U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-27-2017, 07:22 PM
 
Location: Sector 001
6,022 posts, read 4,975,770 times
Reputation: 6547

Advertisements

Lesson learned... don't be nice and try to leave anything extra. You never know when you come across one of "them people" who are inflexible, super picky, and have to have everything a certain way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-27-2017, 09:09 PM
 
207 posts, read 63,409 times
Reputation: 352
Ever ask yourself how that rat snake got to be 4ft long?


Well , I was told by complete animal removal that snakes only come up to your home if they have a food source. He had been living in a small drywall hole in the garage next to the garage door. I watched him climb up the cinderblock wall , I never knew that snakes can climb walls. So , a few days later I meet my new next door neighbor and she tells me that the family before me was raising snakes to sell and my garage was full of big snakes , non poisonous . She then tells me he was raising chicks in the shed in the backyard for food for the snakes. This home is on the Red River in Tennessee mind you. The worst part of this ? The previous owners had moved to Germany , did he take his snakes? Or dump them in the river. The big rat snake, it had to have been living in my garage for awhile , the snake was fighting the technician , the snake didn't want to leave. This is 4 ft of pure muscle. Happy ending though , the snake is now living in Franklin , I was told its illegal to kill snakes in Tennessee so they get released back into the wild.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2017, 09:13 AM
 
Location: Virginia
2,689 posts, read 1,091,378 times
Reputation: 6871
Quote:
Originally Posted by little pink View Post
Ever ask yourself how that rat snake got to be 4ft long?


Well , I was told by complete animal removal that snakes only come up to your home if they have a food source. He had been living in a small drywall hole in the garage next to the garage door. I watched him climb up the cinderblock wall , I never knew that snakes can climb walls. So , a few days later I meet my new next door neighbor and she tells me that the family before me was raising snakes to sell and my garage was full of big snakes , non poisonous . She then tells me he was raising chicks in the shed in the backyard for food for the snakes. This home is on the Red River in Tennessee mind you. The worst part of this ? The previous owners had moved to Germany , did he take his snakes? Or dump them in the river. The big rat snake, it had to have been living in my garage for awhile , the snake was fighting the technician , the snake didn't want to leave. This is 4 ft of pure muscle. Happy ending though , the snake is now living in Franklin , I was told its illegal to kill snakes in Tennessee so they get released back into the wild.
Gosh, I'd have kept that rat snake for sure. I miss the one that used to live in my garage - he kept any mice out and was very unobtrusive. Of course, my garage is 90 years old and not all "finished" like so may are, but I store a lot of antiques there and hate to find mouse poop on them. Ugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2017, 09:48 AM
 
Location: North Texas
22,253 posts, read 28,389,417 times
Reputation: 23994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I don't see a problem w/them not wanting your lawn mower - either sell it or give it away. They may be planning on getting rid of carpeting all together or their own color, whatever. Just get rid of everything.
Right...OP should quit grumbling and quit making assumptions about what the buyer wants them to leave behind. I think if a buyer wants something, they should ask for it. Otherwise, don't assume they want any of your crap...including your leftover carpet or broken lawn mower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2017, 10:00 AM
 
207 posts, read 63,409 times
Reputation: 352
LOL , I should have sent him to your house. I have not seen one mouse this year , no poop , just nothing , now that is frightening
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2017, 12:45 PM
 
6,995 posts, read 4,491,106 times
Reputation: 6365
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Well, they decided to keep the extra carpet.

And they wanted the garage cleaned. Not simply vacant but cleaned and dusted. We passed that one over to our agent to deal with or explain why not, his option. I think anything more than broom clean is excessive. But maybe they're planning on having dinner parties out there by the light of the garage door opener.

It's Silicon Valley. We get a lot of strange people here.

lol. Dusting the garage. Hope your contract is airtight. If they find a cobweb somewhere they will say you didn't disclose an infestation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2017, 12:56 PM
 
Location: Brentwood, Tennessee
33,258 posts, read 31,829,373 times
Reputation: 60274
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post

It's Silicon Valley.
Now it all makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2017, 03:00 PM
 
Location: Round Rock, Texas
8,421 posts, read 7,910,417 times
Reputation: 10147
I left paint so that the new owners could at least see what colors were used. The cans were stored on shelving units, which I also left because those are useful in a garage. Our PO's left paint cans too. We simply dumped them, not a big deal. I agree, why get bent out of shape over trivial things unless things are really egregious...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2017, 05:31 PM
 
132 posts, read 55,927 times
Reputation: 350
The previous owner of our house left an old upright piano. It's my guess that the movers refused to move it or told her it would be extra, etc. It was left right by the back patio door (inside).

I was complaining about it, and my son-in-law told me that I just couldn't get rid of it. He's a lawyer. There are laws about abandoned property. I called the realtor to call the previous owner to get permission to get rid of it. The realtor found someone who wanted it.

I realize that most of you are talking about a few paint cans, etc. But a lot of time it costs people money to get rid of stuff. There is no free recycling to get rid of paint cans here so someone has to pay. Ditto chemicals, etc. Even the wood in the rack outside cost me $$$ to get rid of. It was too old to burn (three or four years), and the garbage people wouldn't take it. I would try to hide a piece in the garbage, and they kept kicking it out. I had to pay for lawn debris removal to get rid of it.

And don't get me started on the boards left propped up against the foundation. I got termites. They hadn't caused any damage yet, but they had infested the boards.

Please take your stuff with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2017, 06:41 PM
 
Location: West Madison^WMHT
2,784 posts, read 2,217,830 times
Reputation: 3311
Thumbs up don't leave "stuff' behind and assume the new owners will appreciate it

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSusana View Post
The previous owner of our house left an old upright piano. It's my guess that the movers refused to move it or told her it would be extra, etc. It was left right by the back patio door (inside).

I was complaining about it, and my son-in-law told me that I just couldn't get rid of it. He's a lawyer. There are laws about abandoned property. I called the realtor to call the previous owner to get permission to get rid of it. The realtor found someone who wanted it.
This varies by state, but in general, unless something is called out explicitly in the contract, stuff intentionally left behind in a house is property of the new owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSusana View Post
Even the wood in the rack outside cost me $$$ to get rid of. It was too old to burn (three or four years), and the garbage people wouldn't take it. I would try to hide a piece in the garbage, and they kept kicking it out. I had to pay for lawn debris removal to get rid of it.
That's what an outdoor fireplace/pit is for. If it's dry, it'll burn.

Quote:
quit making assumptions about what the buyer wants them to leave behind. I think if a buyer wants something, they should ask for it. Otherwise, don't assume they want any of your crap...including your leftover carpet or broken lawn mower.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSusana View Post
Please take your stuff with you.
I agree with the general sentiment -- don't leave "stuff' behind on the assumption that the new owner will want it, not even valuable and difficult to replace stuff like matching paint/tile/carpet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top