U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2017, 09:08 AM

969 posts, read 4,043,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Oh! Bummer! It is in ours, not public, of course, it's agent-only information... But still... the agents are the problem in this case.

Where are they getting the info to call from then?

I asked my clients who did this last year and we removed them from the MLS. They said they hadn't gotten any calls.
There's a service called "ArchAngel" that has names and phone numbers, even cell phone numbers that these agents subscribe to in order to get the information. I had a seller's college age son who lives on the other side of the state get a phone call about the home listing that had expired! I've heard other stories where the listing was for family members of the listing agent, and after expiration their elderly parents got phone calls looking for the sellers contact info. Crazy and unprofessional behavior, in my opinion.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2017, 11:44 AM

608 posts, read 189,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyK View Post
There's a service called "ArchAngel" that has names and phone numbers, even cell phone numbers that these agents subscribe to in order to get the information. I had a seller's college age son who lives on the other side of the state get a phone call about the home listing that had expired! I've heard other stories where the listing was for family members of the listing agent, and after expiration their elderly parents got phone calls looking for the sellers contact info. Crazy and unprofessional behavior, in my opinion.
Who do they think they are, collection agencies? If anyone did that to me I would be on the phone to their agency letting them know, in no uncertain terms, would I ever do business with them and not only that but I would see to it everyone in my neighborhood heard of their tactics. It is one thing to send a letter in the mail noting that the home appears not to have sold and listing has expired and requesting they call if still interested in selling; however, phone calls go a step too far and calling relatives is over the limit. If you can't find my phone number, there is a reason. Do not attempt to circumvent that reason.

Old 11-24-2017, 02:00 PM

1,059 posts, read 451,174 times
Interestingly enough, we had an agent contact us after my dad's lake house listing had expired. The agent HAD shown the house several times and loved the house. There were some items that she said needed to be done (we couldn't get the previous agent to give us any suggestions on what to do in order to make it more appealing to buyers) and we did those things. She sold the home and worked hard to do it. I didn't feel like she was a vulture or anything, I felt like she was an eager agent who was willing to work to get the place sold.

Old 11-24-2017, 06:56 PM

3,319 posts, read 6,090,591 times
I don’t mind a letter or postcard. But anybody who cold calls me either by phone or in person won’t ever get my business.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:17 AM

7,184 posts, read 16,241,825 times
I love the question, how many times did you show the home?

My home isn't even on the market, hasn't been on the market since my purchase almost 5 years ago, and I get at least 1 or 2 calls a week. Usually, it's a part-timer hired by a team, but I have to take the call when it comes across my caller ID as Weichert or KW is calling. Damn it..... Janet.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:36 AM

8,375 posts, read 16,439,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Agreed.
Some agents will add into Agent Remarks that the client has requested no calls.

It is just another brand of telemarketing, which ethical industry leadership should be trying to discourage.
I put those comments in sometimes but it doesn't work. I had a home I had for sale that we had for sale and for rent -my wife was owner and I was listing agent. Of course it rented first. She still got a few calls when we withdrew the listing after we rented it. Remarks where along the lines of - House is withdrawn because it was rented and is no longer for sale. Owner is wife of Realtor." I didn't have her number listed as it was vacant but a few agents somehow got her cell and still called.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:06 AM

4,271 posts, read 3,244,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
Our listing expired yesterday and we started getting calls this morning from other agents inquiring about our desire to sell.
I was really surprised that we got 6 messages and 2 visits from realtors asking about our intent to sell.

Is this common?
Yes, it is VERY common. An expired listing is basically a big flashing blue light special: "We want to sell, but we couldn't!" Usually, what we do around here is if we are withdrawing a listing temporarily, we put a note in the private remarks DO NOT CALL - RELISTING (DATE). That lets agents who bother to read the remarks know not to waste their time calling to get the listing.

However, there are database services that email updates daily/weekly to agents to let them know what homes have expired, along with any phone numbers they can match the owners to in other databases. Combined with an autodialer, agents simply call owners to try to convince the owners to use a different agent. Unfortunately, they often don't look at the listing on-line first. :-(

I'm surprised you only received 6 calls. A home around here that expires usually receives 20-50 calls within a couple of days of expiring. We warn our sellers that it will happen, and generally, they just don't accept phone calls from unknown numbers for a week. That clears out most of them, but there are some agents who will diligently follow up.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
Who do they think they are, collection agencies? If anyone did that to me I would be on the phone to their agency letting them know, in no uncertain terms, would I ever do business with them and not only that but I would see to it everyone in my neighborhood heard of their tactics. It is one thing to send a letter in the mail noting that the home appears not to have sold and listing has expired and requesting they call if still interested in selling; however, phone calls go a step too far and calling relatives is over the limit. If you can't find my phone number, there is a reason. Do not attempt to circumvent that reason.
Well, here's what's happening there: Often, one person in the household holds multiple phone lines, including the kids. (For example, our kids are still on our phone bill, even though they are in their 20's -- it's 5 bucks a line, and we get freebies for having multiple lines, so it's all good.) But there's no differentiation with the phone company and some databases who actually owns that phone. So the autodialer starts dialing . . . and it may be picking up the child instead of the actual owner. They don't know who it is. Of course, a polite question, "Hi, is this John Smith?" would solve the questions quickly when the child says "No, sorry, wrong number." It's not a deliberate attempt to get to the owner through the relative -- just bad data.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
We don't post client contact to our MLS here.

So, there is nothing to remove. The phone rings anyway, and the mail is delivered, and the doorknockers still come by.
Around here, some agencies (the a la carte agencies, mostly) will put the seller's name and phone number in the listing, because the agency isn't screening showings. For all others, it is almost uniformly "Call/Text Agent" and the agent's phone number.

Trying to "hide" the owner's name is a lost cause these days -- on-line reverse searches, not to mention tax records -- tell all. :-) But at least this way, we make 'em work for it. :-)

Old 11-27-2017, 12:30 PM

28,663 posts, read 50,927,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
Around here, some agencies (the a la carte agencies, mostly) will put the seller's name and phone number in the listing, because the agency isn't screening showings. For all others, it is almost uniformly "Call/Text Agent" and the agent's phone number.

Trying to "hide" the owner's name is a lost cause these days -- on-line reverse searches, not to mention tax records -- tell all. :-) But at least this way, we make 'em work for it. :-)
We have the same with EO listings, with home owner contact info in the listing.
That should probably get scrubbed before the listing is expired or withdrawn.

Otherwise, on full service listings, telemarketers have to dig a bit for owner contact info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate