living room
Outdoor kitchen (though we do use it at least ten times a year, though)
Tubs in mostly all baths
Bonus rooms

Our home has all of that, we're happy.

Old 10-27-2017, 12:57 PM

8,329 posts, read 16,330,692 times
The par 3 that used to be behind my home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate