Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 09:08 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,334,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Ok, different issue then. My area, houses get a temp meter right from the very beginning (right after the foundation is in) and full power partway through, so often before many things had been finished, like the painting, or install of cabinets or flooring, so I could see a builder putting up some temps.

What does your contract say about the lighting? Were you supposed to pick your own fixtures? Did you get a budget? Or do you have a specification page that says what will be used? New construction should have something that says what finishes will be used in the house. It is possible that in negotiating the price you ended up expected to provide your own final light fixtures. Wouldn't be the first time I'd seen that.
Good point. Definitely check your spec sheet. Everything you pay for should be on there. We didn't go with any builder lighting except for the can lights in the ceiling. We did get builder lights for foyer and porches. No island lights or bedroom lights. But thy did run the wiring and put caps over the holes where they go. We did have them install boxes that handle the weight of ceiling fans but it was on us to install the fan/light fixtures.

I thought I had requested a different tile in my master shower. Almost pitched a fit until I double checked with my spec sheet in the contract. I was wrong. . Thank goodness I didn't call him on it!

That spec sheet went with me on every visit to the job site. Drove hubby nuts that I was there every other day. LOL!

If you paid for lights, it should be on the sheets exactly the lights you picked out. If it doesn't match, time to have a heart to heart talk with the builder. Not just the real estate agent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 09:11 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,195,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
Call the county to find out the truth.
or certainly your agent is smart enough to either know, or ask the question for you.

I'm sorry you're freaking out; it's certainly the highest stress time of the build.

Unless you revised the contract so there was a "time is of the essence" to earlier this week, I feel certain they're not in breach of the contract. Hopefully, your contract included either a lighting allowance where YOU chose the fixtures, or they spelled out what fixtures would be used.

Old 11-03-2017, 09:12 AM

15,570 posts, read 40,404,923 times
Don't you have a spec sheet attached to your contract? I'm so confused if you don't.

Old 11-03-2017, 09:13 AM

I really do hope she's just freaking out, and does have all the normal protections in a new-build contract.

Old 11-03-2017, 09:16 AM

for reference, her last thread on this house...

How do building allowances work?

Old 11-03-2017, 09:32 AM

2,103 posts, read 4,468,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Don't you have a spec sheet attached to your contract? I'm so confused if you don't.
No we don't. The only thing we were given allowances for were appliances, counters/cabinets and carpet. We never realized we needed it for ****ing lights on a 400k brand new house. I feel very deceived and like we got a bait and switched right now. They waited to do finishes until they had a buyer.

We talked to the builder and were told "oil rubbed bronze" fixtures were being put in when we first went under contract. Well half these fixtures aren't even that. They are silver and ugly glass type stuff.

We have a rate lock that expires in a few days with a fee per day after. The seller is well aware or that. They let this house sit for 6 weeks while they worked on more important projects. There's no reason it wasnt done. We actually had unseasonably warm weather. Our realtor sent them an email asking for dates yesterday and it's been crickets.

Old 11-03-2017, 09:53 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
These were all things I had problems with too but was told it's county rules.
Unless they are lying and don't want to pay for the electric. I dont know. Sigh.
As a buyer have you had an attorney involved at all up to now?
Someone to review the contracts and otherwise advise you?

Start asking for names.

Old 11-03-2017, 09:57 AM

6,553 posts, read 8,380,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
No we don't. The only thing we were given allowances for were appliances, counters/cabinets and carpet. We never realized we needed it for ****ing lights on a 400k brand new house. I feel very deceived and like we got a bait and switched right now. They waited to do finishes until they had a buyer.

We talked to the builder and were told "oil rubbed bronze" fixtures were being put in when we first went under contract. Well half these fixtures aren't even that. They are silver and ugly glass type stuff.

We have a rate lock that expires in a few days with a fee per day after. The seller is well aware or that. They let this house sit for 6 weeks while they worked on more important projects. There's no reason it wasnt done. We actually had unseasonably warm weather. Our realtor sent them an email asking for dates yesterday and it's been crickets.
I'm sorry, OP. Your builder sounds sketchy. Unless the above was in writing, I'm skeptical that you'll get what you were told.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:02 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,334,553 times
Is it too late to back out? This is not sounding good at all. Makes me wonder about everything in the house before you bought into it.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:23 AM

2,103 posts, read 4,468,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
Is it too late to back out? This is not sounding good at all. Makes me wonder about everything in the house before you bought into it.
This is exactly why I'm so upset right now. My stomach hurts. Multiple times I've thought we should back out but we are in a tough sellers market and the actual location is ideal. We probably jumped into this too fast after losing our dream home.

Someone mentioned an attorney. I think we signed something that lets our Realtor's firm attorney look at things? Then there's the closing one.

Our realtor just confirmed if they put the used ones in it's a lawsuit. Unless specified in the contract a new home gets new things. So at least I know we have options. Tried calling the GC and nothing. Pending his answer I think we might need to start considering other options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate