Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 11:01 AM

801 posts, read 615,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post

I have only known when something was sold too cheap, the buyer came out ahead.

While I was in the Navy in 1954, there was an ad for a current year Cadillac Sedan for sale for $100. Everyone thought this was just a mistake in the ad and did not call including myself. One of the aircraft mechanics 2nd class in our squadron, checked on it and found it was really for sale for $100 and perfect.

Reason for the low sale price. The owner had died, and the Cadillac was to be sold by his wife, and all the money was to given to his girl friend he was seeing behind her back. She did as his will demanded. On the advice of her attorney, she sold it for $100 and gave that to the girl friend.
This is the best story I've heard in a very long time!! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2017, 06:56 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,015,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LieslMet View Post
This is the best story I've heard in a very long time!! LOL
His story is an urban legend... I've heard it for years. Here's multiple versions of it:

https://www.snopes.com/love/revenge/porsche.asp

Last edited by MikeBear; 11-26-2017 at 07:07 PM..

Old 11-26-2017, 07:03 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
MOST states do not require an attorney. It is late and I should be in bed, but maybe a dozen or so at most require one. GA, MA, NC, and I am too tired to think more, lol.
I did say an attorney wasn't required in many states just because using an attorney isn't required by law, doesn't mean no one ever hires one especially when a transaction has a number of issues such as this one.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:40 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,730,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I did say an attorney wasn't required in many states just because using an attorney isn't required by law, doesn't mean no one ever hires one especially when a transaction has a number of issues such as this one.
And I was just clarifying your statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
An attorney isn't required in many states.
You said many. It is actually most. I didn't say whether or not they should consult one. Just that the majority of states do not require it.

Old 11-28-2017, 08:03 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,470,411 times
Attorneys are typically required when the landlord is an LLC, corporation or partnership because unlicensed individuals may not appear in court on behalf of another person or entity.

Old 11-28-2017, 11:04 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times
You evict people not trailers.

Old 11-28-2017, 11:37 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
If no one's paying the mortgage, it's only a matter of time until it's repo'ed by the company that loaned the money for the single wide. If you're not in a hurry, you could just wait for that to play out. And do anything you can to cooperate with the lender, even call them and ask if there's anything you can help them with, i.e. access to the property, knowledge of tenant's comings and goings, etc.

On the other hand, if you're in a hurry to get them out I'd call a real estate lawyer for a consult. Many offer a free initial consult and will give you an estimate of their costs at that time. I'd expect to end up paying double whatever they tell you.
My thoughts as well.

Work with the mortgage company in sorting this out. If they loan on single-wides, they will likely have attorneys, repo folks, etc. on retainers.

May want to consult with a real estate attorney as well.

Old 11-28-2017, 02:53 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,338,471 times
OP, you essentially bought yourself a lawsuit. You can hire an attorney and hope for the best or just do the practical thing and determine how much cash it will cost to get the trailer owner to leave voluntarily. That will be a cheaper and more certain way to get them to leave. In a case like this, winning on the law and principle will still end up being a financial loss.

Old 12-07-2017, 07:54 AM

4,958 posts, read 2,236,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
Before I prostitute myself to try to get money for a lawyer, I figured I would ask here.

I bought a residential lot. The deed is a warranty deed, there are no liens, and the deed doesn't mention any buildings. The former owner signed a letter for the resident's mortgage company giving her permission to live on the land and saying that she would never charge her rent as long as she lived. Well, i called the mortgage company in question, they said the letter the former owner signed doesn't keep her from selling the property to me legally, and of course the letter she signed is null and void if she sells the property to anyone. So i bought it for peanuts, thinking I would try to evict the trailer myself.

Trailer is not a doublewide, not a modular, and I believe that the wheels are still on it. It is tied down of course. There was a deck installed at the front door. There was a covered deck installed at the back door. The front deck is not attached. The back deck is attached to the trailer at one point, the roof. Flashing was installed connecting the roof of the deck to the roof of the house, so you can walk out the back door in the rain onto the deck without getting rained on. Obviously, one or both decks would need to be removed if the trailer were to be moved off of the property, in order to keep from damaging the trailer. And I do not know if the fact that the back is attached to the house matters, for legal purposes.

I need to know how to evict the trailer off the property. The tenant would have the choice to walk away from the house and let it be repoed, or move it off herself. She had another person who is the main applicant on the loan, but that person left the home because the co-applicant (present resident) is a mental case. The main applicant (the person who left) is an elderly person on a fixed income, so she is no longer paying the note on the home. She is content to let it be repoed. She would have it refinanced if she could to get the co-applicant's name off the mortgage/loan, but it is only 6 months old and 21st will not refinance unless it is at least a year old. No one else seems to want to touch single wide mobile homes that are not modular, or fixed to whatever they are calling a 'permanent foundation'.

If the elderly woman were the one living on the property, I would not even collect rent. She could stay. But the woman that is living there is a lost, evil person, and I want her and her trailer off my property.

The mortgage company the trailer resident has is 21st Mortgage.

I have never communicated with the person who lives in the trailer in any way, and will not except to send legal correspondence pertaining to eviction. I am not interested in collecting rents or offering a lease agreement, unless it is a necessary step toward eviction. I want the trailer off of it.

The land is outside the city limits of Chandler, TX, and in Henderson county. I need to know how to evict the trailer/resident.

By the way, if anyone knows of an attorney that is in east Texas and can succeed with a case like this for less than 600 dollars, please share their name. I am dead poor, and really too old to sell my body. Thanks.

Back in the 90s, I owned about 1/2 acre in a decent mobile home subdivision. A tenant moved a new-ish mobile home onto the property. After a about 2 1/2 years she fell behind on payments. I had her evicted.

She abandoned the trailer. The mortgage company initially offered the mobile home for a fraction of the cost, but I declined as it was mostly trashed inside. The court ordered the mortgage company to remove the mobile home, repair any damages to the property resulting in the move (fencing) and pay rent on the land while the mobile home resided on the property. IIRC, the court this entire process to be completed withing 60-90 days.

The mortgage company was responsible for detach the decking to move the mobile home, but not remove the decking from the property as it was not a "permanent attachment".

All in all, the event transpired smoothly.

Two things:
1-I had a rental agreement with the tenant that she clearly violated
2-Not a lawyer

Last edited by Mad_Jasper; 12-07-2017 at 08:12 AM..

Old 12-07-2017, 10:35 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
Back in the 90s, I owned about 1/2 acre in a decent mobile home subdivision. A tenant moved a new-ish mobile home onto the property. After a about 2 1/2 years she fell behind on payments. I had her evicted.

She abandoned the trailer. The mortgage company initially offered the mobile home for a fraction of the cost, but I declined as it was mostly trashed inside. The court ordered the mortgage company to remove the mobile home, repair any damages to the property resulting in the move (fencing) and pay rent on the land while the mobile home resided on the property. IIRC, the court this entire process to be completed withing 60-90 days.

The mortgage company was responsible for detach the decking to move the mobile home, but not remove the decking from the property as it was not a "permanent attachment".

All in all, the event transpired smoothly.

Two things:
1-I had a rental agreement with the tenant that she clearly violated
2-Not a lawyer
If no one is making payments any longer, seems like the mortgage company is the one to be dealing with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate