Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 01:16 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,033,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
One thing agents can do to protect their clients from these calls is to remove the client's contact information and phone number from the MLS before it expires or is cancelled.

This has cut down on most of the calls for clients of ours who have pulled their listing for whatever reason.

In our MLS it takes a special form with the client signature to remove the client contact information like this legally. To take it out without signature breaks MLS rules. Most clients will happily sign it. Most clients do NOT want these calls.
We don't post client contact to our MLS here.

So, there is nothing to remove. The phone rings anyway, and the mail is delivered, and the doorknockers still come by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2017, 01:36 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,076,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

So, there is nothing to remove. The phone rings anyway, and the mail is delivered, and the doorknockers still come by.
Oh! Bummer! It is in ours, not public, of course, it's agent-only information... But still... the agents are the problem in this case.

Where are they getting the info to call from then?

I asked my clients who did this last year and we removed them from the MLS. They said they hadn't gotten any calls.

Old 11-23-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Oh! Bummer! It is in ours, not public, of course, it's agent-only information... But still... the agents are the problem in this case.

Where are they getting the info to call from then?

I asked my clients who did this last year and we removed them from the MLS. They said they hadn't gotten any calls.
Land lines, white pages.

Sometimes online search.

Old 11-23-2017, 02:15 PM

Ah well that might be part of it in our case... no listed land line phone number.

At least if they're having to look it up, they're working harder than here, where it's all at their fingertips.

Poor people really get inundated.

Old 11-23-2017, 02:52 PM

340 posts, read 222,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

I was really surprised- well, dumbfounded really- to hear that agents like Diana in her area could or even would add the seller's phone number to the MLS. Even if it's not for public view, and for agents only.

Am I the only one who thinks it's strange that agents would want to give other agents their client's contact info, or be required to?

Do you really want other agents calling your client in the middle of the night to ask them if there's a roof warranty?

You know me, I can get pretty creative, but I just can't imagine why on earth would a listing agent want every other agent out there to see the seller's phone number? Think, Riggy, think!

Last edited by riggy_house; 11-23-2017 at 03:00 PM..

Old 11-23-2017, 05:36 PM

It is strictly prohibited for an agent to contact the seller (of an active listing) directly except under very limited circumstances... (1) if they are the "phone to show contact" in order to schedule an appt. (2) if they have an offer to present, and the listing agent has not responded in over 24 hours.

Those are the only exceptions I can think of off the top of my head... as long as the listing is active.

Consequences are severe for breaking MLS rules.

Old 11-23-2017, 07:26 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,047,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
I usually get a bit nasty when this kind of thing happens and ask the realtor how many times he showed the property during the initial listing, if he is so interested in it now.
LOL! Love that!!
We were on the market a grand total of 6 days and had many showings (at least 12). We took the house off the market when we calculated the time to close and the completion of our home construction. It did not work for our comfort level, we would have had to rent/store furniture for a while.

Our timing miscalculation.

We were surprised at the number of calls/visits and mildly amused that they assumed the house failed to sell in that 6 month listing period, most claiming to be experts in "relistings".

Old 11-23-2017, 08:17 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,333,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
We put our home on the market this past May contracted with a local agent for 6 months.
Had to take it off the market because our new build was delayed. Our agent still had the contract but the listing was not active.

Our listing expired yesterday and we started getting calls this morning from other agents inquiring about our desire to sell.
I was really surprised that we got 6 messages and 2 visits from realtors asking about our intent to sell.

Is this common?
Yes - I actually posted a similar thread a couple years back.

You actually had people come to your door though? Thankfully I never had that (that I'm aware of). But mine was 2 years ago and I still get text messages from one agent in particular.

Old 11-24-2017, 06:07 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,380,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riggy_house View Post
I was really surprised- well, dumbfounded really- to hear that agents like Diana in her area could or even would add the seller's phone number to the MLS. Even if it's not for public view, and for agents only.

Am I the only one who thinks it's strange that agents would want to give other agents their client's contact info, or be required to?

Do you really want other agents calling your client in the middle of the night to ask them if there's a roof warranty?

You know me, I can get pretty creative, but I just can't imagine why on earth would a listing agent want every other agent out there to see the seller's phone number? Think, Riggy, think!
Here, we have always had the listing agent call the seller to arrange a listing rather than playing a hide and seek game of find the agent to get the agent to find the seller and then call the listing agent back to arrange a showing. (Now we have a scheduling service which most do not use because of problems with the way it works.) We are not to contact the seller for anything other than scheduling showings and for the most part that works well. I do, however, advise my sellers that they are not to tell any other agent anything they don't want the buyer to know in negotiations, before the listing ever goes on the MLS, and that counts whether the other agent is on the phone scheduling a showing or next to them in the grocery store line or at the same party they are at.

Old 11-24-2017, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Here, we have always had the listing agent call the seller to arrange a listing rather than playing a hide and seek game of find the agent to get the agent to find the seller and then call the listing agent back to arrange a showing. (Now we have a scheduling service which most do not use because of problems with the way it works.) We are not to contact the seller for anything other than scheduling showings and for the most part that works well. I do, however, advise my sellers that they are not to tell any other agent anything they don't want the buyer to know in negotiations, before the listing ever goes on the MLS, and that counts whether the other agent is on the phone scheduling a showing or next to them in the grocery store line or at the same party they are at.
We used to have Centralized Showing Service. I was always satisfied with the service.
Since November, we use ShowingTime. It also works well.
I am curious what issues you have with your service and who you use?

As it is, we have no need to post contact numbers or emails, unless it is an Entry Only FSBO listing.
I like the separation of my sellers from buyers agents by the intermediary service, and the noted abuse of the access to numbers in the listings is just one more reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate