U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 05:59 PM

177 posts, read 100,839 times

Advertisements

Our 4th bedroom.

3 are upstairs and the 4th is downstairs. When we were building, I insisted on a "man room" so this 4th bedroom became that space (we had the builder remove the closet). I figured I'd use it for watching sports and playing Xbox, etc. However, 9 years later its rarely seen any use. Actually, we use it now more than ever as a baby changing room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 06:57 PM

3,719 posts, read 5,439,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
You guys are killing me. I'd sell my soul for a deep soaking tub. I love water.

This is something that came with my house, but it had three bedrooms and two full bathrooms. I used the master bath all the time (thank God it only had one sink), but the only time I even entered the other bathroom was to clean it. I'd eliminate one bedroom and the 2nd full bathroom if I could. One bedroom was a small workshop for me and the other I just used for temporary storage. What a waste of space.
This.
I lived in an off grid cabin in the woods for 14 years and hate on,y tub was a woodfired hot tub that took 3 hours to heat after building a fire in it.

Moved to the city and bought a house and a big soaking tub was a must have. I use that thing all the time, especially in cold weather. Jacuzzi jets and all. I love it.

Old 10-28-2017, 01:58 AM

11,772 posts, read 22,524,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I remember as a kid, our house had a living room and a family room. Even as a kid, I never understood the point in the family room.
If the living room is quite separate from the family room and you only have one TV (as I grew up) the parents would be in the room with the TV and I'd be in the other room making out with my boyfriend.

Old 10-28-2017, 06:40 AM

212 posts, read 73,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
I love my large soaking tub. I use it almost every day. I hate that it is a jacuzzi. I never use it (too loud) and it is a PITA to keep the jets clean.

I would never get a jacuzzi tub again.
Agreed. Would love to replace our unit with tiled bath/shower. We absolutely never use the jets but have to clean them regularly.

Old 10-28-2017, 01:05 PM

23,800 posts, read 45,463,790 times
A little off topic but related... one of my rentals has a hot tub spa... very nice and a higher end home...

Without fail... each new tenant raves about the hot tub and it is a deciding factor and they do use if for a month or two inviting over friends and then it stops.

I make a visit and notice the tub is turned off... the tenants said it was costing too much so the turned it off... so I winterize it as just turning it off isn't going to work.

So Hot Tub Spas would be my vote.

Old 10-28-2017, 01:08 PM

7,030 posts, read 1,995,887 times
dumbwaiter, thought it was nice to send laundry down, but since i have to go down to start it... i might as well bring it down when i walk there

bet they had more use for it 100 years ago when they had servants

Old 10-28-2017, 01:30 PM

875 posts, read 689,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I think there were other threads about this topic. For some reason, soaking tubs are huge selling points in a house, yet nobody actually uses them. It's kind of funny.
My sister and I do! In fact, when I had a leak coming from my bathroom into the living room a few months ago, they had to pull out the bathtub to get to the leak in question. I told the plumber that I'd wanted to replace the bathtub anyway (since it was pretty beat up from previous tenants), and he asked if I'd like a deeper bathtub--as in 20 inches as opposed to the 14-inch deep one that was there. I jumped on that, and it was installed....and I *love* it. I'll soak for hours reading a book in there. It did take some getting used to taking the bigger step to get in and out of it, but for me, it's totally worth it.

My sister is the same way, but her bathtub is still 14 inches deep. I've thought about replacing hers as well at some point, but I don't know if it'd be worth it to get a deeper one for her. First off, she's a few inches shorter than I am (and I admittedly have to take a big step at five-foot-seven to get in and out of mine). Secondly, her bathroom is what would normally be the 'kids bathroom', if a family with young children were living in it. While I can probably get away with a deeper bathtub in the master bathroom if I needed to sell (and I'm not planning to), I doubt the same would go for the kids' bathroom. And most importantly....because of how they did the tile and drywalling in her bathroom, it would cost nearly $10,000 to have redone. I don't have that kind of money. So my sister might get one of those 'bathtub liners' you can put over the tub to make it look nice, and I'll probably have the fixtures upgraded and a new shower door (if she wants one) soon.

Old 10-28-2017, 01:40 PM

6,181 posts, read 6,239,074 times
I have double sinks in the main bathroom, and I am not sure if the 2nd sink even works. Put me in the camp of people who never use a soaking tub and love my oversized, double headed shower.

The house came with a hot tub, but I knew that I wanted to tear it out. Almost the first thing I did.

I thought the double ovens were stupid, but I use them often enough that I think it is a great feature. The third bedroom gets used primarily as a huge walk in closet, but I am ok with that.

I was enthralled with the two decks, but rarely use one of them.

Old 10-28-2017, 01:43 PM

408 posts, read 117,262 times
I love my soaker tub, but I hate that I allowed my contractor to talk me into acrylic.

Old 10-28-2017, 02:13 PM

206 posts, read 254,311 times
Dining Rooms. We have owned 7 homes and five of them had formal dining rooms. At best, they got used 2 times a year for holiday dinners. That square footage could have been put to better use. For our retirement home, while downsizing, we got a country kitchen with a nice informal dining space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate