U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 10:15 PM

2,125 posts, read 4,125,899 times

Advertisements

My seller offered to leave a perfectly good washer and dryer, 50" plasma TV with sound bar, and a Blu-Ray player at no extra charge after accepting my full-price offer, so I can't really complain, but I will. She also left about 10 partly full cans of paint, and only two contained a color still in the house; an outdoor potting bench that was so rotten it was literally falling apart; a rusty old bike rack in the back yard that was so hard to pull out of the ground I had to hire someone to do it; some really dilapidated very large outdoor plant pots; and a number of garden chemicals I have no use for and can't just dump down the drain. I had to pay to have the potting bench, pots, and bike rack hauled away, and I gave all the useless paint away to an artist who answered my craigslist ad for free old interior house paint.

When I sell a house, I leave nothing behind unless my realtor asks the buyers' realtor if they want the items.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2017, 10:34 PM

1,605 posts, read 1,322,682 times
I just closed on my house in CA last week. The buyers also did not want the carpet pieces that we had saved ... and one doorway did need a threshold replacement because a cat tore the carpet when locked in that room. NOT MY PROBLEM NOW! Carpet tossed.

They also do not want the heavy duty steel shelves in the Tool Room. Each shelf held 1200 pounds. So we took the shelves up to the street --all 16 sets of them--that lined the walls of the tool room. My neighbors grabbed them fast. In less than 24 hours 15 of the 16 shelving units were gone. (My neighbors loved us when we moved, they also took 3 vacuums, tons of planters, tools, Christmas outdoor santas and reindeers and indoor Christmas decorations, furniture, beds, kids toys, household items. Only thing left the next day was the one shelving unit, and I bet it was gone before 9 am. Some of the neighbors even asked to come into the house and picked out the stuff they wanted--even better as we did not drag the stuff to the curb, they happily carried it out themselves.)

They also wanted the swing set (metal) replaced with a new wooden one. NOPE! Not in the contract, and nothing wrong with the metal one. They just liked wood. Plus it was cemented into the ground so I told them no. Then they said just remove the old one, they will buy the new one. I told them no again because it was cemented into the ground. The buyer was not happy but the realtor said it was ok as it was attached to the ground and clearly in the listing.

They too did not want the deck stain/waterproofing material, paint or indoor stains. Gone too!

They did not want the artificial embers and components of the gas fire place. Their 'inspector' said it was 'debris' that fell from the creosol encrusted fireplace. REALLY? I owned the house since 1999 and it was a gas fireplace with cement like artificial logs. Never saw real wood that I know of! And I had it cleaned twice, even though one does not have to clean a gas fireplace that does not burn wood. IT was cleaned when I bought it and after a new roof was put on as the spark ring on top of the chimney had been knocked loose by the roofers, so I had it cleaned when that was replaced. No problem, everything was cleaned out! Now she will need to buy an artificial log set.

Old 11-24-2017, 11:37 PM

349 posts, read 70,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
I just closed on my house in CA last week. The buyers also did not want the carpet pieces that we had saved ... and one doorway did need a threshold replacement because a cat tore the carpet when locked in that room. NOT MY PROBLEM NOW! Carpet tossed.

They also do not want the heavy duty steel shelves in the Tool Room. Each shelf held 1200 pounds. So we took the shelves up to the street --all 16 sets of them--that lined the walls of the tool room. My neighbors grabbed them fast. In less than 24 hours 15 of the 16 shelving units were gone. (My neighbors loved us when we moved, they also took 3 vacuums, tons of planters, tools, Christmas outdoor santas and reindeers and indoor Christmas decorations, furniture, beds, kids toys, household items. Only thing left the next day was the one shelving unit, and I bet it was gone before 9 am. Some of the neighbors even asked to come into the house and picked out the stuff they wanted--even better as we did not drag the stuff to the curb, they happily carried it out themselves.)

They also wanted the swing set (metal) replaced with a new wooden one. NOPE! Not in the contract, and nothing wrong with the metal one. They just liked wood. Plus it was cemented into the ground so I told them no. Then they said just remove the old one, they will buy the new one. I told them no again because it was cemented into the ground. The buyer was not happy but the realtor said it was ok as it was attached to the ground and clearly in the listing.

They too did not want the deck stain/waterproofing material, paint or indoor stains. Gone too!

They did not want the artificial embers and components of the gas fire place. Their 'inspector' said it was 'debris' that fell from the creosol encrusted fireplace. REALLY? I owned the house since 1999 and it was a gas fireplace with cement like artificial logs. Never saw real wood that I know of! And I had it cleaned twice, even though one does not have to clean a gas fireplace that does not burn wood. IT was cleaned when I bought it and after a new roof was put on as the spark ring on top of the chimney had been knocked loose by the roofers, so I had it cleaned when that was replaced. No problem, everything was cleaned out! Now she will need to buy an artificial log set.
Hi lae60,

These situations can be frustrating for sure, but I've found that Buyers may often have their Inspectors shoot things down that they (the buyers) don't want, which actually makes perfect sense to me.

For instance: the Buyers don't like your current gas logs. Since the contract doesn't really allow the Buyers to negotiate items according to their personal tastes, it's often just easier for unscrupulous Buyers to persuade their Inspector to make up something ambiguous that's hard for the Sellers to dispute.

I mean, How many people who have gas logs know exactly what materials were used as fake "embers" in the gas fireplace?

Much of that type of info is considered "trade secret"by the manufacturer, so you as the seller may have a very difficult time trying to argue that your fake gas log embers weren't just old fireplace debris that shouldn't be there.

If I were an inspector, and my client had concerns about the scraggly ashy looking materials used for embers, I would politely explain to them that they could indeed be original manufacturer materials, or that they could also very well indeed be something else which shouldn't belong as part of the home sale.

At the end of the day, I would likely consider my client's concerns and express them accordingly in my inspection report if I was otherwise unable to prove their concerns as unfounded.

This would seem an easy way for savvy buyers to get you the Seller to do some of the labor by having you remove at least the disputable debris, if not the entire gas log unit which the Buyers don't desire to keep.

Last edited by riggy_house; 11-24-2017 at 11:59 PM..

Old 11-25-2017, 07:18 AM

3,294 posts, read 1,245,446 times
Had both sides happen.
I often am up front on all materials involving the house and grounds. We offered on a home and loved the built in pond. The owner said...oh that system is being dug up so it won't be part of the deal. They had a rusted hot tub enclosure that they were more then happy to leave behind. We wanted the eyesore gone.

List what stays and remove the rest. No we don't want your basketball hoop or above ground pool.

When we sold our home...all kitchen appliances,backyard features stayed. We had a beautiful English garden with trellis and prized roses. We left all warranty packets and at that time our paint color guide .We left a stain can since it was special ordered. They loved our attention to detail. We got a lovely thank you note from the new owners.

Old 11-25-2017, 07:53 AM

5,477 posts, read 5,792,033 times
Problem is, what happens when the sale falls through at the last moment? Here you removed the swing set, recycled the paint, threw out the hot tub, whatever. Now you need to re-advertise and do some touch up, but alas, all your stuff is gone.

And have you ever tried to take a paint chip from the bedroom wall so you could color match? Not likely.

But generally, I agree. Nobody wants your leftovers, probably not your paint, pots, or fertilizers.

Old 11-25-2017, 08:25 AM

7,175 posts, read 8,896,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riggy_house View Post
Hi lae60,

These situations can be frustrating for sure, but I've found that Buyers may often have their Inspectors shoot things down that they (the buyers) don't want, which actually makes perfect sense to me.

For instance: the Buyers don't like your current gas logs. Since the contract doesn't really allow the Buyers to negotiate items according to their personal tastes, it's often just easier for unscrupulous Buyers to persuade their Inspector to make up something ambiguous that's hard for the Sellers to dispute.

I mean, How many people who have gas logs know exactly what materials were used as fake "embers" in the gas fireplace?

Much of that type of info is considered "trade secret"by the manufacturer, so you as the seller may have a very difficult time trying to argue that your fake gas log embers weren't just old fireplace debris that shouldn't be there.

If I were an inspector, and my client had concerns about the scraggly ashy looking materials used for embers, I would politely explain to them that they could indeed be original manufacturer materials, or that they could also very well indeed be something else which shouldn't belong as part of the home sale.

At the end of the day, I would likely consider my client's concerns and express them accordingly in my inspection report if I was otherwise unable to prove their concerns as unfounded.

This would seem an easy way for savvy buyers to get you the Seller to do some of the labor by having you remove at least the disputable debris, if not the entire gas log unit which the Buyers don't desire to keep.
That would be a pretty shady inspector if they really changed their findings in the report in the way you are saying. It would be practically unheard of for someone to even communicate that there are certain things they donít want in the home. Now, obviously the seller and agent have walked through the house and seen it, and if they have noticed a crack or a water stain it isnít unusual for them to say hey, Iím concerned about X, but your job as a home inspector is to report the facts you find in the home, nothing more. Sometimes that means reassuring the buyer that the crack is simply normal drywall issues and sometimes you end up finding something far worse than anyone inspected.

Old 11-25-2017, 08:40 AM

3,464 posts, read 8,573,701 times
We left a minimal amount of things that I would have wanted if I were a buyer - a small shelf in the garage, a wooden silverware tray in the kitchen drawer, the curtain rods we took down for the showing (they were fairly new and good quality), a concrete bird bath and a large potting table on the side of the house. We were supposed to close on Tuesday and got a call on Monday morning to come remove everything. But that wasn't the worst of it. There had been a hail storm over the weekend and the very large driveway was full of leaf debris from the storm and they wanted it all removed before closing! My poor realtor was out there trying to sweep the leaves - an impossible task. We borrowed my neighbor's extension cords, blew the leaves off the driveway and packed up everything that wasn't attached. It was a rather unpleasant finish to a stressful sale.

Old 11-25-2017, 08:58 AM

4,734 posts, read 3,130,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
We left a minimal amount of things that I would have wanted if I were a buyer - a small shelf in the garage, a wooden silverware tray in the kitchen drawer, the curtain rods we took down for the showing (they were fairly new and good quality), a concrete bird bath and a large potting table on the side of the house. We were supposed to close on Tuesday and got a call on Monday morning to come remove everything. But that wasn't the worst of it. There had been a hail storm over the weekend and the very large driveway was full of leaf debris from the storm and they wanted it all removed before closing! My poor realtor was out there trying to sweep the leaves - an impossible task. We borrowed my neighbor's extension cords, blew the leaves off the driveway and packed up everything that wasn't attached. It was a rather unpleasant finish to a stressful sale.
Respectfully, as a buyer I wouldn't want the rods, birdbath, or potting table. Different strokes, I guess. Better to just remove all unless in contract and discussed during the deal.

Old 11-25-2017, 12:34 PM

13,889 posts, read 7,164,551 times
I left paint - was what I had used to do touch ups when getting the house ready so I know it was still fine, I had stored it inside the hall closet rather than in the garage so it was in a temperature controlled environment. I also left furnace filters, a water filter for the fridge, light bulbs for the can lights, replacement tiles, nice quality plastic trash barrel (private trash collection and I was going to place with city collection where the city issued cans that could be picked up by the automated truck). Every thing was labeled with where it could be used.

If the buyer had objected to any of it, I would have swung by and grabbed it and dealt with getting rid of it myself, but fortunately, he thanked me for all of it at the closing - specifically mentioned that he liked all the paint colors and that it was good to have the touch up paint.

I did have to get rid of plenty of paint when I had moved in, and in that case, if the seller had asked, I would have said that I didn't want it because I repainted every inch. But they were long gone (it was a relo for them) so I just dealt with it.

If there was something significant like a play structure, I would make sure that was addressed up front, one way or the other.

Old 11-25-2017, 01:50 PM

3,941 posts, read 1,902,800 times
Our winter house in Arizona came with an almost brand new washer and dryer, two bicycles, irrigation system parts, antlers mounted on a board and a few other odds and ends. Most of it we use, especially the washer and dryer. I'm not one to get bent out of shape over little things. When I sold my first house I did leave behind the 14 year old mower and snow blower. They were much too light duty for my new one acre lot and 3000 sq ft driveway and parking pad. I never heard any complaints about leaving them behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate