U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 01:42 PM

1,001 posts, read 605,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Living room. It's just there for show, never use it. Next house won't have one, just a cozy den, which I have now.
That was our last house, officially known as the "Peach Room" because that was the wall color. There was also a dining room area which opened fully into the living room (a large "L" shape for both rooms), but these were separated from the entry, kitchen (with island and room for table/chairs) and family room by walls on the main floor. The kitchen/family room was an open floor plan and that is where we were almost all of the time.

The living room was just another place to vacuum and dust, the dining area would accumulate piles on the table over time, a staging area for stuff going to donation.

Our house now has a living room->dining area->kitchen open floor plan across the entire back of the main floor. No formal dining room but the dining area within has the space for a large table with six chairs and their is an island in the prep area. Plus a separate den off the entry (could be used as a dining room for the next owners, but a very comfortable and well-used den for us).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 01:57 PM

21,326 posts, read 54,433,903 times
CAT V cable in every room. Telephone jacks in every room. Oh and that switch ont he wall in the parlor that I put in. I cannot figure out what it does.

Old 10-27-2017, 03:18 PM

9,939 posts, read 14,649,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
I don't really understand your point. I have a hot water on demand system in my home - no storage tank. As far as I am aware, kitchen sink hot water dispensers store hot water like a miniature version of a house hot water tank system. I have neither. If I had a kitchen sink hot water dispenser, it would be used for about 2 cups per day so I don't care to store boiling water all day. Don't want and don't need.
It all depends on your usage. I am on number four. It is big enough for almost boiling water for a pot of pasta, a pot of tea, quickly rinsing knives, grits, ... Working from home I drink herb tea all day. We have regular house guests who prefer instant coffee. The fridge takes 2 minutes for a glass of tea water. To the best of my knowledge hot water on demand does not get set to scalding temps you use in the kitchen.

Old 10-27-2017, 03:49 PM

7,262 posts, read 10,178,166 times
I have nothing to add, like many I rarely use a bathtub. BWhen I was building a simple house back in 2004 toe kick things to turn the water on were a big thing on builder boards. I thought they sounded extremely useful - has anyone ever had them?

I insisted it have a real fireplace. I did not use it much but that is because it seem to be smoky. I don't know if it was because it was so windy there, or the chimney or fireplace was poorly positioned or what.
My sister had a fireplace in an old victorian house and used it all the time. Didn't smoke or smell up the place almost ever.
So, I would love and use a wood burning fireplace if it worked right.
I have a gas fireplace now but gas here is expensve and so the pilot light really added to the bill as I think this is an old cheap inefficient model. So I had the apt maintenance guy turn off the pilot. I would use it occasionally if it were easy to light and use but I don't know how.

The quality of a feature, whether its a tub that cools too fast, a jet tub that is too loud etc. can factor into whether someone wants to use it or not.

Old 10-27-2017, 03:57 PM

978 posts, read 291,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
Things I've observed over the years:

-Vaulted ceilings. Wasteful to heat and keep painted, etc.

Things that I've learned to be very useful and perhaps relied upon more than originally thought:

-kitchen exhaust fan/filter. worth getting the best you can afford and have it vented properly to the outside of the house

-bathroom exhaust fan. Also worth investing in the best/strongest. Moisture kills a house and after a shower I want fresh air, not stale moist air in the bathroom.
Totally agree with these!

What is the point of circulating cooking odors and volatile oils around INSIDE the house? Never understood that. When I've had to install a range hood I made sure it actually vented to the outside.

Probably one thing about my current house I question is lack of a vent fan in the master bath. It has a window (the other bath doesn't, so has a fan), but in the depths of winter the last thing I really want is a blast of sub-freezing air wafting over my exposed skin. Plus, the draft just pushes that wet air farther INTO the darned house.

When I watch some program like House Hunters it always puzzles me to watch these folks raving over massive vaulted ceilings in great rooms and foyers. Its wasted space filled with air that you have to heat or cool. OK, in a hot climate it might be handy to have all that heat drift up and away, but that's about it. In a cold climate the heat you just paid for goes straight up away from the occupants. Then you need a ceiling fan to force it back down where it can be felt. Dumb.

Old 10-27-2017, 04:17 PM

4,681 posts, read 3,451,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Living room. It's just there for show, never use it. Next house won't have one, just a cozy den, which I have now.
I remember as a kid, our house had a living room and a family room. Even as a kid, I never understood the point in the family room. The living room is where the comfy couch was along with the TV and stereo. Evenings were always spent in the living room and no time at all was spent in the family room except to dust and vacuum.

Old 10-27-2017, 05:29 PM

14,054 posts, read 21,121,712 times
I didn't have to have it but I would love to get rid of the soaking tub in favor of a larger shower - however, a thread on my home forum a few years ago showed they are viewed favorably here. So, I guess it will stay. My 13 year old daughter is the only one who uses it. Better than no one using it.

Old 10-27-2017, 05:34 PM

4,681 posts, read 3,451,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I didn't have to have it but I would love to get rid of the soaking tub in favor of a larger shower - however, a thread on my home forum a few years ago showed they are viewed favorably here. So, I guess it will stay. My 13 year old daughter is the only one who uses it. Better than no one using it.
I think there were other threads about this topic. For some reason, soaking tubs are huge selling points in a house, yet nobody actually uses them. It's kind of funny.

Old 10-27-2017, 05:39 PM

14,054 posts, read 21,121,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I think there were other threads about this topic. For some reason, soaking tubs are huge selling points in a house, yet nobody actually uses them. It's kind of funny.
I agree. I'm glad it's not a Jacuzzi. My sister is stuck with one of them.

Old 10-27-2017, 05:42 PM

259 posts, read 127,310 times
None.

But - - I swore when I went house shopping for this last house, that I would get a fireplace. I REALLY wanted a fireplace. Well, as it worked out, to get the house in the location that I wanted, most of the houses in my price range did not have a fireplace. So I gave that up to be in the neighborhood I wanted. I probably wouldn't do it differently now, but I really miss that fireplace, nonetheless! But I love the screened in patio, both for me and the pets. So you have to go with your priorities and you usually cant get everything your want, especially at a low-ish price point. There are trade-offs to be made. The neighborhood was my first priority.. And THAT, I got!!

For what it's worth, I probably would have been tempted by the soaking tub too, but probably wouldn't have used it much because it takes so much water! Instead, I love the big walk in shower in the master bath. Good enough.

Last edited by BijouBaby; 10-27-2017 at 05:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate